What's new

Is there such a critter as a gold slim adjustable?

I won this bid yesterday. I got it because it is my exact birthdate code. I ended up only paying $14 (free shipping) but I am thinking it may be some kind of frankenrazor.

The bid I won is here

Can somebody tell what I have here?

That's not a gold Slim. Something in the lighting or color incorrectness of the photo is making it look gold, but the handle is clearly the regular color. Judging by the photos, I'd say you paid the right price for it.

Jeff in Boston

It looks like what you have there is a "standard" Gillette Slim with some serious brassing on one of the silo doors (the one that is facing "up" in the picture). The nickel plating has worn off and the brass metal that the razor is constructed in is showng through.

I am no expert, but from what I have read brassing has no effect on the quality of the shave. If you bought it to use - rock on - so long as it is mechanically sound, you have bought a razor that people here swear by as their daily shaver for a good price. If you bought it as a collectible, then you got a fair price but don't expect to make any money on it.

I agree with Jeff. I've also bought a couple that were covered in years of dust and dirt that looked like that one. And yes, Gillette did make a gold Slim.

It looks like what you have there is a "standard" Gillette Slim with some serious brassing on one of the silo doors (the one that is facing "up" in the picture). The nickel plating has worn off and the brass metal that the razor is constructed in is showng through.

I am no expert, but from what I have read brassing has no effect on the quality of the shave. If you bought it to use - rock on - so long as it is mechanically sound, you have bought a razor that people here swear by as their daily shaver for a good price. If you bought it as a collectible, then you got a fair price but don't expect to make any money on it.

Well, poo. I wasn't looking for a collectible so much as a daily use razor to pop into my rotation. I wanted a nice M4 slim I could clean up and use but I am too impatient to find one on the street and too cheap to buy a nice one off the bay. I got what I paid for. No biggie.

I wonder...if I could send it to have it replated in gold...purely for my own enjoyment cuz it's my birth year razor...now that's an idea.

Could be an Aristocrat Adjustable (basically a slim adjustable with gold plating). Looks like the plating is pretty heavily worn on this one...to the point where the underlying metal (brass?) is showing through.

Here's an Aristocrat Adjustable that I found today. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182923&referrerid=31638

That is one beauty of a find...for only $5! I must say, that the Aristocrat Adjustable is the most striking and beautiful of all of the Gillettes, I think!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
It is really hard to tell with poor picture quality. It is possible it is an Aristocrat with plate loss. And yes you can have them replated if you like. Let us know for sure when you receive it. Also take a look at Achim's website if you want to drool a while. http://www.mr-razor.com/

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is such a thing as a Gold Slim Adjustable, they called it an Aristocrat.
The razor you bought looks like it will clean up fine, I think it's just bad photography, too much saturation.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
That is what differentiates them. The slim is silver, the Aristocrat is gold. If you look at the web site I linked in my previous post you can see the difference.

So long as I can use it and it works, that's my main goal. If it works really well, I may consider the replating since it is, after all, my birth year razor. (I don't know why that is so appealing to me...)

Thanks for the help everybody!

That is what differentiates them. The slim is silver, the Aristocrat is gold. If you look at the web site I linked in my previous post you can see the difference.

Ahh, I see what you mean. It is identical in every way except color. Thanks for pointing the link!

Is it possible to tell a regular slim from an Aristocrat adjustable other than the color?

I do not know of a way, as I think the only difference for those two is the color (plating).

Sometimes photos can be misleading and you wind up with a presentable razor after a good bath and a shine. Sometimes gunk and reflections can be masking something nice....time will tell.

Best wishes...

I do not know of a way, as I think the only difference for those two is the color (plating).

Sometimes photos can be misleading and you wind up with a presentable razor after a good bath and a shine. Sometimes gunk and reflections can be masking something nice....time will tell.

Best wishes...

That is my hope here. To get it in a mostly clean and smooth working order. Then I can decide on a replate later. If not, I am only out $14

14 is a fair price for a slim. I've seen them go for 10 or for as much as 30 on the bay. Obviously collector grade pieces go for much more, but I don't think 14 is unreasonable for a user grade slim. The only difference between the gold and nickel one is, well, the plating. They shave the same. If you HAVE to have a gold one, I saw a beat up gold one sell for 12 the other day. But if you want one with no plate loss you best bet is just to have it replated

Here are a few pics of my gold Slim Adjustable (AKA Aristocrat) and a regular Slim that I bought for $30 (for both) at an antique store.

Both of these were immaculate and looked unused. I was thrilled to find them. I have a couple of other Slims that are very clean so I don't use these at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am so incredibly jealous. I hold out hope that I will find an Aristocrat in it's box someday. Positively fabulous find for only $30 for both, at that!

Top Bottom