What's new

Is there any reason why I shouldn't leave the blade in the razor?

When my technique got better I found that the blades were getting binned way before they needed to be. I went from three shaves, to six shaves, to twelve, to thirty. I usually bin them at 12 now as I'm using 12 sided die to track the shaves. Could I take a blade to 100 shaves, probably so, but I don't need to. Twelve is plenty for me, from a Feather blade. Given the cost of a blade I don't need to pull every last shave from every blade.
OK, so you inspired me to walk a extra mile. I have been shaving with the same Nacet blade since Apr 6 . It already had a couple of shaves on it. I prepped and prepped and been paying attention with the angle of the blade. I did prolong the blade's life with 3-4 shaves. That is for sure. The last couple of shaves have not been good. Leaving me with some stubble here and there. For Christmas I gave my much younger brother (he sometimes borders on being a hipster) a very basic DE starter set with the old school feel he would like. Only shop-available soaps and lotions and a Lord L6 with an Omega brush. We have very different skin and growth. He is very blond with light growth. I am the opposite (not same biological father). My beard on the other hand would look like Popeye's enemy Brutus. Not a pretty beard (so i never kept it for long). Point is, my brother can use the same blade for a month and still be OK with it. There is no way I can get ten efficient shaves out of a blade. Especially after my beard went gray. It then became even more "unruly" and hard to cut. I believe you are right that you can do a lot of things to get more life out of your blades, but at the end of the day, we are also somewhat different by nature, and that matters quite a lot. Between us, me and my brother have about 9 shaves per blade, and that is not to shabby.

I take mine out and dry everything with a microfiber cloth. The blade goes on a magnet strip in the medicine cabinet and the razor in the rack. I feel like when you're dealing with 50 to a hundred year old razors you need to treat them respectfully.
It probably doesn't matter. When I was a kid we just threw them in a drawer without out even a good rinse.

Today I shaved with a Tech loaded with a Personna Med blade. 26th use of it. It’s still cutting fairly well, I managed a BBS shave again. Afterwards I palm stropped it dried it and flipped it over in the razor. Dried the razor too. I simply rub the parts of the 3 piece with a towel. No fancy cleaning nor disinfecting as I’m the only one using it. Main thing is to leave no water on it.
I’d like to get past 30 shaves with this blade. That will be a NEW record for me.

Top Bottom