What's new

Is this blade alignment out ?

I wouldn't try to use it again and I doubt flipping the cap around will correct what you have and if it did, I would still question why that was the case for a rather expensive razor.

I would want either a replacement or return for a refund.

My 0.02USD
You are right. I flipped the cap and it makes no difference.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I am very concerned about your experience. After all, PILS is also a razor that I always wanted to have.

↓Someone mentioned this problem on B&B a few years ago.
Birthday surprise - then disappointment - PILS 101NE

The last discussant mentioned↓. I think this may be the cause of the problem
"My old PILS had this issue on occasion--due to the design of the head and how it rotates it is possible to mis-align the blade when tightening. If I torqed on it I could get it to mis-align, if I was more gentle it wouldn't.
Several two and three piece razors have this issue, in my opinion.
I never found it to actually affect the shave, for what it is worth."

In addition, the shaving problem may come from the design itself, because many people have mentioned that the shaving angle of this razor is very different.

Bless you to find the cause of the problem, and I hope you enjoy using it.

I am very concerned about your experience. After all, PILS is also a razor that I always wanted to have.

↓Someone mentioned this problem on B&B a few years ago.
Birthday surprise - then disappointment - PILS 101NE

The last discussant mentioned↓. I think this may be the cause of the problem
"My old PILS had this issue on occasion--due to the design of the head and how it rotates it is possible to mis-align the blade when tightening. If I torqed on it I could get it to mis-align, if I was more gentle it wouldn't.
Several two and three piece razors have this issue, in my opinion.
I never found it to actually affect the shave, for what it is worth."

In addition, the shaving problem may come from the design itself, because many people have mentioned that the shaving angle of this razor is very different.

Bless you to find the cause of the problem, and I hope you enjoy using it.

Thanks for taking the trouble to look up that old thread.

Like I explained on the previous page of this thread, I tried an experiment whereby I secured the blade onto the head of the pils but did not Peyton it. The misalignment can still be seen.

This is deeply disappointing as I thought that they are supposed to be famous for their precision and I assumed they would have good customer service since they are one of the oldest artisanal shops making stainless steel razors in the industry

They are saying that u send it back to is and we will see if theres anything wrong to fix and send it back to u. I have no assurance they wont say it's fine and they send the same razor back to me again.

I notice that there doesnt seem to be any retailer who carries their razors anymore.

I am very disappointed with this company from this experience.
Well ,it seems you have no choice but to send it back, no good to use.
I once purchased a Rex ambassador from razor emporium and it had problems hanging up when I went to screw the top cap on the threads would bind. They had me to send it back and they fixed it and send it to me.
Not the same place or anything just a simple example is all.
You can't use that razor so, they need to make it right. Let us know.

If the cap width is unequal, wouldnt that make the razor more unsafe as the cap then exposes a changing degree of blade exposure down its length and therefore one end is cutting muh more than the other end?
It is difficult to say what is happening from the view above as that just shows blade reveal. The varying cap width may change the blade exposure but would that be significant to cause a problem shaving is a different matter. You really need to measure it to determine the variation. You also need to check if the cap edges are parallel because that would determine if the exposure is varying along the width.
From what I can see from other images, the blade locating tabs are on the base plate with corresponding slots in the cap. Therefore you should be able to measure the distance from slot to cap edge at four points to get a reasonable idea on the cap geometry. It is worth investing in a Vernier caliper to check these measurements. The non digital versions are relatively cheap and I find very useful.
My experience with the Fatip was that a 1mm change in cap width makes a significant change to how it shaves. The Fatip Mk1 has a 18mm width cap whereas the Mk2 has a 19mm width cap which tamed the exposure. I can shave safely with the Mk1 but just have to take a little more care.

It is difficult to say what is happening from the view above as that just shows blade reveal. The varying cap width may change the blade exposure but would that be significant to cause a problem shaving is a different matter. You really need to measure it to determine the variation. You also need to check if the cap edges are parallel because that would determine if the exposure is varying along the width.
From what I can see from other images, the blade locating tabs are on the base plate with corresponding slots in the cap. Therefore you should be able to measure the distance from slot to cap edge at four points to get a reasonable idea on the cap geometry. It is worth investing in a Vernier caliper to check these measurements. The non digital versions are relatively cheap and I find very useful.
My experience with the Fatip was that a 1mm change in cap width makes a significant change to how it shaves. The Fatip Mk1 has a 18mm width cap whereas the Mk2 has a 19mm width cap which tamed the exposure. I can shave safely with the Mk1 but just have to take a little more care.

I have just ordered a digital verbier caliper. It will take some time to arrive though

Well ,it seems you have no choice but to send it back, no good to use.
I once purchased a Rex ambassador from razor emporium and it had problems hanging up when I went to screw the top cap on the threads would bind. They had me to send it back and they fixed it and send it to me.
Not the same place or anything just a simple example is all.
You can't use that razor so, they need to make it right. Let us know.

I agree. It is paricuparly not good that they went back on their earlier promise to me that they would send me a replacement at their own charge.

While waiting for the digital calipers to arrive, I tried to measure the width of the cap down its length and found that the width is almost the same within a mm despite the optical appearance! If this is borne out by the more exact digital calipers then it means that the varying blade exposure is not caused by the cap differing in width as I had believed...

If so then what pils told me in their last email may be applicable to my razor after all though it still does not explain why the perceived misalignment is present even when the razor is not tightened at all

While waiting for the digital calipers to arrive, I tried to measure the width of the cap down its length and found that the width is almost the same within a mm despite the optical appearance! If this is borne out by the more exact digital calipers then it means that the varying blade exposure is not caused by the cap differing in width as I had believed...

If so then what pils told me in their last email may be applicable to my razor after all though it still does not explain why the perceived misalignment is present even when the razor is not tightened at all
A difference of 1mm makes a significant difference to the blade exposure e.g. Fatip Mk1 v Mk2.
The blade is located by the 2 tabs in the Pils base plate and that looks okay but you can also measure the distance from tab to safety bar edge, when the Vernier calipers arrive, to verify that. It is distance from the cap slot to the cap edge that may vary resulting in the cap fitting askew. I cannot see how the cap tightness affects the blade; this razor is non adjustable. You tighten the cap like any other non adjustable razor.
A couple of photos of the blade exposure from the cap end and looking at the safety bar line would be useful.
You need to get a few shaves with this razor because nicks and weepers are usually user error. It takes a little time to dial in a new razor. This razor seems to be considered as medium to mild as far as I can tell from various reviews.

I agree. It is paricuparly not good that they went back on their earlier promise to me that they would send me a replacement at their own charge.
If you paid for the razor with a Visa card, you might be able to get your bank to do a Visa chargeback, especially as you have the email from them offering you a refund and a replacement, then another email refusing to make good on that promise.

A difference of 1mm makes a significant difference to the blade exposure e.g. Fatip Mk1 v Mk2.
The blade is located by the 2 tabs in the Pils base plate and that looks okay but you can also measure the distance from tab to safety bar edge, when the Vernier calipers arrive, to verify that. It is distance from the cap slot to the cap edge that may vary resulting in the cap fitting askew. I cannot see how the cap tightness affects the blade; this razor is non adjustable. You tighten the cap like any other non adjustable razor.
A couple of photos of the blade exposure from the cap end and looking at the safety bar line would be useful.
You need to get a few shaves with this razor because nicks and weepers are usually user error. It takes a little time to dial in a new razor. This razor seems to be considered as medium to mild as far as I can tell from various reviews.

Yes you are right I think in your comments. I am thinking that maybe it is not the cap width that is the problem but it can be how the threading results in the cap either just before tightening or afterwards being askew relative to the baseplate. I will experiment to see if that is the case.

If you paid for the razor with a Visa card, you might be able to get your bank to do a Visa chargeback, especially as you have the email from them offering you a refund and a replacement, then another email refusing to make good on that promise.

They didnt offer a refund but they did offer to send a replacement razor. A couple of days later they seemed to change their mind with a subsequent email.

They didnt offer a refund but they did offer to send a replacement razor. A couple of days later they seemed to change their mind with a subsequent email.
Okay but the point is, you have a written record of them acknowledging a fault and offering a brand new razor as a replacement, an offer they later rescinded. I don’t where you are or who you bank with but with my old bank in the UK, I believe that would have been enough evidence for them to reverse the changes. If the vendor wants their money back, the onus is then on them to prove you are wrong. But you can do whatever you want of course, it’s your razor. :)

Okay but the point is, you have a written record of them acknowledging a fault and offering a brand new razor as a replacement, an offer they later rescinded. I don’t where you are or who you bank with but with my old bank in the UK, I believe that would have been enough evidence for them to reverse the changes. If the vendor wants their money back, the onus is then on them to prove you are wrong. But you can do whatever you want of course, it’s your razor. :)

Thanks for your suggestion.

I had a similar issue with my Maggard MR5. They didn't even ask for a picture. They sent out a new head immediately on their dime.
A few days later, I was changing blades, and noticed that if I held the razor by the tabs and slowly screwed the handle up, I could get equal blade exposure.
So I decided to just order a handle for the replacement head.
Yes, I shouldn't have to be super cognizant of putting a head on a razor, but it works well, and gives me a good shave with various blades.
Sucks that a mass retailer has more concern for their customers than a high end shop.
But I will certainly use Maggard Razors for future purcahses, and avoid PILS at any level.

I had a similar issue with my Maggard MR5. They didn't even ask for a picture. They sent out a new head immediately on their dime.
A few days later, I was changing blades, and noticed that if I held the razor by the tabs and slowly screwed the handle up, I could get equal blade exposure.
So I decided to just order a handle for the replacement head.
Yes, I shouldn't have to be super cognizant of putting a head on a razor, but it works well, and gives me a good shave with various blades.
Sucks that a mass retailer has more concern for their customers than a high end shop.
But I will certainly use Maggard Razors for future purcahses, and avoid PILS at any level.

So the issue with the maggards was the handle not the head? I am wondering if that is also the case with the pils caused by the way the threads like up at the end when the handle is screwed near its end. However unlike 3 piece razors the pils is a 2 piece with the baseplate coming with the handle.

Top Bottom