What's new

Is this blade alignment out ?

What you described was basically what I ended up doing...i have to say I really like the look of the razor and the shave it gave me yesterday was really good...
Good.

Yeah, I am a big fan of this razor, as you probably guessed. I like razors with this design.

I have the Pils, the S3S, the original brass SBS, and the aluminum SBS. I used to have the original Tradere SB, as well, but I sold it when I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

Good.

Yeah, I am a big fan of this razor, as you probably guessed. I like razors with this design.

I have the Pils, the S3S, the original brass SBS, and the aluminum SBS. I used to have the original Tradere SB, as well, but I sold it when I got an offer I couldn't refuse.

Was the tradere in the way it performed and cut from the pils? The pils is said to be mild but I do not find it mild at all. Compared to the masamune and the fatip piccolo gentile there seems to be a lot of blade exposure and feel with the pils but the safety bar seems to keep it domesticated most of the time unless one gets careless.

I agree with you about the Pils. A lot of people say it is very mild but mine is definitely mid-aggressive. The iKon Modern was super mild, but they only made 80 of them. The S3S is also considerably milder than the Pils, and is a very smooth shaver (different from the Pils in that it is a three-piece and also that it is safety bar on one side and open comb on the other).

The Tradere was also much smoother on my face than is the Pils. Very little blade feel. Just a super smooth shaver. Not aggressive at all; more efficient than the face feel would suggest.

I agree with you about the Pils. A lot of people say it is very mild but mine is definitely mid-aggressive. The iKon Modern was super mild, but they only made 80 of them. The S3S is also considerably milder than the Pils, and is a very smooth shaver (different from the Pils in that it is a three-piece and also that it is safety bar on one side and open comb on the other).

The Tradere was also much smoother on my face than is the Pils. Very little blade feel. Just a super smooth shaver. Not aggressive at all; more efficient than the face feel would suggest.

Is the degree of blade exposure in the sense of how muh blade sticks out from under the cap,in my pils the same as in yoir pils?

What you described was basically what I ended up doing...i have to say I really like the look of the razor and the shave it gave me yesterday was really good...

Have you looked at the Blackland Tradere? The head of the Tradere is not dissimilar to the PILS. I bought an original Tradere when the first came out and was torn between it and a PILS. I've never regretted my Tradere.

Have you looked at the Blackland Tradere? The head of the Tradere is not dissimilar to the PILS. I bought an original Tradere when the first came out and was torn between it and a PILS. I've never regretted my Tradere.
Yes I have actually. I do find the shape of the tradere head to look top mich like the pils head (the handle obviously looks very different). Shane however thinks the tradere cuts very differently from.the pils - which is good actually. Kingfisher also agrees as he stated above.

This is going to be probably an unexpected end to this thread but I have decided to keep the pils razor after all. After I belatedly figured out how to adjust the cap to make sure it is aligned, it shaves superbly and after I used it for 3 consecutive days it has given me a great shave every time. In fact I dont think anymore that it even matters to straighten the cap because the razor still seems to cut the same. But for aesthetic reasons i still do so.

I have to say thought that I dont know why many people say it is a mild razor. It shaves very efficiently by my admittedly limited standards. I dont have the experience of many on this forum of having used aggressive razors like large gap wolfman or blackbird etc. For my needs anyway the pils is plenty efficient enough being probably the most efficient of my current razors that are admittedly usually considered to be on be mild side.

Also i find that if you get careless with it and fling it around it will cut you. But once you get the technique down right ans let the heavy head do its job to put just the right degree of pressure on tbe blade, it plows through stubble like a lawnmower through grass.

I particularly liked using the kai blade with it. The stiffness and flat loading suited it to a T.

Fnally the aesthetics of the pils are hard to beat. Owning one is like having one of the most iconic modern razors ever made - I find myself admiring the design every time I use it.

Last edited:
This is going to be probably an unexpected end to this thread but I have decided to keep the pils razor after all. After I belatedly figured out how to adjust the cap to make sure it is aligned, it shaves superbly and after I used it for 3 consecutive days it has given me a great shave every time. In fact I dont think anymore that it even matters to straighten the cap because the razor still seems to cut the same. But for aesthetic reasons i still do so.

I have to say thought that I dont know why many people say it is a mild razor. It shaves very efficiently by my admittedly limited standards. I dont have the experience of many on this forum of having used aggressive razors like large gap wolfman or blackbird etc. For my needs anyway the pils is plenty efficient enough being probably the most efficient of my current razors that are admittedly usually considered to be on be mild side.

Also i find that if you get careless with it and fling it around it will cut you. But once you get the technique down right ans let the heavy head do its job to put just the right degree of pressure on tbe blade, it plows through stubble like a lawnmower through grass.

I particularly liked using the kai blade with it. The stiffness and flat loading suited it to a T.

Fnally the aesthetics of the pils are hard to beat. Owning one is like having one of the most iconic modern razors ever made - I find myself admiring the design every time I use it.
Good choice. I agree with everything you said in this post.
It is efficient, beautiful, and iconic, and the cap alignment probably doesn't really make much of a difference.
I'm glad you were able to make peace with it and that you will be able to continue to enjoy it.

Congrats! Truly. You made a decision after weighing the pros and cons. I envy that kind of quality thinking.

I've no doubt you'll never regret the decision. I certainly learned a great deal from reading this thread and I'm happy you posted and that those who participated did as well.

Good choice. I agree with everything you said in this post.
It is efficient, beautiful, and iconic, and the cap alignment probably doesn't really make much of a difference.
I'm glad you were able to make peace with it and that you will be able to continue to enjoy it.
I think this is where cultural and personality differences may be the cause. I certainly would have felt better if the shop had worked through the issue with me better. Also this seems to be something that pils should look into design wise to prevent the issue from arising as it is not unreasonable for aesthetic reasons to expect the cap to line up perfectly every time when the handle is screwed in.

Having said that a few seconds of fiddling fixes it If it arises and it doesnt seem to hae any effect on the shaving performance of the razor which shaves very closely - at least as well as any othe rrazor I have used and possibly even more.

Last edited:
Congrats! Truly. You made a decision after weighing the pros and cons. I envy that kind of quality thinking.

I've no doubt you'll never regret the decision. I certainly learned a great deal from reading this thread and I'm happy you posted and that those who participated did as well.

Thanks. It is an unusual experience as it started off with disappointment which turned to a pleasant surprise and satisfaction after all.

Even though I don't have high-end razors but love to and enjoy reading about it especially unique types. I have followed this thread with interest and I am glad for a good conclusion and a happy ending after-all for @Zwiehander!!

Best of luck and enjoy great shaves...thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom