What's new

Is there any reason to switch to a different DE razor?

I've been using my Merkur HD for the past few months and getting great results. The reason I went with that particular razor is because so many people on this site said it was probably the best "starter" razor for newbies. My questions are: now that I have the DE shaving down and am getting good results, do I need to move on to another razor? Are there other razors that will give a better shave to someone who has ezxperience with a DE? Or is there not really that much of a difference between razors? I know that those of you that have 10 different razors, have them becuase of your "collection". (It's like me and my 5 different poker chip sets). But is the Merkur HD considered by most to simply be a beginners razor that should be replaced by a better one once the basic skills are aquired?

Thanks for any input.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Chris...No reason to replace the Merkur HD at all. My personal belief is that it is built like a tank and is an Excellent razor for new or old. Trying other razors will only start the "slippery slope" (with that said....don't let me keep you from experimenting...maybe you will find one that outperforms the HD for your particular face and shave regimen). I say this as a person who has shaved with hundreds of DE's and I now only use my Merkur 38C. I owned all of the razors pictured at one time (plus a couple hundred others) and none of them shaved my face like the Merkur 38c does now. Of course i could have just gotten my technique down to the point of shaving happiness....

There is certainly no reason for changing the razor. You cannot cut the hair more than once and if you get along well with your Merkur, there is no reason to buy another one. If you stick with your Merkur, you will also be able to save lots of money. Because after the second razor there will come another and another and so on...

There is certainly no need.

The reasons people collect razors are:

1. Collectibility of the items.
2. Curiousity about how other razors shave.
3. Dissatisfaction with their current setup. Different products can't make up for unlearned technique.

The HD is not just a beginner's razor, it is recommended for beginners because of it's performance and mildness, not because it's somehow inferior.

That being said, you may wish to try a more aggressive razor, or just something else in general. The results will probably be the same, but the experience will be different.

I've got a basket full of razors, and use with a straight, the HD or the 38C. I'm never tempted to grab anything else.

Randy

Well Mike you tell the poor guy not to fall into the RAD trap and then hit him with a picture of DE who's who lineup. I dont think he will be reading what you wrote above that picture. :biggrin:

I started my DE shaves with the Futur then quickly moved to the HD. I have owned about at least 10 razors over the last couple years -all vintage Gillettes, Merkurs or straights. Although I usually rotate my razors each week, I have found myself using my HD for about the last 2 months without really realizing it. I personally find there is not a big difference between DE razors performance-wise - I get great shaves from all of them once I adapt to the eccentricities of each one. So, no, it is not necessary. If you are happy with the shaves you get with the HD, then be happy. It is an expensive and slippery slope to start collecting razors.

Dennis

I am new to the DE game. I am already addicted to ordering different razors from Ebay. I will have 8 or nine by the end of the week. I am going to call it a day there on Ebay and maybe ask the wife for a new Merkur for Xmas. I think that the weight and length handle seem to make a difference. Maybe not in the whisker cutting but in the comfort of doing it.

I plan on keeping three of four for my use. I am going to put a couple in shadow boxes for my boys' bathroom and give a couple away to friends for presents to get them on the road to shaving nirvana.

The differences between various razors are subtle...an unskilled newbie can shred his face with just about any of them; a skilled shaver can get a fine shave with just about any of them. That Merkur HD is all the razor you will ever need...however if you try a few different razors you may or may not find one that you like better. Every face is different. Only way to find out is to pick up a SS, a red-tip, a Fatboy or whatever, and shave and compare. But like the man said, it is a slippery slope.

It's completely up to you. I had the RAD for a good while, but the last six months or so I realized I preferred the fat boy and I put all the others away in a box under the sink. I reached my own personal conclusion that I just prefer keeping things simple. I honestly can't say I get any different kind of a shave when i'm using a merkur or a fat boy or an aristocrat. at the end of the day the razor just holds the blade. considering one has a decent tool to hold the blade, the blade itself, good prep, and technique are by far the most important parts of a good shave. You can get a better shave with a crappy razor and a good blade and decent prep than you can with a fancy razor and a bad blade with goo.

It's completely up to you. I had the RAD for a good while, but the last six months or so I realized I preferred the fat boy and I put all the others away in a box under the sink. I reached my own personal conclusion that I just prefer keeping things simple. I honestly can't say I get any different kind of a shave when i'm using a merkur or a fat boy or an aristocrat. at the end of the day the razor just holds the blade. considering one has a decent tool to hold the blade, the blade itself, good prep, and technique are by far the most important parts of a good shave. You can get a better shave with a crappy razor and a good blade and decent prep than you can with a fancy razor and a bad blade with goo.

+1 on the fatboy making everything else obsolete.

==Tom

There are no real, practical reasons to change razors if you are using one that works great for you. But there's the curiosity factor, and its also just fun to try new stuff. I own lots of nice razors: a mint condition 40s Aristocrat (I just might be its first user, although there's no way I can be sure), A Merkur HD, Merkus Progress, Merkur Futur, Murker 38c, Gillette Milord, Gillette Slim Adjustable, and Gillette Fatboy as well as a couple of others. I totally enjoyed trying out each one. I can get excellent shaves with them all, but the best in my opinion are the HD and the 38c. The others are excellent, great to look at, and collectable, but I just seem to get an effortless shave with the HD and the 38c. I really don't think you'll find a BETTER razor than the HD. But its fun trying anyway.

I agree with everyone who says not to fix things that ain't broken. If you are getting great shaves, why switch?

RAD is a different issue, and deserves a separate thread.:tongue_sm

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm happy with the one razor. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a natural progression through certain razors that people took as they became more experienced. Looks like I'm a Merkur HD man and proud of it.

For me, purchasing diffferent soaps and creams is much more appealing. I have 7 or 8 soaps and 4 creams and some more on the way.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
There's nothing wrong with your HD. It's one mighty fine razor. I tried them all (mostly) because I figured there's only one way to know for sure.

You see, the HD is a very fine razor. I can shave with all my razors quite well (but I prefer the Gillettes). To give you an example how much money you can save while sticking to your HD, here is my story of RAD:
Wanted to try wetshaving after having used an electric razor all the time, bougth a Wilkinson classic. Wanted to have a metal razor, bougth a Weishi. Didn`t like the Weishi, bougth a silver ball-handled Tech a few weeks later. Wanted to try something different, got a Merkur HD. And then it started:
got a 1940`s SS,
got a Red-Tip,
got a mint 1950`s SS,
got an Aristocrat for cheap,
got a fat handled Tech (that I don`t like so much),
got a Fatboy for cheap (which confuses me),
got two Gillette travel techs for cheap,
got a NEW, wanted to try an open comb,
got a British Tech,
got a gold ball-pointed Tech just to have one,
got a TV superspeed,
got a black 1970`s SS (because it was cheap and if I use it I can tell myself that I can replace it easily if I loose it),
got an old-type handle NEW and a travel NEW,
and now somehow one aristocrat junior and two British rockets are on their way which I could get quite cheap on E-bay.
Somehow I realize now that I might have too many razors :scared:
But collecting is fun, anyway :001_wub:

By the way, I realize that I still don`t have a blue tip...

I agree with everyone that there's no reason to switch razors if you're getting good results with your HD.

People switch it up for a variety of reasons - to find a razor they like, for variety or just because they're looking for that elusive "better" shave.

I have a Merkur Classic, Merkur Progress, Merkur Slant, Gillette Tech, Gillette New (open comb), a couple of Gillette SS razors and a bunch of straights (including a Dovo Shavette and Feather AC).

I've tried others, but every now and again you try one that really does it for you - I just got my Gillette New open comb and its my first open comb razor and I really like it - while I get good shaves with all my razors, this one seems to really work for me. I wouldn't have know this without having tried so many razors.

Also, different razors serve different purposes - the Tech is a pretty mild razor and I use it if I need to shave in the evening (which would be my second shave of the day) or if I'm in a rush. My slant and open comb are great for when I want an especially close shave or have a couple of days of growth. For me, its about having variety and different razors for different moods. Could I get by with just my classic - of course, but it woldn't be as much fun!

Some people just like a change or circumstances might force a change. Over the years I've thrown away a couple dozen perfectly good safety razors. My kids went through a phase of giving me a new razor for Father's Day every year and sometimes my birthday six months later. Usually I threw the old one away and used the new one. I've left a couple behind in hotel bathrooms. I've left my shaving kit at home a few times and had to buy a new razor. I bought some back when they were a few dollars at the drug store just for the novelty value of having gold tone or an adjustable dial. I didn't keep any razor I didn't use and before eBay I just tossed out trash not having any place to sell it. You couldn't even give away used razors.

I have 9 in DE razors in total and seem to go back to the 38c alot. The others don't get used as much. If you are happy with the HD great.
RAD is a slippery ( but fun) slope.

Now, who's got the best deal on a HD?:redface:

Top Bottom