What's new

Is this blade alignment out ?

I just received this razor. Would you consider this blade alignment to be acceptable? It looks like the cap is not aligned with the bottom plate... would such an issue create different aggressiveness from one end to another and increase the possibility of nicking oneself while shaving?

Attachments

• 20200710_002839.jpg
    20200710_002839.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 244

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would definitely contact who you bought it off if it was new and show them the photo and let them know what your concerns are.

I would send this pic to them that does not look even, I wouldn’t accept it like a $25 Fatip

Thanks I have done that and am awaiting their reply. It is ironic you mentioned fatip because i exanined my fatip more carefully after I got the pils and realised the blade alignment is slightly off in the fatip (though not as much i think as this pils). It doesnt seem to make any difference to the shaves the fatip delivers though and as you said, an entirely different expectation is had of tfefatip that may be 8 times cheaper!

Not acceptable if that razor cost you more than $10.

I am really surprised though as I had never read any suh experience with this manufacturer which is well known for their workmanship. The razor itself is along with the masamune one of the most iconic contemporary razor designs ever made to my eyes. It is simply stunning in appearance and the razor felt well balanced with even the slim handle that many complain about feeling comfortable to hold and wield.

Did you mention what kind of blade is in it? I suppose you tried a different blade or to see if the blade can be moved while the razor is loose? Flip the top cap around?
If you have done all those things it would appear is just the razor. I was looking somewhere where Kai Razer blade give a problem as such I believe, in a particular razor

Did you mention what kind of blade is in it? I suppose you tried a different blade or to see if the blade can be moved while the razor is loose? Flip the top cap around?
If you have done all those things it would appear is just the razor. I was looking somewhere where Kai Razer blade give a problem as such I believe, in a particular razor

I used a nacet and feather and both had the same result. I will try to turn the cap the other way around to see what happens. I tries to use it a second time and it nicked me a good one so I dont think I will try again.

I wouldn't try to use it again and I doubt flipping the cap around will correct what you have and if it did, I would still question why that was the case for a rather expensive razor.

I would want either a replacement or return for a refund.

My 0.02USD

I used a nacet and feather and both had the same result. I will try to turn the cap the other way around to see what happens. I tries to use it a second time and it nicked me a good one so I dont think I will try again.
That's a bad deal. Was it a new or used purchase?

New from the pils shop. One really good development though is that when I contacted them they said they will be sending me a new replacement razor.
Oh good well I guess it happens.
When I bought my Rex ambassador the bottom part wouldnt screw the top cap on it every couple of times, I had to send it back for repair.

I got a nasty surprise by email today. Despite pils shop confirming to me by email a couple of days ago that they are indeed sending me a new razor to replace the defective one- today's email declared to me that there is no defect. Apparently according to them it is not possible for there to be misalignment and I must have over tightened the razor head thus creating the false impression that the blade is misaligned. So now they are mot only refusing to send me a replacement but if i want to send the razor they sent me back to them, I have to do it at my cost.

So I try a little experiment and I install a razor blade in the razor and close the cap on it and I secure it but I do not tighten it so it is slightly loose. The results to my eye is that the blade is misaligned in exactly the same way regardless of whether it is tightened or not...

Apparently according to them it is not possible for there to be misalignment and I must have over tightened the razor head thus creating the false impression that the blade is misaligned.
That is rubbish and cannot be caused by over tightening; teutonic gobbledegook.
The cap edges are not equal width and are not parallel as far as I can see. That is a Friday afternoon job!
Get yourself a Vernier gauge and measure it; you will probably find the cap width is unequal. The edges are therefore not parallel.
Also take out the blade and assemble the razor and you will find the distance from cap edge to safety bar edge varies. Not a standard I would be happy with after paying that sort of money.
What I do notice is the blade seems to load parallel to the safety bar. It probably shaves okay so try a week of shaves with it.
Pils1a.jpg

Last edited:
I got a nasty surprise by email today. Despite pils shop confirming to me by email a couple of days ago that they are indeed sending me a new razor to replace the defective one- today's email declared to me that there is no defect. Apparently according to them it is not possible for there to be misalignment and I must have over tightened the razor head thus creating the false impression that the blade is misaligned. So now they are mot only refusing to send me a replacement but if i want to send the razor they sent me back to them, I have to do it at my cost.

So I try a little experiment and I install a razor blade in the razor and close the cap on it and I secure it but I do not tighten it so it is slightly loose. The results to my eye is that the blade is misaligned in exactly the same way regardless of whether it is tightened or not...
So they're not sending you one and to take a look at that one you will have to pay shipping. Okay what's the agreement after you ship it back? I would definitely make them sign for it and take pictures if they're acting like that. I probably express it to them I don't know maybe you can get some good advice here.
Sounds bogus to me. I wonder if there's any merchants on this forum that deal with that company that would mind pointing you to the right person so you don't get jerked around anymore

That is rubbish and cannot be caused by over tightening; teutonic gobbledegook.
The cap edges are not equal width and are not parallel as far as I can see. That is a Friday afternoon job!
Get yourself a Vernier gauge and measure it; you will probably find the cap width is unequal. The edges are therefore not parallel.
Also take out the blade and assemble the razor and you will find the distance from cap edge to safety bar edge varies. Not a standard I would be happy with after paying that sort of money.
What I do notice is the blade seems to load parallel to the safety bar. It probably shaves okay so try a week of shaves with it.
View attachment 1126448

Thanks for taking the trouble to illustrate what you mean. If the cap width is unequal, wouldnt that make the razor more unsafe as the cap then exposes a changing degree of blade exposure down its length and therefore one end is cutting muh more than the other end?

I tried to shave twice with it previously and I got nicked both times ... I am not sure if it's my technique but I'm inclined to think this defective geometry is at fault.

So they're not sending you one and to take a look at that one you will have to pay shipping. Okay what's the agreement after you ship it back? I would definitely make them sign for it and take pictures if they're acting like that. I probably express it to them I don't know maybe you can get some good advice here.
Sounds bogus to me. I wonder if there's any merchants on this forum that deal with that company that would mind pointing you to the right person so you don't get jerked around anymore

They are saying that u send it back to is and we will see if theres anything wrong to fix and send it back to u. I have no assurance they wont say it's fine and they send the same razor back to me again.

I notice that there doesnt seem to be any retailer who carries their razors anymore.

I am very disappointed with this company from this experience.

Top Bottom