What's new

Is this a good first straight razor?

I don't think it would be harder to hone than any other razor, but honing your first razor, might be a bit tough. You may want to buy this razor and have it professionally honed first, so you know what a nice edge is supposed to feel like. I am a vintage razor guy, so my opinion may be a bit slanted, but my suggestion would be to pick up a few less expensive, shave ready razors which you can practice on first. This would be much cheaper, give you some variety and experience, and be a stepping stone toward a larger investment. You can always sell those razors once you've decided to move on to a nicer set of razors.

I would not buy a new razor to learn to hone on... Definitely start with a nice used vintage in the $25-50 range. YMMV

Best wishes,

Matt

I don't think it would be harder to hone than any other razor, but honing your first razor, might be a bit tough. You may want to buy this razor and have it professionally honed first, so you know what a nice edge is supposed to feel like. I am a vintage razor guy, so my opinion may be a bit slanted, but my suggestion would be to pick up a few less expensive, shave ready razors which you can practice on first. This would be much cheaper, give you some variety and experience, and be a stepping stone toward a larger investment. You can always sell those razors once you've decided to move on to a nicer set of razors.

I would not buy a new razor to learn to hone on... Definitely start with a nice used vintage in the $25-50 range. YMMV

Best wishes,

Matt
Thanks! Do the new razors not come honed?

Many if not most, DO NOT come honed. You would need to check with whomever is selling it to you, to see if it is honed in house. A razor coming from the factory, typically is not shave ready, with the exception of some smaller manufacturers. I would definitely have any razor you buy from a vendor professionally honed, unless they explicitly say they honed it in house. There are a number of honemeisers out there, @Doc226 is who I use, but there are many more out there. No matter what you do, DO NOT let someone hone your razor, unless they, themselves shave with a straight razor. I've seen a lot of horror stories of guys who sent their razors off to a knife sharpener or a buddy.......

Dovo claims that their razors are honed "shave ready" at the factory. For some folks, that honing might be suitable. For those whose shaving needs are more demanding, the factory honing might not be sufficient. The only Dovo I have is a Dovo Bismark. When I first got it, I had to rehone the razor before I could get a comfortable shave, but others might have found it suitable.

I have found that some craftsmen like Ralf Aust and Heribert Wacker produce well made razors and do a good job of honing them as well. Dovo is a "factory-made" razor where various steps in the manufacturing process are done by various individuals. I prefer craftsman made razors where the entire process is in the hands of one individual who is putting their name on the product. Ralf Aust razors are highly-recommended by many for beginners.

Some vendors will hone razors before shipment, but you need to make sure the vendor knows what they are doing. Many vendors claim their razors are "shave ready", but not every one is able to deliver on that claim. If you purchase a razor from The Superior Shave, Maggard Razors, or Griffith Shaving Goods, you can ask them to hone it before shipment. There may be others as well, but I know these three know what they are doing. West Coast Shaving hones razors before shipment, but I have not purchased a razor from them, so I cannot confirm the quality of their honing.

There are also folks that do not sell razors made by others, but they will hone razors for a fee. Glen of Gemstar Custom Razors, who is known on the forums as "gssixgun" makes custom razors, restores vintage razors and hones razors. I have not used his services, but he has a great reputation. I have learned a lot from his honing videos.

Damn that's a nice looking Dovo!
Sure, great first razor. Try shaving with it. If it tugs and doesn't feel sharp enough - send it out for a honing so you know its a good edge.
Any razor is a good first razor. If you like the look of it buy it. Don't buy crap and expect it to be good.
Stay away from the Chinese junk.

My last 2 new razors were touted as "Shave Ready" - Boker King Cutter and Hen & Rooster. After stropping they could provide mediocre shave at best, both needing additional honing via Grandpa's 125 year old Arkansas stones, and pre-shave stropping.
You can pay extra to buy a honed razor from vendors such as Razor Emporium and get a true 'shave-ready' razor, but when you buy a factory razor proclaimed 'shave-ready' from some on-line knife shop, that wasn't honed by a competent seller, your results may be iffy at best, IMO.
Actually the only actual 'Shave-Ready razor I've bought was a Gold Dollar Classic, that gave an acceptable shave after some judicious stropping. Other cheaper Gold Dollars can double the cost of the razor with professional stropping when you buy one via shops such as Razor Emporium, but they also embellish on the handle, hone & strop & do other tweaks to justify the higher cost.

