What's new

Is there (or was there) anything sharper than a Feather?

I'm not aware of any modern blades sharper than it out of the wrapper, but BIC Chrome Platinum, Perma-sharp Super and possibly Nacet, 7 O'Clock Black and London Bridge are reportedly as sharp or sharper than it after a couple of shaves (not much data in terms of sharpness).

I know Feathers are super sharp out of the wrapper but they are not that sharp for long. Two to three shaves later they are degraded. Nacets and Personna Platinums are damn sharp out if the wrapper (almost as sharp as the Feathers) but STAY sharp through many shaves. Nacets are super thin too.

Now... SuperMax Blue Diamond? I honestly believe these are SHARPER than Feathers out of the wrapper and they also tend to dull more quickly but they do stay smooth actually.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some times when you get a super sharp blade it has to give up to other desirables in blade charteristic's that are important to myself.
Feather makes different blades that are not all that good for longevity or smoothness. The Feather FHS-10 blade is great for a few shaves and then drops off quickly. The Feather Pro 50mm AC blades are great and made of good steel but they are not as good as a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade for longevity, sharpness or smoothness IMO. Feather are sharpest on the 1st shave & maybe the 2nd shave from my limited experiences.
The ideal blade for anyone is Sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity 4-7 great shaves is a perfect blade IMO.
If you notice more nicks and weepers & little harsh on 1st shave and have good hand technique it usually indicates a very sharp blade and then the blade smooths out after a few shaves it is indicating a very finite edge the MFG's have made for its customers IMO.
Kind of a ball park picture chart that I put together from my experiences, might help some if wondering what to look for.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
Have some great shaves.

I really have to give the Nacet blade another try tomorrow. I'd put the Feather right where I want it near the top with my Kai blades. All the discussion leads me to believe that the Nacet is sharper than I give it credit for.

Were any of the vintage blades like London Bridge sharper?
As far as vintage blades go I don't know if they are sharper per say but most vintage stainless and platinum/chrome blades in good condition that I use are much more smooth and less draggy than their modern versions and last longer. Some say they cant notice a difference and others swear modern blades are superior.

I'm not aware of any modern blades sharper than it out of the wrapper, but BIC Chrome Platinum, Perma-sharp Super and possibly Nacet, 7 O'Clock Black and London Bridge are reportedly as sharp or sharper than it after a couple of shaves (not much data in terms of sharpness).
The fact the Feathers dull quickly and on shave 3 or 4 other blades are sharper doesn't make them less sharp.

The fact the Feathers dull quickly and on shave 3 or 4 other blades are sharper doesn't make them less sharp.

I'm not comparing them to a Feather on shave 3 or 4. My experience with BIC Chrome Platinums is that on shave 3 it is as sharp or sharper than a fresh Feather. Others say the same with the other blades I've mentioned and the refined shave data seems to back this up.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Have to agree with @Abz88 BIC Chrome Platinum are as sharp as feathers, but much smoother and longer lasting. Kai are possibly sharper than Feathers but not quite as long lasting as BIC.
I think the "Feathers are the sharpest blade" claim is overrated and for me a blade as expensive as a Feather that dulls after only 3 shaves is not in the same league as the BIC or Kai which keep going for 14+ shaves

Some times when you get a super sharp blade it has to give up to other desirables in blade charteristic's that are important to myself.
Feather makes different blades that are not all that good for longevity or smoothness. The Feather FHS-10 blade is great for a few shaves and then drops off quickly. The Feather Pro 50mm AC blades are great and made of good steel but they are not as good as a Gem Personna SS PTFE blade for longevity, sharpness or smoothness IMO. Feather are sharpest on the 1st shave & maybe the 2nd shave from my limited experiences.
The ideal blade for anyone is Sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity 4-7 great shaves is a perfect blade IMO.
If you notice more nicks and weepers & little harsh on 1st shave and have good hand technique it usually indicates a very sharp blade and then the blade smooths out after a few shaves it is indicating a very finite edge the MFG's have made for its customers IMO.
Kind of a ball park picture chart that I put together from my experiences, might help some if wondering what to look for.
View attachment 1270700
Have some great shaves.
Great chart- thanks! IMHO blade thickness may help makes the Gem and injector blades, as well the Feather AC last longer. There is just more to the blade. For example, Feather DE blades are .1 mm thick, while injectors are about .25 mm, Gem .23 mm, Feather Pro AC .254 mm, Feather Pro Super .31 mm. So, the single edge blades actually have more steel sitting behind the edge. But then again I've read in some OneBlade threads that the Feather FHS-10 doesn't last well, yet is .23 mm thick.

It would interesting to see what the specs for true vintage DE blades were. Very early Gillette DE blades, WWI vintage, felt more substantial, from the few I've actually handled, although I can't seem to find their actual thickness this morning. I first DE shaved in 1968; by that time DE blades were already very thin. I remember when the Wilkinson Sword stainless hit the market in the 1960's they were a big hit because they were as sharp and the edge lasted longer. Even my Dad sprang for the extra cost- LOL. Previous DE blades were carbon steel, which if not handled very carefully degraded in a couple of days.

Top Bottom