What's new

Is this a crazy auction, or what?

Okay, I know everyone thikns that the Wilkinson Sword Sticky is a nice razor, but there's an auction going on right now where one of these things, in really nice shape I must admit, is now at 100 British pounds and it still has more than 4 days to go. (item # 220016670956).

Now, is it just me, or does this sound like it's way over the top? I mean, the calculation in Canadian $ makes that over $200, for a sticky?

I know a few people on this board were really lusting for one of these, but this sems a bit high to me. Actually, I wanted one, but with SWMBO complaining that I picked up a 1948-50 Gillette SS for $12 as being too expensive, I can't IMAGINE what she would say to $212 dollars, plus shipping from the UK.

Um, actually I can imagine, and the thing is, I'd really miss her. :001_wub:

Peace,

Pierre

Pierre,
You are absolutely correct. When an item is talked up on the forums, you can bet it will go for absurd prices on eBuy!:frown:

guenron said:
Pierre,
You are absolutely correct. When an item is talked up on the forums, you can bet it will go for absurd prices on eBuy!:frown:

I agree that these boards can significantly drive up the price of e-bay lots - its all about the quest for the perfect shave, but I'm not sure that you need to spend hundreds of dollars to do this. Oh well, if you've got it, spend it.

Look on the bright side, you can still get GEMs and Ever-Ready's for a song and they're pretty popular over at SMF.

It's a shame neither of the two noobs in the bidding war don't know how to use ebay.If you look at the bid history the one guy himself is responsible for driving up the price like 90%.Thats why I snipe, to avoid these knuckleheads.....Adam

ASPJ said:
It's a shame neither of the two noobs in the bidding war don't know how to use ebay.If you look at the bid history the one guy himself is responsible for driving up the price like 90%.Thats why I snipe, to avoid these knuckleheads.....Adam

Yes, but if you also look at it, he was going in about increments of 5... Probably trying to hit the reserve without going excessively over it.

ASPJ said:

I dunno about being noobs, these guys have been around the block. I always see them bidding on razors. Who knows.

My understanding of ebay is that we you see one guy keep going up in the bid history, without intervening bids, it is not really that person doing anything. That usually means that he has set a maximum bid that is higher, and some other knucklehead is going up in $5 increments trying to find that first guy's max. This 2nd bidder's bids don't show on the history, because they are automatically topped, and thus never register as the high bid on the item.

moses said:
My understanding of ebay is that we you see one guy keep going up in the bid history, without intervening bids, it is not really that person doing anything. That usually means that he has set a maximum bid that is higher, and some other knucklehead is going up in $5 increments trying to find that first guy's max. This 2nd bidder's bids don't show on the history, because they are automatically topped, and thus never register as the high bid on the item.

That's been my experience as well. It's not someone going crazy, it's just someone slowly trying to get up to someone else's max bid. Kind of a strange way to do it, but it doesn't matter really. The truth is the first bidder put what looks like a 99 GBP max bid on this, which to me is what made me think this auction was a bit of the scales.

Oh well, if you want the razor and you have money that you haven't spent yet, I guess it's all good. It just seems to me like it's a pretty steep price for that razor, sough after or not.

Peace,

Pierre

It looks like no new bids for a couple of days. Unless someone is looking to open their wallets, mortgage their house, or sell their child to snipe this, this $25 razor is going to sell for a couple hundred CDN dollars.

Astounding. E-bay is truly a strange and wonderous place.

Peace,

Pierre

The seller was kind enough to throw in a plastic handled Gillette Tech for free, so the way I look at it I got the Sticky for a bargain and paid a premium for the plastic Gillette :lol:
I had my first shave with the Sticky this morning and it was very good, handles differently to the DE's I am used to (mainly Merkur) and that's not a bad thing by any means.
I can't really add anything to what Rusty has already posted about this razor, suffice to say I agree with what he has written.
Was it worth 114 GBP (including shipping) ? Value is subjective, it's worth what people are willing to pay for it and seeing as I said the next Sticky that came up would be mine that's the price I had to pay.
Also, whilst the box it came in is pretty much beyond repair, the razor itself is in mint condition, there's not so much as a single scratch on it.

I don't get it..Am I missing something?..That looks to be a 40's SS, It looks unused but $157...Yikes...........Adam

Top Bottom