What's new

Is this a dumb idea?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm too darn picky to trust someone else to do my prep. In winter my wife buys packages of pre-cut fresh "stir fry" vegetables. While it's nice to have freshies when the snow's up to yer bum, I actually honestly cut. Every. Single. Piece. Before I use it. Yeah, I'm weird. It's OK, I like my cooking (and my wife's).

Your idea isn't completely whomper-jawed. I do the same kind of thing with cookbooks. Some of the best cookbooks I've ever found for taking me to new culinary adventures are by Jeffery Alford and Naomi Duguid. They wrote several award-winning cookbooks when they were married -- Flatbreads and Flavors; Seductions of Rice; Hot Sour Salty Sweet; Homebaking; Mangoes and Curry Leaves; Beyond the Great Wall and others. They are no longer writing together, but Jeffery has published Chicken in the Mango Tree (a Thai cookbook) and Naomi has published Persia and Burma about those respective cuisines.

I also have a fascination with bread. I can geek out on bread theory for hours if Peter Reinhart writes it. I also love how Rose Levy Beranbaum approaches a baked good -- although I'm always amused when she suggests getting in a set or two of tennis or some shopping while the dough is proofing.

The advantage of the food kits is they give you what you need to do it. I had fits finding some of the special ingredients where I live when I helped test recipes. The author being in Toronto, of course this stuff is all over. Not so much out here in the ginseng.

O.H.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like the food kits . . . I did a lot of chef's plate meals and saved the recipes. They took me directions I would never have gone myself. At the time their kit for three meals for two people was about $55 plus tax . . . it is far lower right now. You do quickly recognize that if you know what you are doing and shop it would cost you far less but . . . really if you are busy and find yourself eating out or drive through a few times a week the kits are a healthier replacement.

I like the Sarah Owens book on sourdough. Also if you look on YouTube for Ben Starr . . . his stuff is a game changer makes the sourdough process so so easy.

Last edited:
Ok assume you realy want to eat healthy....
I am european so porrions might look small to you.
I. General on lots of pasta, rice packages they mention the portions

A portion of your warm diner is about 500g (1 lb). For a regular bloke not doing hard work or excercise or a kid growing. They need more.
500g of which:
50% vegetables, 25% carbs, 25% protein. Not enough add vegetables. Want to lose weight lower the carbs increase the veggies.

Learn to make lean broth and soup heavy in veggies. Great as lunch

Eat salads with your own made dressing (oil/vinegar/herbs).

If you make a sandwich add veggies. No Mayo! And as a European 25g of meat, cheese on that sandwich is allready much (let alone a 200g burger with cheese etc).
Skip the white air breath buy some heavy darker whole grain. 4 slices is fine.
A soft boiled egg is not bad (nice multivitamin).

Eat more fresh fish.

Eat yoghurt with fresh fruit and no sugar.

Snack on carrots, cucumbers etc. A hand of mixed unsalted nuts.

Use a skillet to grill instead of fry.

Buy a spray can for oil so you can spray the meat instead of the pan.

Deep fryer is a nono.

Sorry alcohol or soda are both not great.

If it is pre cooked packaged or conserved it is most likely considered junk. Using sauces which you did not diy is usual j.....

Last but not least do not do it in one go learn to cook with fresh ingredients in the end it tastes better and it is healthier. And indulge yourself from time to time in something bad.

Buy eggs ... some bell peppers , some onion ... crushed black pepper.. maybe some mild chilli powder .. anyway you mix them up or cook them is going to be good ..Omelets ..a mess of eggs and veg ... you cant go wrong .. try cooking with grapeseed oil ...very high smoke point so you wont stink out the kitchen ..

There is the idea of the Intuitive eating.

The way these meals sound like they lose wight by starving ones self..They never work.You just gain the it back..Just enjoy Food / Drink for what it is..

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like the idea. You can develop better eating habits and get some new perspective. Then, you can use your cooking skills to take it further, rather than depend on the service. Nice idea.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Worked for my younger sister. Prior to her divorce, they ate out almost every meal. She's using that Hello Fresh and loves it. Much healthier portion sizes, sugar and salt can be controlled.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I don't think it's a dumb idea.

If it helps you with inspiration that's great. Cook whatever inspires you, riff on it, make it your own. Max protein portion size in our house is about 6oz. Stir fry and Thai curry are healthy, quick, and relatively easy to make. I eat hard boiled eggs as a snack, I boil up a bunch every Sunday for the week ahead. Soft tacos are easy, serve with mashed avo and cilantro/lime sour cream, dribble on some hot sauce of you choice. Sky's the limit.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Top Bottom