What's new

Is this a Fatboy?

Haha, no I'm not pointing at my belly!

Last Friday, I was looking around an antique consignment shop, and found what was marked as '65 Gillette Slim adjustable. I know nothing about vintage, but I've read enough on B&B to think I should consider trying this. At $13.50, it didn't seem like a big gamble, and everything seemed mechanically sound, though dirty. I went ahead and took her home with me.

I get home and start digging to see what information I could dig up on this. I noticed that the code on the bottom was F4, which leads me to believe that it's from 1960. And comparing the adjuster dial with pictures, this looks like a Fatboy, rather than a Slim.

I'm going to clean it up and use it, regardless, but I'd like to know if I'm correct. It doesn't look like it's going to shine up very well, but I don't see any plating loss, and it seems like it operates quite well. Should make a decent, usable, vintage to add to my budding collection, I hope.

So, Vintage Razor Experts, can you confirm my suspicion on this razor, please? I've got some other pics, if needed.
Fatty.jpg
Label.jpg

Sorry the lighting in the picture is terrible. It actually looks much better in person.

Soak that fatty in some scrubbing bubbles (no bleach) and have at the funky spots with an old toothbrush and he'll be good. If you have some polish, it will be no time before it looks gently used. Enjoy. And prepare for the eventual RAD.

That's a fatboy! One easy way to tell the difference between a slim and fatboy for future reference is the very bottom of the handle that twists is larger on the fat body and it's the same size as the handle on the slim. Great find though! They go for at least triple that on certain websites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats a fatty alright. great find at 13.50

-------------------------
PCs are very much like air conditioners. They both fall to **** once you open Windows.

Wow, thanks guys.

Now it's off to clean this sucker up. Can't wait to get a blade in it.

Nice score. Knowledge is power. Enjoy.
Correct! My knowledge of vintage grew just a bit today, so that's great.
And, thanks to B&B, it's what I had read here that made me even know that a "dirty old razor" could even be worth looking at.

There's been a few Fat Boys on here that have been DOA but now live again, thanks to a good cleaning and some love. Look up FrankenFatty or Katrina Fat Boy. Both rescued from the heap. I rescued Rust Boy. His story is too silly but can inspire. Look him up as well. And have fun with all of it.

Awesome find! I never get that kind of luck when I go to a shop like that. Only thing I ever see are overpriced plates and glass animal statues :)

Once you have it cleaned up, please post some pictures, especially of the letter and number codes on the underside of the base plate. That'll date it for you.

Top Bottom