What's new

Is this a KAI?

I don't normally question my blades, but is this a KIA? Plain white wrapper and no printing on the blade.

Is this the future for blade manufacturing? Seems like a counterfitters dream. One blade, one wrapper, and stuff them into whatever box that is wanted.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
When I had some a few years ago, they were like that. No stamps, simply wrapped and really sharp!

I have 69 different blades and every one of them has the blade marked in some way, even plain wrapper ones except for this KIA.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, I just think of the car every time I read it and I say to myself "nope, that's definitely not a Kia"

Thanks for the correction. I normally am very aware of my English. I have a little trouble with my foriegn languages.:blink:

I have Tomy blades from Israel that have no markings and come in plain white paper.

That interesting. I recieved two blades from someone who said they were Tommy blades. One had a white wrapper with a blade that had nothing on it. The second had a different kind of white paper and lettering on the blade but nothing indicating it was a Tommy blade. I figured a mistake had been made in labeling them and set them aside as unknown. So I guess the unmarked blade could still be a Tommy blade, but it could also be a Kai blade. It looks exactly like the Kai blade when I set them side by side.

I suppose I will need to obtain a Tommy blade from a reliable source.

Sorry, not trying to be rude, it just makes me think of submachine gun.

Actually, I just couldn't resist, :laugh: but it really is Tomy, or TOMY (it always seems to be capitalized).

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
TOMY and KAI are completely different blades. KAI is Japanese and TOMY are made by Personna in Israel.

I don't think anyone was claiming they're the same, just saying they look the same, which I assume all blades with no writing would look similar. I'm still curious whether the center hole on KAIs are smaller than other blades.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
KAI indeed and they rock ... overpriced, arguably, but made in Seki City: much historic renown for its blades.

What your Samurai shaves with, arguably.

No! they probably shave with the smaller sword of the two ... the waka-something. Hai!

AA

It is smaller. And the blades themselves are a bit thicker than others.

I recently measured my KAI blade thickness compared with Feather, Crystal and PolSilver. All measured about 0.1mm; even though they were dimensionally the same, the KAI blade felt stiffer (more resistance to bending) than the others. Must use a different material?

Sorry, not trying to be rude, it just makes me think of submachine gun.

Actually, I just couldn't resist, :laugh: but it really is Tomy, or TOMY (it always seems to be capitalized).

There you go. Got me again. Now what language is this one? Actually, the guy that gave them to me wrote Tommy on the wrapper. I never checked the spelling. Can I get a pass On this one?:blink:

Got me curious; I saw another thread saying KAI blades have a smaller center hole than, at least, Feather blades. Maybe place them on top of each other and see if there's a difference.

Here's a picture of a Tomy blade from liorfe.com:/tomy_liorfe2-500x500_2048x2048.JPG?v=1418729975
The KAI visually looks like a Feather. I measured the center hole on the KAI and a Silver Blue, and the KAI blade does have a smaller hole.

KAI 4.73-4.75mm
Silver Blue 4.92-4.94mm

Thickness differrence is almost beyond the resolution of my caliper. After multiple measurements the KAI blade is thicker than the Silver Blue.

KAI 0.1mm
Silver Blue 0.08-0.09mm

On the TOMY blades, I received the blades loose and did not see the box, so I am in doubt as to one or both being TOMY blades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom