What's new

Is there much difference between the Game Changer .84 OC and Jaws plate?

I've been waiting for the .84 OC to become available but noticed that they have the Jaws one in stock.

Should I just go ahead and buy the Jaws?

I own both JAWS and. 84SB and can truthfully say that the JAWS head is much more aggressive than the .84 SB. I wished I had an OC .84, but they never had it in stock, but my guess is that the JAWS is somewhat more aggressive than the .84OC, and probably due to the wider spacing of the teeth on the JAWS, but not sure

I own both JAWS and. 84SB and can truthfully say that the JAWS head is much more aggressive than the .84 SB. I wished I had an OC .84, but they never had it in stock, but my guess is that the JAWS is somewhat more aggressive than the .84OC, and probably due to the wider spacing of the teeth on the JAWS, but not sure
The .84 Jaws actually frightens me.😱 I only use it with a few days growth. It is VERY aggressive. The .68 is still pretty aggressive. More aggressive than most SB razors/plates I own.

I have heard that the OC .84 is between the aggressiveness of the Jaws .68 and .84 but I have never tried a Game Changer OC plate personally.

O.P... The .84 Jaws makes the Karve D-OC and Rockwell 6S seem mild IMO if that helps. I could get by with the .68 Jaws for every shave. Aggressive but not overly.

FYI, on IB's Instagram, there's a list of all current razors from least to most aggressive.

The GC .84 OC is listed as "medium-aggressive", but the GC .84 JAWS is full "aggressive".

Razorock Italian Barber Aggressiveness II.jpg

While we talking Game Changers, which model is most equivalent to a Rockwell 6S on plate #4?
I believe that would be the .84P SB. I have a 6S and found it too mild for me until I got to plate 5, but other razors came along that blew the 6S away and just haven't used it.

The .68 SB is more aggressive than the 6S R4. I would say it is equivalent to somewhere near R5 or R6.

Hmmm, and it's listed as the the lowest of the "Mild-Medium" razors. The IB razors definitely skew aggressive.

I was thinking about picking up a GC, but the as the R6S #4 is the most I can handle my daily shave, I think I'll hold off for now.

Hmmm, and it's listed as the the lowest of the "Mild-Medium" razors. The IB razors definitely skew aggressive.

I was thinking about picking up a GC, but the as the R6S #4 is the most I can handle my daily shave, I think I'll hold off for now.
I honestly would hold off on the GC if the Rockwell R4 is as aggressive as you want to go. The .68 SB is definitely more aggressive than the Rockwell R4 IMO. The Rockwell 6S is smoother in general as well.

A Karve with a B or C plate would be a great option IMO if you like the R4. 👍

My main daily shavers are the GC .68 OC, Karve C/D and 6S R6. I don’t use the other 6S plates unless I had a bad shave the day before with lots of irritation. Then I will use the R4. Haven’t used R3 in ages and have never used my R1/2 plate.

I've been waiting for the .84 OC to become available but noticed that they have the Jaws one in stock.

Should I just go ahead and buy the Jaws?

I have all the GC plates. .68 SB, OC and JAWS, .84 SB, OC and JAWS. The JAWS are definitely very aggressive. There is a significant amount of blade feel, and a big difference between the 84 OC and 84 JAWS. In my mind, the next step up from the 84 JAWS would be switching to a straight razor.

I would suggest waiting for the 84 OC and try that first. then decide if you want to try the JAWS. Or try the 68 JAWS if it becomes available before trying the 84 JAWS. Unless you like to gamble. Or if you're like me, you like to to have a complete set.

I had them both. The Jaws felt slightly more aggressive too me, but the difference wasn’t huge, IMO.

I have posted a comparison in the brotherhood of Razorock Gamechanger - borg

In my memory the oc was about in the middle between the Gamechanger sb and Jaws

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have all three Game Changer .84 plates.

SB: Doesn't get quite as close as I want
OC: Perfect, it's a (relatively) mild OC that still gives good protection
JAWS: Very similar to the OC, but higher risk of injury in trouble spots. E.g. mouth corner, angles of cheek, chin... I run over skin between the wider spaced teeth.

So guess what, my favorite is the OC plate.

To elaborate on my earlier statement, I had all three .84 variations at one point. I loved the SB and snagged the OC and JAWS as soon as they came out. Both the OC and the JAWs seemed slightly more efficient to me than the SB did. Comparing the OC to the JAWS, I felt that the JAWS seemed slightly more aggressive than the OC, but at an equal level of efficiency. I sold the JAWS and kept both the SB and OC.

Since I got my first Wolfman, however, I pretty much only use the GCs as travel razors—although I still like them quite a bit.

I have all three of the 84 plates. I very much enjoy the SB for its mindless shaving to a very smooth face. The JAWS is more aggressive but not uncomfortable in the least for me IF I keep in mind what it is and that it can bite me (and I use it for shark week exclusively each year). The OC didn’t do much more for me than the SB but I had to pay more attention. This made it an afterthought or meh for me.
If this was my only razor, I would have the SB and be very happy. If I could only keep one of the game changers in my collection it would be the JAWS. The OC for me would be the first one to be let go.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
To elaborate on my earlier statement, I had all three .84 variations at one point. I loved the SB and snagged the OC and JAWS as soon as they came out. Both the OC and the JAWs seemed slightly more efficient to me than the SB did. Comparing the OC to the JAWS, I felt that the JAWS seemed slightly more aggressive than the OC, but at an equal level of efficiency. I sold the JAWS and kept both the SB and OC.

Since I got my first Wolfman, however, I pretty much only use the GCs as travel razors—although I still like them quite a bit.
What setup is your Wolfman?

I have two in stainless: a WR2 SB 1.25 and a WR1 OC .86. The WR2 is my favorite, although I like the WR1 quite a bit too. These are pretty much the only razors I use on a regular basis these days.

I have both the 84OC GC and the Jaws and they pretty much seem equally aggressive to me, but the Jaws has so much more of a coolness factor!

Top Bottom