What's new

Is this a Dovo Special 5/8?

Is this:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407700097.433992.jpg

A Dovo Special 5/8?

http://www.classicshaving.com/dovo-special-tortoise-5-8-factory-edge.html#.U-fMKNm9K0c

I don't know anything about straights and I want to understand what I have as a starting point.

I haven't tried this razor yet, I just want to understand my equipment.

Thanks for the ID!

Yep, that is what you have. The #1516 stamped on the tang is stamped nearer the pivot pin on newer razors, but they are the same. It's a nice razor. You should get great shaves from it.

I just ordered one from SRD and got 30% off. I paid $100 down from $142. Bought a $60 strop also at 30% discount. Everything totaled to $142. I couldn't pass up the deal. The razor will be honed as well. Bottom line, I paid full price on razor and got the strop for free. I have only started using a Dovo shavette. I have 16 shaves and just get 1 tiny nick every so often. I started shaving my head at the 14th shave without problems. My shaves are decent, but I do touchup with a safety razor which gives me a super smooth shave. Although I have done well with the shavette with very little experience, I decided that I can use a traditional straight and not fear it. I had the same attitude when I first used the shavette. I can't wait!

@triggerone you raise a very good point - It reminds me of a lesson I learned early, when I started with power tools'

My father always taught me "Respect the tool, but do not fear the tool. Being afraid of the tool will do as much damage to you as failing to respect it. Respect it enough to control it, which you can't do if you're scared of it."

Upon reflection, that seems very like learning to shave with a bare blade.

Wow! I just got my very first straight razor today! I also got my black latigo strop as well. My Dovo Special 5/8 Full Hollow Tortoise razor is beautiful! It was shipped professionally honed and oiled. Now, I have to wait for the weekend to use it. I ordered these items on Sunday and got it today. Straight Razor Design did a great job getting it to me quickly. I will let everyone know how my very first shave will go.

Take it nice and slow, no inward pressure and just let 'er ride.

There is a learning curve, but you can get this. You're already 100% further along than 99.9% of men alive today!

Thanks Dzaw! Even though I only have 16 shaves with my Dovo shavette, I will use my traditional straight with the same approach. The limited experience in positioning my shavette will help me, but I know that the angle with a traditional straight is different. I have shaved my head twice with my shavette with very little DE touch up so I think I have ok skills going in to use a traditional straight. The main thing is that I am not afraid to use my new traditional straight because of my success with my shavette. Anyway, I will take the plunge in a few days.

Ok, I couldn't wait for Sat. to use my traditional straight. I took the plunge tonight. This was the first time that I used a straight. I had a 1 day stubble so I said to myself let's go. I only did 1 pass WTG on my face and neck. I ended with a decent shave and no nicks, cuts or weepers. I stropped the razor on the fabric and then the leather. I need some work on it but I did not scratch the leather. I broke my cherry and have officially joined the traditional straight shaving fraternity. What a great way to start!

Ok, I couldn't wait for Sat. to use my traditional straight. I took the plunge tonight. This was the first time that I used a straight. I had a 1 day stubble so I said to myself let's go. I only did 1 pass WTG on my face and neck. I ended with a decent shave and no nicks, cuts or weepers. I stropped the razor on the fabric and then the leather. I need some work on it but I did not scratch the leather. I broke my cherry and have officially joined the traditional straight shaving fraternity. What a great way to start!
:a50:

Well done!

Top Bottom