What's new

Is There Ever a Need to Replace Norelco Rotary Shaver Heads?

Prior to changing over to DE shaving 3+ years ago I used Norelco triple header electric shavers. Each razor would typically last 10 - 12 years and I never had to replace the shaving heads unless the head screens were damaged (typically once during the life of a shaver). The only time shave quality diminished was if the heads became clogged with just a good cleaning required to remedy the issue. Shaver life was typically driven by battery life - a replacement was warranted when tho old one would no longer hold a charge.

I've noticed that on my most recent couple Norelco's (I use one for travel still and my son the other one) the instructions recommend blade replacement every year. We've never followed this recommendation - it just makes no sense given that these razors have self sharpening blades. The only maintenance we do is to clean them periodically and lubricate the heads with a drop of mineral oil. Both shavers continue to work well.

For those that own Norelco shavers do you regularly replace the heads or is this manufacturer recommendation really just an attempt to generate a regular revenue stream from what is really an unnecessary replacement cycle for those that regularly clean their shavers?

When I used mine every day I would replace about yearly. It made a significant difference.
Thanks, do you periodically fully disassemble and clean the shaver head unit prior to replacement or just when replacing the heads?

In addition to brushing/rinsing the fully assembled unit clean every few weeks I found that a full disassembly that includes brushing out all hairs/debris from each rotary head blade a couple times a year maintains the shave quality.

You don't know what you don't know, so unless you change shaver heads you don't know if you'll get a better shave. Hint: you will - depending. Rotary shaver heads will generally give you consistent shaves for 2-3 years, again, depending. If you have a particularly coarse or tough beard, or shave daily, and depending on how long you shave, probably closer to the 2 year mark. After its optimal period, the cutter/comb combination will deliver a decreasingly close or comfortable shave.

There really is no set time to change the heads. Rotary - and foil - heads go through a life cycle: when brand new, they won't deliver their best shave because the rotating/reciprocating blades haven't completely "set," or conformed their edge to match the wear surface on the interior of the comb or foil - this can take several months. After the blades have adjusted themselves to the comb/foil, they actually provide a better shave, and throughout their usable life are "self sharpening" - the blade edge constantly wears to keep the edge keen, like using a sharpening steel. Eventually, the comb or foil will wear enough that the moving blade edge begins to round over and become less sharp. Depending on how you perceive your shave, it's time eventually to change out the head.

A special note, many foil shavers now come with a cartridge head - the foil/cutter combo is one piece and sealed, so their orientation stays the same throughout the life of the head. On all rotaries however, the blades and combs are separate, so it's critical that the same blade and comb are reassembled when manually cleaning the heads (which you should do with any rotary at least every month or two to check for defects, even with a cleaning station). Once the blades have adapted to a particular comb, as above, switching combs will start the "run in" process over and you may never get the best shave again with that head.

Thanks, do you periodically fully disassemble and clean the shaver head unit prior to replacement or just when replacing the heads?

In addition to brushing/rinsing the fully assembled unit clean every few weeks I found that a full disassembly that includes brushing out all hairs/debris from each rotary head blade a couple times a year maintains the shave quality.

Yes, I used to take out each head and clean it out, making sure to keep each set together, every couple months.

Haven't used a rotary with any regularity in years. Foil guy.

I do rinse the head every couple of shaves. Deeper cleaning after each recharge with a liquid hand soap, warm water, aftershave mix. Running the head in thus mix for 2 - 3 minutes deep cleans everything. A few drops of mineral oil after drying.

Figured out long ago the cleaning stations are expensive and not that effective. The Braun cleaning station seemed to shorten the cutting head life significantly.

You don't know what you don't know, so unless you change shaver heads you don't know if you'll get a better shave. Hint: you will - depending. Rotary shaver heads will generally give you consistent shaves for 2-3 years, again, depending. If you have a particularly coarse or tough beard, or shave daily, and depending on how long you shave, probably closer to the 2 year mark. After its optimal period, the cutter/comb combination will deliver a decreasingly close or comfortable shave.

There really is no set time to change the heads. Rotary - and foil - heads go through a life cycle: when brand new, they won't deliver their best shave because the rotating/reciprocating blades haven't completely "set," or conformed their edge to match the wear surface on the interior of the comb or foil - this can take several months. After the blades have adjusted themselves to the comb/foil, they actually provide a better shave, and throughout their usable life are "self sharpening" - the blade edge constantly wears to keep the edge keen, like using a sharpening steel. Eventually, the comb or foil will wear enough that the moving blade edge begins to round over and become less sharp. Depending on how you perceive your shave, it's time eventually to change out the head.

A special note, many foil shavers now come with a cartridge head - the foil/cutter combo is one piece and sealed, so their orientation stays the same throughout the life of the head. On all rotaries however, the blades and combs are separate, so it's critical that the same blade and comb are reassembled when manually cleaning the heads (which you should do with any rotary at least every month or two to check for defects, even with a cleaning station). Once the blades have adapted to a particular comb, as above, switching combs will start the "run in" process over and you may never get the best shave again with that head.
Thanks, guess this is a YMMV example. Typically did replace the heads once during the life of the shaver when damaged and did not notice an appreciable change in performance. Suspect as blades self sharpen against the screens/coombs the screens weaken and eventually start to break requiring replacement. Once one broke would replace the full set on the shaver. Always careful to keep blades (cutters) and screens (coombs) together when cleaning.

Even Norelco can't keep it's story straight on this one - instructions on some recent shavers state to replace every two years versus others that recommend annual replacement for the same shaving heads.

P.S. Just found an on-line Norelco HP1131 from 1979 manual that is similar to my first Norelco (given to me used a few years later) and while the instructions have lots of details on how to disassemble the shaving heads for cleaning on a monthly basis there is nothing regarding the need to eventually replace the heads. It seems that the recommendation to replace shaving heads annually was added sometime between 2005 and 2010. Found a Norelco 7240XL manual from 2005 that does not recommend head replacement while a 7810XL manual from 2010 does. Confirms my recollection that the recommendation of a head replacement cycle was a later addition from Norelco.

Last edited:
Top Bottom