What's new

Is there anyone here who prefers cartridge to DE?

My guess is there are few and far between on this forum who get better shaves from a cartridge razor than a DE, but is there anyone here who still uses cartridge razors with a quality soap/cream and brush who prefer their performance over DEs?

I'm new to the safety razor - on the second week.

I use a Gillette Sensor to get the hard-to-reach areas:
- Under the nostrils
- Either side of the larynx, shaving inboard
- On the sides of the neck across the sterno muscles, shaving outboard.

These are still difficult areas for me to get a DE into without causing some damage.

I'm frankly happy with the DE / Sensor combo.

I still use a mach 3 cartridge. I tried the DE thing and it is just too big and uncomfortable of an adjustment for me. I get great shaves with my mach 3 and I love all the other goodness I've learned here in the past year and a half as far as shave products are concerned.

There are a few; if ou notice the site is called badger and blade so while the majority may not use cartridges, those who do are welcome.

marty

There are definitely a few who have decided not to make the switch. I ultimately did make the switch, but only after a long period of going back and forth. I am one of the lucky ones who can get a good, irritation free shave with a cartridge razor (I did it for 30+ years), I just prefer the sport and tradition of shaving with a DE.

The only thing that truly matters is that YOU enjoy YOUR shave!

I certainly wouldn't say I prefer a cartridge razor, but I certainly don't dislike them.

I can get very pleasing results using a Sensor, Atra, or Trac II with my badger brush, and cream/soap. The experience certainly isn't as luxurious as using a DE.

I have around 15 cartridges to work through for the Sensor, Atra, and Trac II, so I will gradually use them up.

Same here, although I use a Mach3 Turbo. I have learned a lot since I joined here in Feb of this year. Gotta love a brush and a nice cream.

I still use a mach 3 cartridge. I tried the DE thing and it is just too big and uncomfortable of an adjustment for me. I get great shaves with my mach 3 and I love all the other goodness I've learned here in the past year and a half as far as shave products are concerned.

I'm new to the safety razor - on the second week.

I use a Gillette Sensor to get the hard-to-reach areas:
- Under the nostrils
- Either side of the larynx, shaving inboard
- On the sides of the neck across the sterno muscles, shaving outboard.

These are still difficult areas for me to get a DE into without causing some damage.

I'm frankly happy with the DE / Sensor combo.

I still use a Sensor, too, but mostly for clean-up. At first, I couldn't do the neck areas with a DE, but I'm finally able to do it without irritation (took about 3-4 weeks). I, too, use it for the hairs just up under the nostrils, and I clean up the part of my chin/neck where the hair is densest, because I have not yet ventured into ATG passes with the DE.

I pretty much have used the DE since Jan. of this year. I'm 46 and have used either cartridges or disposables my whole life. In the late 70's, DE's were already phasing out. I learned on my old man's cheap-*** Good News razors.

When the Sensor came out, I bought one and that's all I used. I still think it's one of the best razors ever and I can't remember getting any bad shaves with it. I did not care for the Mach 3.

If I had to I could go back to the Sensor and be happy. But I really enjoy a DE shave. Lotsa choices these days..

Marty E.

I prefer the Fusions for my head. No razor has the speed or longevity for that than they do, and the trimmer is great for behind the ears.
I may have to look at grabbing another Sensor Excel. Target has the razors themselves.
For my face it's all DE, even if I'm running late. In that case a single Fatbot or Slim pass on 9 will be good enough.

If I had to give up either the badger or the blade, I would give up the badger.

Whilst the soaps and cremes are luxurious and fun, the end of ingrowns, rash and general irritation would see me keep the DE and go back to the Clinique Aloe Gel.

There are definitely a few who have decided not to make the switch. I ultimately did make the switch, but only after a long period of going back and forth. I am one of the lucky ones who can get a good, irritation free shave with a cartridge razor (I did it for 30+ years), I just prefer the sport and tradition of shaving with a DE.

The only thing that truly matters is that YOU enjoy YOUR shave!
Ditto, a cartridge works for me fine, as does an electric. I do get ingrown hairs after a while with either of them though. Not a lot, just one or two every so often.

But I also enjoy the sport and tradition, I love using 80+ y/o old razors, a badger brush etc.

You can get a good shave with a cartridge and proper wetshaving techniques and there's heaps of others doing the same. The only problem with cartridges is most people don't treat them like a DE shave, if you do you'd probably get a similar shave to a DE.
Only problem is, if you changed the cartridge as frequent as you should, they cost too much.

It's only the people using a can of goo that we look down on :lol:

edit: But we are all only comparing DE to cartridge, and that's unfair. SE GEMs would win hands down.

Last edited:
My experience exactly, although I use M3Power blades (the green ones). I searched out forums like this one because of encroachment of canned goo and the slow getting fed up-ness with the scent of Palmolive cream. Now I have three or four products I can chose from, and I learned how to shave properly to boot. That's about as far as I want to go right now.

I mostly use a DE but sometimes the Mach 3 is just more convenient, for example on holiday when I am sharing a bathroom, and anyway would rather be enjoying a breakfast coffee and pastry in a little cafe watching the world go by than being in a bathroom:001_smile

But I did get a nice Rooney handle, the original M3 handle no longer seemed, well........classy enough:lol:

I certainly wouldn't say I prefer a cartridge razor, but I certainly don't dislike them.

I can get very pleasing results using a Sensor, Atra, or Trac II with my badger brush, and cream/soap. The experience certainly isn't as luxurious as using a DE.

I have around 15 cartridges to work through for the Sensor, Atra, and Trac II, so I will gradually use them up.

Same here...i will include the Shick Pivot, the FX Performer and FX Diamond...All are nice razors and perform well.Sometimes i see ol' prices cartridges, why not let's pick one, just in case... The last nice razor to be done by Gillette was the Sensor and after that everything is :9898::001_302:

Same here...i will include the Shick Pivot, the FX Performer and FX Diamond...All are nice razors and perform well.Sometimes i see ol' prices cartridges, why not let's pick one, just in case... The last nice razor to be done by Gillette was the Sensor and after that everything is :9898::001_302:

You must be giving the oversees names for the Schick razors...not familiar with which models they are. Prior to getting on the DE kick, I was thinking about finding a Schick Tracer handle, as Tracer blades can be had at Wal-Mart for bargain prices.

Have to agree, the last of the good Gillette's was the Sensor. I have tried everything after that, and I am not at all impressed: but the crappiness of Gillette's current offerings is what brought me to B and B, so it's not all that horrid. :tongue_sm

I prefer DE blades. However, I travel to Portland once a week by plane for an overnight trip. I use a disposible there so I can carry on my luggage. I still use a brush and a shave stick.

Top Bottom