What's new

Is there really a difference....

between regular shampoo and beard wash?

I'm thinking it's a marketing move that's only goal is to overcharge for a product with similar ingredients as found in shampoo.

Beard oil and conditioner I get...and use daily. What's next? Arm Pit Scrub.

between regular shampoo and beard wash?

I'm thinking it's a marketing move that's only goal is to overcharge for a product with similar ingredients as found in shampoo.

Beard oil and conditioner I get...and use daily. What's next? Arm Pit Scrub.
You might be right, but usually Beard Shampoos are nutrient/mineral enriched for a healthy wash, and usually are quite softening and moisturizing (or so they say)! It could just be a marketing trick too. I wouldn’t spend too much on a beard shampoo if you are using the beard oil and conditioner tho.

Theres a difference. Beard washes are much gentler and are better at hydrating the skin, whereas regular shampoos are more designed to break down grease.
They are different because the skin on your face is different from the skin on your head.

Theres a difference. Beard washes are much gentler and are better at hydrating the skin, whereas regular shampoos are more designed to break down grease.
They are different because the skin on your face is different from the skin on your head.
thats it.

The guy that i get my beard oil and balms made a beard wash for me, and it makes my beard really soft after using it. I can definitely tell there is a difference the beard wash and regular shampoo.

I think that if you use beard oil and balm regularly, you should be fine. I got the beard wash because i have a woodshop in my garage, and i get sawdust on my beard building projects. So i wanna get all that stuff out of it.

thats it.

The guy that i get my beard oil and balms made a beard wash for me, and it makes my beard really soft after using it. I can definitely tell there is a difference the beard wash and regular shampoo.

I think that if you use beard oil and balm regularly, you should be fine. I got the beard wash because i have a woodshop in my garage, and i get sawdust on my beard building projects. So i wanna get all that stuff out of it.
Same. I work in a manufacturing environment where I sweat a lot every day and I like something that gets the dirt, grease, oil and grime out of my beard.
You could probably just use a shampoo if you want, as long as you used some kind of beard conditioner afterward to restore the moisture to it. Beard oil or beard balm isnt going to do that though because beard oil is for your skin and beard balm just locks in the moisture that your beard already has.

This is what I found out after using regular shampoo on my beard for years. The skin under the hairs was constantly irritated and flaky. Using a conditioner didn't help.

Then, while at the drug store, I noticed Proraso's beard wash. It was a bit pricey: $15 on sale ($20 regular) per 200ml bottle. I gave it a shot since it says that it's both a beard and skin cleanser. Anyway, after using it twice a week (as instructed on the label) for a couple of weeks, the skin irritation and flakiness disappeared.

The "wood and spice" scent took some getting used to, but I grew to like it. More importantly, other people seem to like it (as mentioned in this post from 2018).

This is what I found out after using regular shampoo on my beard for years. The skin under the hairs was constantly irritated and flaky. Using a conditioner didn't help.

Then, while at the drug store, I noticed Proraso's beard wash. It was a bit pricey: $15 on sale ($20 regular) per 200ml bottle. I gave it a shot since it says that it's both a beard and skin cleanser. Anyway, after using it twice a week (as instructed on the label) for a couple of weeks, the skin irritation and flakiness disappeared.

The "wood and spice" scent took some getting used to, but I grew to like it. More importantly, other people seem to like it (as mentioned in this post from 2018).
Did not know proraso made beardwash!

Gonna have to get me some.

My wife bought me that Proraso beard wash for Xmas last year. Its not bad stuff. If you want something more affordable, Grave Before Shave has a nice beard wash that is a bit cheaper. You can get it for $12 on Amazon. Cremo also makes a nice beard wash that ranges from $9-$12.

Did not know proraso made beardwash!

Gonna have to get me some.
Yup, it was a surprise to me, too. There wasn't much info about it in the forum.

Took a chance anyway and it worked great for me. Hope it works for you.

My wife bought me that Proraso beard wash for Xmas last year. Its not bad stuff. If you want something more affordable, Grave Before Shave has a nice beard wash that is a bit cheaper. You can get it for $12 on Amazon. Cremo also makes a nice beard wash that ranges from $9-$12.
Thanks for the suggestions. I found a couple of places that sell Grave Before Shave in Canada. Cremo products are easy to find on Amazon Canada, as well.

I'm also thinking of trying the LEA beard shampoo because I like their shaving cream. I might give the Cella conditioning beard shampoo a try, too. Curious to see if it has that same cinnamon-y scent as the soap.

Hmm... Seems like I may be suffering from BWAD (Beard Wash Acquisition Disorder). :001_unsur

Yup, it was a surprise to me, too. There wasn't much info about it in the forum.

Took a chance anyway and it worked great for me. Hope it works for you.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a couple of places that sell Grave Before Shave in Canada. Cremo products are easy to find on Amazon Canada, as well.

I'm also thinking of trying the LEA beard shampoo because I like their shaving cream. I might give the Cella conditioning beard shampoo a try, too. Curious to see if it has that same cinnamon-y scent as the soap.

Hmm... Seems like I may be suffering from BWAD (Beard Wash Acquisition Disorder). :001_unsur
I've been there. I grew my beard out for the past year before I got tired of caring for it and went back to a close crop beard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well gents, I did purchase a bottle of beard wash and after using it this morning, I now see the light. Just a dollup yielded a great, creamy lather. The feel of it while massaging it into my beard was way different than regular shampoo. When rinsed, my beard is much softer than usual. Good stuff!

BTW, I didn't shell out $40.00 either. Got a 8oz bottle for $8.00. As I probably use less than an ounce per wash and only use the wash a few times a week (vendor's recommendation) it will last quite a while.

Top Bottom