What's new

Is there something wrong with me?

Kinda cheeky but seriously. I seem to be the only one in any of the forums or anything I see online that just doesn't care for bay rum. I know it's a "classic" scent but i just don't like it. Is there something wrong with me?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Yes, but I believe there is something wrong with all of us. I tried bay rum, liked it, but never went back to it. There are many scents I like better. There is no requirement to like anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's a matter of taste. I love Bay Rum. It's the first aftershave I bought when I made shaving my hobby. It was also the first soap scent I bought. I use it with all my other scents.

When I think how how I want myself to smell... in either professional environments as well as those environments around ladies (specifically my lovely wife) ...bay rum is the furthest thing on my mind of how I want to smell. I don’t see the appeal to it at all.

Did my 20's in the Virgin Islands during the 90's, so it's in my blood. Lots of local stuff there besides SJBR or VIBR, good stuff. I think it's just in my blood.

There was a by=ay bush in the courtyard where I worked, and a gardenia at the entrance to my local resort beach. I'm very partial to those two scents (what's silent, the "s' or the "c"?). But to each there own, right?

I think we all want to like it because of Al Pacino on Scent of a Woman.

I'm kind of meh on it. I think the Pinaud VIBR smells fantastic, but it burns like fire.

I tried it (Captain's Choice), and was not that impressed.
However I did end up using it up, and did find that I changed my mind and ended up liking it.

Will restock with some of the TOBS version in January.

You are not alone! I tried a few BR options over the years before deciding that I prefer other options more!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
No Bay Rum here.

Original Stetson has been my primary AS and Cologne for the last 33 years. Bay Rum soap kind of clashes.

Last edited:
We like what we like. Nothing wrong there. I hate the classic Pinaud scent for instance, shouldnt stop other gentlemen from enjoying this classic!

Went for Imperial Rum by Phoenix and Beau couple of months ago.
Solid performer, but the scent didn't agree with me. Really tried, gave it ten days.
Nope.
PIFed it.

Eons ago, my first girlfriends' Dad used some particular brand of Bay Rum. It smelled great. Years later, I remembered the Bay Rum scent & went looking for some, but none of the brands I sampled were anywhere close to what I was looking for.

...I know it's a "classic" scent but i just don't like it. Is there something wrong with me?
Nope.
I think it's the clove in some of them that I dislike.
I had some "Bay Rum & Lime" soap that was okay for scent, but the "lime" component gave me a bit of irritation mid-shave.

Top Bottom