What's new

Is this blade salvageable?

Picked this up dirt cheap online, but after getting it and looking at the edge, I’m wondering if the pitting on edge makes this not worth the effort. What do you pros think?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legion

Staff member
It's a bit rough.... You will have to drill down quite deep to get to clean steel, if it is there.

Set a bevel while checking with a loupe, no point in doing any cleaning up if after it is shiny it has swiss cheese at the bevel.

I would definitely try it out. I like trying to salvage really poor looking razors, but I love to hone. It might be a fun trying to see what you get out of it.

No way to really know until you try to set a bevel. All the cleanup in the world won't tell you how deep the pitting goes or if you have good steel for an edge.

That said, my guess is the you can get a good edge. I'd give it a try starting with seeing if I can get a good bevel.

You will hit good steel at some point, that's for sure.
If you don't have a good sub-1k stone, now would be the time to start thinking about getting one.

You will hit good steel at some point, that's for sure.
If you don't have a good sub-1k stone, now would be the time to start thinking about getting one.

I have a diamond plate, but I’m going to start on a 1k. 600 Chosera would be ideal, but we will see. I want blade to show some progress while sanding at 80 grit. If it looks like it has some good steel near edge I’ll give honing a whirl. Wish me luck!

Good luck I hope it works out. I think your going to have to hone for a good while to get to good steel but I may be wrong. I hope I am... I really like the profile of that blade I would like to see you bring it back.

Thx for the tips guys. I’ve been sanding the blade last few days a little at a time to get it respectable. Going to stop sanding here for now. I am at a point now where I will probably take it to the stones to see if a bevel is doable. Like you said, if too much pitting is present at edge, it’s junk and I’m not going to waste anymore time on it. We will see how it goes...

proxy.php

I still see some deep pitting.
This doesn't mean all is lost. They will develop small holes in the bevel but may still shave fine.
Do not give up on it because of how it appears.
Shave with it. They will pass in time and hopefully it will shave well throughout that period.

Top Bottom