What's new

Is this an SE or DE and is it used for scraping a hide or for shaving?

The Captain likes uncertainty I guess. Just bought this and little is known about it other than it was made in France probably 80 years ago or so. I don't even know what blade is used in it. Based on the pics can you help me out here? I believe it is silver as it seems to be tarnished in the way silver does. It appears that the blade may be locked into place by rotating the knob on the bottom which may be how the square inset is rotated into position. Note the two positions in the first two pictures.

I bought it since it is such an odd looking thing and who knows?

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Most fleshing tools (taxidermy, etc.) don't have replaceable blades. What you have there is definitely a Prima SE safety razor, silver plated. Great find!

Ah, most helpful - had not seen that @Gryffindor and @Jay21. Thank you!

So, what do I do regarding a blade - if I break a DE in half will that do it? Based on the images posted it is not clear that they will fit. Or are the blades proprietary to that razor alone? There seems to be precious little that I can find on it.

Some options..

Modified Gem:

3FDED79D-6D53-4B1B-8EC0-94855D501E17.jpeg

Modified DE:

BB8166D6-1B35-48E1-8651-56342636C87E.jpeg

…a thread:

Ah, most helpful - had not seen that @Gryffindor and @Jay21. Thank you!

So, what do I do regarding a blade - if I break a DE in half will that do it? Based on the images posted it is not clear that they will fit. Or are the blades proprietary to that razor alone? There seems to be precious little that I can find on it.
You can do as above, but it's rather a PITA. Injector blade cut outs are just a tad too small. Place electricians' tape in front of and on the outside edges of the posts and you can use a bladed needle file to trim them back to perfectly accept an Injector.

Yours is silver finished, not the more common chrome, so it should mod more easily & is a great refinish candidate!

You can do as above, but it's rather a PITA. Injector blade cut outs are just a tad too small. Place electricians' tape in front of and on the outside edges of the posts and you can use a bladed needle file to trim them back to perfectly accept an Injector.

Yours is silver finished, not the more common chrome, so it should mod more easily & is a great refinish candidate!

This is so typical of me, wade right in and... ugh!

Caught up short by a French razor that accepts only unique proprietary blades. I should have known but thought it looked odd enough that it would be fun. I actually don't need any drama and when this arrives from France it looks like drama will commence. I did order injector blades from Maggard today and will pick up a file at Ace.

If I understand, I need to file back the posts on two sides. First, there is the side of each post that is closest to the outside edge of the razor. Secondly, there is the side of each post between the post and the side where the blade cuts. Do I have that right?

In the link up above in this thread there is much made about how aggressive this razor is, pretty much unusable. Can I tame it down by how or where I file the posts down?

If I leave the posts as is, it guess I am reduced to drilling the blades and hoping I get it right each time.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. I have also informed the First Mate that if I don't survive the first shave that I be buried at sea...

Here is a pic of the slotted injector blade and the posts on the razor are round as seen above.

baseimageINJ010.jpg

Here are pics of mine. My "safe edge" was not knocked back enough, but the marks are not nearly as severe as they look. The posts are only 2-3mm high, so it is a tight job.
IMG_20220924_160501336.jpg

Pictures are just what I needed, @Rob72 - thank you.

Based on how yours shaves would you file the posts any differently or just as you have done here? Give me an idea if you would on how aggressive yours shaves if I may ask. Thank you for your assistance.

Pictures are just what I needed, @Rob72 - thank you.

Based on how yours shaves would you file the posts any differently or just as you have done here? Give me an idea if you would on how aggressive yours shaves if I may ask. Thank you for your assistance.
Honestly, its very Schick-like, probably most comparable to the early Repeaters.

I like a fair amount of blade-feel and efficiency, but I could not see moving the blade forward unless you like the DE-vette style shaving.

Well, I have it in hand now having traveled here from Bulgaria of all places. I did use a small file that did the trick but it was not easy. As noted above by @Rob72, the posts that hold the blade only stick up about 2mm. I did try the electrical tape to no avail. In order to get it filed down it was necessary to simply have at it. And yes the interior looks like a mess and yes it was either that or it won't hold a blade.

Good tip from @Gryffindor to try an injector blade in it with the posts shaved down so it will just fit. The top flips up and over. It is held in place by an incredibly strong spring. You push up on the base and if you push hard enough the retaining post at the top will protrude. Then you rotate the post and now the top can flip up to change the blade.

The third picture show even blade exposure across the width of the razor. The razor is actually smaller than I was expecting.

I will be giving it a whirl and see what happens over the next few days.

IMG_8701.jpeg

IMG_8700.jpeg

IMG_8698.jpeg

IMG_8696.jpeg

Top Bottom