What's new

is there anything as confusing as 7 o clock blades

just as the heading, was thinking of trying 7 o clock blades, looking at various reviews (even here on B&B) they must be the most confusing thing to purchase🥴, read quite a few reviews and still no further forward, blacks, yellows, greens etc, they are all liked and disliked in equal numbers, so its either try them all, or just avoid them completely 🙄🙄🙄

I personally like all of them and suggest that you get them all too. That way you can decide which ones you prefer and then post your results here. There are 2 types of green, one made in Russia and the other says perma-sharp which is made in India. The blacks are also made in India. The yellows might be the sharpest, but I prefer the blacks which has more smoothness. There used to be a blue ones which are no longer produced.

just as the heading, was thinking of trying 7 o clock blades, looking at various reviews (even here on B&B) they must be the most confusing thing to purchase🥴, read quite a few reviews and still no further forward, blacks, yellows, greens etc, they are all liked and disliked in equal numbers, so its either try them all, or just avoid them completely 🙄🙄🙄
Yes, well, string theory is almost as confusing.

Yes, there are more confusing blades. They go by the name Personna.

I love the Russian Greens (Super Stainless) much more than the Indian Greens (PermaSharp). The packaging is very close but Super Stainless vs. permaSharp is prominent on the packaging.

The Yellows are Russian and aren’t my thing. Black are Indian and I don’t think I have tried them. There is a Blue as well but I forget where they are made (or if they are still in production).

Not anywhere near as confusing as Personna. 🤪

the Russian Super Stainless are definitely worth trying IMO. Excellent blades that get a lot of love here.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like the 7Oclock blades that I have tried, The Gillette 7Oclock super platinum(black-India) are my favorites and Gillette Super stainless 7Oclock(Green-Russia) are a very good blade also Sharp & smooth IMO. I think the 7Oclock(Green) have a little more longevity were the 7Oclock (blacks) are smoother with good sharpness but longevity a little less, good blades regardless or top tier IMO.

I am Lucky to be able to buy the blacks and permasharp greens and the Gillette Wilkinson's (Chinese) from my local pharmacy ! I've also got the yellow and green blades from Russia.

The black followed by the yellows are the sharpest/smoothest followed by the Russian green / Indian permasharp greens.

Stainless blades generally feel rough to me, but the green Indians are amazing in the Rockwell 6S and my go to blade for that razor.

Since you asked, I'd avoid them entirely. I tried them all, remember that the Blacks were the best of the bunch, but even that one didn't become my own go-to blade.

I've only ever tried the Indian Platinum blacks from back home when I began DE shaving. I found them, somewhat incredibly, even sharper than a Feather, but just ripped my face bloody with a bevel razor. Maybe its time I tried them again.

I've rarely been disappointed with Russian blades, so just ordered a bunch of Greens and Yellows from Ukraine. Hope I can add to the confusion here when I test them out :gunsmilie:

I love the Russian Greens (Super Stainless) much more than the Indian Greens (PermaSharp). The packaging is very close but Super Stainless vs. permaSharp is prominent on the packaging.

The Yellows are Russian and aren’t my thing. Black are Indian and I don’t think I have tried them. There is a Blue as well but I forget where they are made (or if they are still in production).

Not anywhere near as confusing as Personna. 🤪

the Russian Super Stainless are definitely worth trying IMO. Excellent blades that get a lot of love here.
They’ve been my favorite lately. I never get a bad shave with them.

I love the Gillette Sharp Edge (Yellows); I have the Gillette Super Stainless (Green) but haven’t tried them yet. I haven’t got any of the Gillette Permasharp Stainless; but amongst my favourites are the Perma-Sharp by Gillette. So I have to agree with @bluesparkuk - they’re confusing!

Btw - my local wholesaler sells Yellows with slightly damaged tucks:

Best advise indeed might be to point you to a vendor who offers sample tucks. These 5 blade tucks sell for a song...

Besides, blindfolded I could not tell apart the russian yellow and the indian black. Both fit my(!) needs since they are mid plus sharp and smooth. Haven't tried the green ones yet.

Anyway it's the well known ymmv thing so stop investing to much research time and just buy a sample pack instead. My two cent.

Top Bottom