Last edited:
Dovo claims that their razors are honed "shave ready" at the factory. For some folks, that honing might be suitable. For those whose shaving needs are more demanding, the factory honing might not be sufficient. The only Dovo I have is a Dovo Bismark. When I first got it, I had to rehone the razor before I could get a comfortable shave, but others might have found it suitable.

I have found that some craftsmen like Ralf Aust and Heribert Wacker produce well made razors and do a good job of honing them as well. Dovo is a "factory-made" razor where various steps in the manufacturing process are done by various individuals. I prefer craftsman made razors where the entire process is in the hands of one individual who is putting their name on the product. Ralf Aust razors are highly-recommended by many for beginners.

Some vendors will hone razors before shipment, but you need to make sure the vendor knows what they are doing. Many vendors claim their razors are "shave ready", but not every one is able to deliver on that claim. If you purchase a razor from The Superior Shave, Maggard Razors, or Griffith Shaving Goods, you can ask them to hone it before shipment. There may be others as well, but I know these three know what they are doing. West Coast Shaving hones razors before shipment, but I have not purchased a razor from them, so I cannot confirm the quality of their honing.

There are also folks that do not sell razors made by others, but they will hone razors for a fee. Glen of Gemstar Custom Razors, who is known on the forums as "gssixgun" makes custom razors, restores vintage razors and hones razors. I have not used his services, but he has a great reputation. I have learned a lot from his honing videos.
What would you recommend from Ralf Aust? I live in EU so I can buy directly from him.

I see a lot of extra options like serrated blade and Schorkopf, what do you recommend?

What would you recommend from Ralf Aust? I live in EU so I can buy directly from him.

I see a lot of extra options like serrated blade and Schorkopf, what do you recommend?

For beginners, a 6/8" round point razor is a good place to start. If money is an issue, 5/8" razors are cheaper. The reason I recommend a 6/8" blade is that it is easier to see the blade angle with a 6/8" than the narrower 5/8". Although I love Spanish Point, French Point, Irish Point, and square point razors, for a newcomer, learning to use a round point is easier as you are less likely to nick your ear or nose with a round point.

Another choice is whether to purchase a razor with a thumb notch or without one. I have rather large hands and have difficulty honing, stropping, and shaving with razors that have a thumb notch, but many folks prefer them. 6/8" razors based on Bismark pattern blanks have a thumb notch.

The scales (handle) of the razor are a matter of personal preference.

If you are interested in a Ralf Aust razor, you might be interested in these reports of visits to his workshop. The video shows how he polishes, hones and strops his razors.

I have two Ralf Aust razors, a 5/8 and a 6/8. I like them both but prefer the larger razor. There is a bigger difference in size and weight than you might think. The blade serrations are also known as jimps. They are small cuts on the shank to improve gripping the razor. I prefer razors with jimps, some people do not. As far as I know, the Schorkopf is just for appearance and does not serve any real function.

Best wishes,

Matt

You can get 5 new Gold Dollar 66's shipping included, for less than $25.
I did that.

One of them will probably be straight enough for Honing 101.
One of them will probably be curved enough for Advanced Honing 202.

Dovo claims that their razors are honed "shave ready" at the factory. For some folks, that honing might be suitable
a while back when i wanted to get into straights, i purchased a dovo, hindsight, it was not shave ready. i tried to shave with it and it wouldn't drag so i put it down, and shelved it, until it became a rusty letter opener. i also chipped the bevel by cutting other things with it. back then i had very little knowledge about straights, i thought all i need to do is buy the razor and use it and about every six months i can take it to a knife sharpener. i didnt even know strops were a thing.

a while back when i wanted to get into straights, i purchased a dovo, hindsight, it was not shave ready. i tried to shave with it and it wouldn't drag so i put it down, and shelved it, until it became a rusty letter opener. i also chipped the bevel by cutting other things with it. back then i had very little knowledge about straights, i thought all i need to do is buy the razor and use it and about every six months i can take it to a knife sharpener. i didnt even know strops were a thing.

Unless the chip in the bevel is substantial, it may still be possible to restore the razor to shave ready status.

Unless the chip in the bevel is substantial, it may still be possible to restore the razor to shave ready status.
It can be, but it's also a little rusted, and its gonna cost more to get it shave ready then what the new razor is worth. Im gonna hold on to it so when i get into honing i have something to practice on.

a little rust is not a problem
before
811EFB39-5F70-41A0-B78B-B9ECF5EA4367.jpeg

after
4DD29D6E-4AF5-48D1-A724-BE0666E818CB.jpeg

Top Bottom