What's new

Is this Chatter?

Background: Rockwell 2C DE Razor (same as 6C), plate R1, Wilkinson Sword razor blade (fourth shave), wash face with Nivea Men Shower & Shave, use Cremo Sandalwood Shave Cream.

The first shave with this setup was very good. The shave was smooth and close. However, the second, third and fourth shaves weren't so good. I cut myself on these shaves. What seems happen is that the handle loosens up as I shave, causing the grip on the blade to loosen. The razor is no longer mild but becomes aggressive.

This seems to happen before the first pass (WTG) is complete. I suppose I have to keep checking the razor and tightening the handle.

Is this what's called "chatter?" Has anyone else had this problem?

Preface: I don't think chatter is a problem, but some do.

In your case, that's not what people are referring to when they reference "chatter". It just sounds like your handle is loosening up. Can you tighten it? or can you add a rubber washer to grip better or something?

I believe chatter refers to the flex of the blade in a razor head that doesn't clamp the whole blade securely. I'm guessing this is more of a problem for shallow angle (cap) shavers. I'm a steep angle shaver.(Riding the safety bar)

"the handle loosens up as I shave"

I agree with guitarslinger that a washer on the threads before screwing the handle on should correct the issue.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Or use Loctite. Or return it.
+1. A good razor should not come unscrewed under normal shaving conditions. While I do not have your Rockwell model, I have used a 6S every-other-day for two years. Not once has this occurred. I encourage you to contact Rockwell and give them the opportunity to make it right.

I also concur with @guitarslinger that most B&B references to chatter involve blade flexing, which is usually a razor design flaw where the blade is poorly secured. A razor shouldn't have the characteristics of a floppy kitchen knife.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I had a 6C with defective threads on the top cap. Luckily I bought two 6Cs. One for me and one for my son. One of them had issues screwing the handle to the top cap. By swapping components around I determined it was a bad top cap. They sent me a top and charged me for the shipping! So much for a lifetime guarantee.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would suggest doing what @guitarslinger slinger mentioned already and add a washer or spacer, it might be the thread is not bottoming all the way (did not tap deep enough)and preventing you from tightening properly. I would not add locktite to the thread because you have to loosen it eventually to remove the blade, very rare to hear about the Rockwell 6c having tightening issues.

This seems to happen before the first pass (WTG) is complete. I suppose I have to keep checking the razor and tightening the handle.
That should not happen and indicates a defect on the threading unless your are not doing it up tight enough which is unlikely. Have you a photo of the cap threaded post, side on? The problem may be with the handle but you cannot test that as your other two razors are two piece design.
I believe chatter refers to the flex of the blade in a razor head that doesn't clamp the whole blade securely. I'm guessing this is more of a problem for shallow angle (cap) shavers. I'm a steep angle shaver.(Riding the safety bar)
You get more chatter shaving at a steep angle due to the greater lateral force at the blade edge.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
If you have another razor, then it shouldn't be an issue sending your Rockwell back for replacement under warranty. Because you will have your other razor to get you by until then. I also come from a mechanics background, and I also can confirm, if the threads were not tapped deep enough, then there arn't enough threads to allow you to bottom out, which means you can't really get it tight enough. And I also concur, that added a washer, along with a lock washer, could also make a significant difference if you don't send it back in.

Perhaps the worst injury I ever experienced shaving was when using a very mild razor. In this case it was a Van der Hagen (Weishi) TTO razor which is reported to be one of the mildest razors available. My first such razor had a short handle 3" which I was holding near the open/close knob. AS I shaved, the doors on the razor started to open until the blade was no longer secure in the head. I got a very nasty gash in my cheek as a result.

Experience is a great teacher. The short handled razor is now in the drawer and I now use one with a 4" handle that is easier to hold. I also check after every pass to make certain the doors are closed tightly.

Twist to open razors have to have mechanism to easily open and close the doors. On a three piece razor, the handle should mount securely to the head without loosening. Thus, you should not experience the same loosening of the head and blade with a three piece razor that I experienced on my Chinese made TTO. If the head is not secure, there is something wrong with either the threads on the head or the internal threads in the handle. If the head is OK, you can easily replace the handle, but that should not be necessary on a well-made razor.

That should not happen and indicates a defect on the threading unless your are not doing it up tight enough which is unlikely. Have you a photo of the cap threaded post, side on? The problem may be with the handle but you cannot test that as your other two razors are two piece design.

You get more chatter shaving at a steep angle due to the greater lateral force at the blade edge.
Invicta, could you please be more specific about the photo you suggest?

I would suggest doing what @guitarslinger slinger mentioned already and add a washer or spacer, it might be the thread is not bottoming all the way (did not tap deep enough)and preventing you from tightening properly. I would not add locktite to the thread because you have to loosen it eventually to remove the blade, very rare to hear about the Rockwell 6c having tightening issues.
Of course not! I was being sarcastic about loctite as a solution.

Invicta, could you please be more specific about the photo you suggest?
Well perhaps two photos;
One with the cap on its back and the threaded post pointing upwards so we can check any threading defects on the post.
A second with the plate and cap together, again with the post pointing upwards.
You then measure how much the threaded post sticks above the plate, do that with a match stick as a depth gauge say. The depth of the threading in the handle should be a little deeper than that measurement which will allow the threaded post to fully lock down.
I hope you can understand what I want to look at.

Well perhaps two photos;
One with the cap on its back and the threaded post pointing upwards so we can check any threading defects on the post.
A second with the plate and cap together, again with the post pointing upwards.
You then measure how much the threaded post sticks above the plate, do that with a match stick as a depth gauge say. The depth of the threading in the handle should be a little deeper than that measurement which will allow the threaded post to fully lock down.
I hope you can understand what I want to look at.
Here are the pictures. Fortunately, I have a digital camera, closeup lenses and a computer.

As to the depth of threading in the handle as compared with the threaded post, the latter is about 6 turns deep, but the former is about 4 turns deep. I used a toothpick, not a match stick.
DSC_7900_2.jpg
DSC_7901.jpg
DSC_7904.jpg

The threaded post is okay but the handle has not been drilled and threaded deep enough, hence it is coming loose. Contact the vendor and tell them the handle is defective and not threaded deep enough making it dangerous to use because the plate and cap are not clamped down.
They should replace the handle or exchange the razor as it is defective; it is your right to have that defective item exchanged or they refund your money under consumer law. If you get no help from the vendor, contact Rockwell and they will put that right free of charge.
In the meantime you can use a washer as a spacer to make up the difference. However, I would suggest you do not use that razor until the issue has been resolved. You have two other razors to use in the interim.

The threaded post is okay but the handle has not been drilled and threaded deep enough, hence it is coming loose. Contact the vendor and tell them the handle is defective and not threaded deep enough making it dangerous to use because the plate and cap are not clamped down.
They should replace the handle or exchange the razor as it is defective; it is your right to have that defective item exchanged or they refund your money under consumer law. If you get no help from the vendor, contact Rockwell and they will put that right free of charge.
In the meantime you can use a washer as a spacer to make up the difference. However, I would suggest you do not use that razor until the issue has been resolved. You have two other razors to use in the interim.
Too late! I shaved with it today. That's shave #5 with this Wilkinson Sword blade. I tightened the handle very tight and it didn't come loose. The shave was smooth, but not deep. I did two passes, WTG and ATG.

I bought this razor directly from Rockwell. They provide 60 day return and lifetime warranty. Third part vendors don't. The third party vendors I considered were: Razor Emporium, Grown Man Shave and West Coast Shaving.

Top Bottom