What's new

Is this a good SR? Rare? Hard to find? i want it bad

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
No matter what your “skills” not one of them is worth the time or trouble to even consider bothering with.
I agree, hence I recommended that he give them a miss.
I have some skills but why consider it for a newbie?
To get the one in the right to begin working you’d have to thin the spine to what? 1/8”? To have a 3/8 inch useless blade?
Yes but their are ⅜ SRs out there and used by some (not me).
The center with a major crack in the middle ?
That's why I said it is toast (meaning useless).
The left ,, buy it to make a shortie?
I don’t understand.
You cut the broken end off leaving you with a shorter blade.
I was attempting to be gracious. But you don’t fix items beyond fixable. They’re destroyed. Why consider it?
It’s just my take on it.
Except for the centre one, they are not beyond fixable. Just depends if you want to put the effort in to get a result that may work. Me, like you, wouldn't be bothered. I recommended that he give them a miss.

Perhaps you missed reading my last paragraph.

Last edited:
Why do people sell these? yes one can grind, one can reshape. But just because I found it/them at the bottom of a box in an attic in a haunted house for free. These become workshop tools, or experimental blanks. I would be embarrassed to think of selling them. Not every old bit of shagged history is a gold mine.
On the Dutch second hand market about half of them are in this condition. What is worse is the sellers call them “collectible” and expect to go away for at least 30 US dollars a piece. These guys are completely detached from reality.

Yes but their are ⅜ SRs out there and used by some (not me).

That's why I said it is toast (meaning useless).

You cut the broken end off leaving you with a shorter blade.

Except for the centre one, they are not beyond fixable. Just depends if you want to put the effort in to get a result that may work. Me, like you, wouldn't be bothered. I recommended that he give them a miss.

Perhaps you missed reading my last paragraph.
Well I was confused when you said if someone had good SR grinding skills they could repair 3 razors that were useless and totally broken. And then pass .
My apologies.

On the Dutch second hand market about half of them are in this condition. What is worse is the sellers call them “collectible” and expect to go away for at least 30 US dollars a piece. These guys are completely detached from reality.
"Collectable'' is a word I can accept, but not in this context, as you say the price asked for a "Rare" item such as this [I loath the over use of the word 'rare' unless it is actually rare] .... well they are rare? no? how many have you seen with exactly that break in them? one, totally unique ! and unique commands a premium price, especially Dutch ones. :ouch1:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Herder 49 are not rare razors, they come up often in better condition. They’re good razors. A few years ago, you could get them with the ‘ace of spades’ scales for around $85-120, and bare NOS blades sold for around $70, though prices are higher now, like everything else of course. Save an eBay search and a nice one will pop up soon. The Herder 72 is a more valuable razor, but no idea what they’re bringing these days.

And ditto, those are junk.

IMG_4584.jpeg

Last edited:
Restoration begins at purchase. Buy the best razors in the best condition you can afford.

Do not buy rusty, chipped, cracked or spine worn razors. Often a chipped razor is from impact damage. The damage to the steel can go way past the bottom of the chip, as much as twice the depth of the chip.

I recently bought 2 Filarmonica No.12, razors from antique stores, $15 each. A very nice, clean first generation and another near NOS in the White box with no hone wear, doubt it was ever honed.

There are millions of razors in the wild, another will come along if you look.

Some of those ace of spades 49s have been fetching Fili prices lately on the auction site. I'm not sure why. They're nice razors though.
The Herders are very nice, and shave wonderfully.

I know there are lots of Filli lovers here, so I'll choose my words carefully... The e-bay Herder in question is very nice... looks to have zero hone wear. It is grossly overpriced, but, in my hands, I'm sure I could get as nice a shave off of it as my Filli 14.

I am now donning my flameproof outfit!

The Herders are very nice, and shave wonderfully.

I know there are lots of Filli lovers here, so I'll choose my words carefully... The e-bay Herder in question is very nice... looks to have zero hone wear. It is grossly overpriced, but, in my hands, I'm sure I could get as nice a shave off of it as my Filli 14.

I am now donning my flameproof outfit!
Oh, I agree, and don't mistake my cost comparison to an assignment of value. I'm blessed to own both a a Herder 49 and a Fili EPBD, and other than the size and shape, I don't find them to be all that similar. I could definitely see someone picking one over the other depending on their preferences.

I will say that my Herder rings like a tuning fork if you tweak it with your thumb: more than any of my thinner ground razors even. I doubt that it affects the shave quality, but it shore is purty.

These would be good if cheap, and I mean real cheap, to practice shortening, shaping, etc without over heating the blade.

I wouldn’t pay much more than shipping for them

Oh, I agree, and don't mistake my cost comparison to an assignment of value. I'm blessed to own both a a Herder 49 and a Fili EPBD, and other than the size and shape, I don't find them to be all that similar. I could definitely see someone picking one over the other depending on their preferences.

I will say that my Herder rings like a tuning fork if you tweak it with your thumb: more than any of my thinner ground razors even. I doubt that it affects the shave quality, but it shore is purty.
Not to disagree at all... I only quoted your post because it mentioned that expensive e-bay Herder. We are in complete agreement!

Top Bottom