What's new

Is there any clone / knockoff off Gillette Slim Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor? ( Modern DE razor with old mechanism)

Modern adjustable DE razors sucks because of how the mechanism of changing aggressiveness works.
The old razors changing its aggressiveness by level of bend aplayed to the razor blade, so simply put by changing the angle of attack of the blade on the facial hairs rather then increasing the gap between safety bar of a razor or base plate and a razor blade it self. In modern DE razors the curvature of a blade is constant the gap is changing and that sucks.

So My actual question is. Do we have any modern Adjustable razors that handles aggressiveness using the old mechanism??

I just spent a few minutes fiddling around with a blade in a Slim. I am only using my eye, no calipers or measurements taken. I do not visually detect any variation in the bend or angle of the blade from settings 1-9, but I could very well be wrong. To my eye, the Slim is the same as most adjustable razors where the gap is changed by moving the safety bar while keeping the bend and angle of the blade the same.

The Tatara Masamune is unique in that the movable safety bar plates are designed in such a way as to actively adjust both blade gap and blade exposure at the same time.

So My actual question is. Do we have any modern Adjustable razors that handles aggressiveness using the old mechanism??
The Gillettes also change the gap not the angle, but you could look at the various Chinese TTO's such as the Vikings. They basically use the same mechanism.

The Phoenix DOC does what you are looking for, that is if I'm understanding what you are saying.
The disadvantage is that you are slowly loosening the blade itself and thus introduce "chatter"

Many new adjusables are based off the Gibbs design as an actual Gibbs is so expensive and unbalanced that there is lots of opportunity there. The Parker adjustable is based off the Merkur but improved on it so there is value there as well. The mechanical complexity of a Slim adjustable combined with the low price of Slims on the market does not leave much incentive for a manufacturer to setup machinery for the design. When someone can get a killer shave from a real adjustable Slim for $40 anytime, there isn't much incentive to gamble on that one. Hope that makes sense, JM

The Gillettes also change the gap not the angle, but you could look at the various Chinese TTO's such as the Vikings. They basically use the same mechanism.

The Phoenix DOC does what you are looking for, that is if I'm understanding what you are saying.
The disadvantage is that you are slowly loosening the blade itself and thus introduce "chatter"
Clouds mate thx. I was not aware of viking brand at all
A nice Slim Adj just went for $35 plus shipping on BST..
Im unfamiliar with "local" acronyms of this forum what the hell is BST.
Is there a tread with the list of local acronyms and sayings of this forum.
I do not want to be this annoying guy who ask stupid question every 5 minutes or so.
This place have very strange layout and im learning the arrangement of individual departments / parts of this forum and their relation to each other

BST is the buy sell trade forum.

I haven't seen any decent modern twist to open razor on the market let alone being adjustable, so I wouldn't recommend you trying to find one, since all of them are either made in China, India or in some other Asian country and not only the quality of those razors is low, but the shaving performance isn't very good either.

I understand that some folks want something modern and that's fine, but the twist to open razors are way too complex and finicky for any serious razor manufacturer to start making them and what we currently have on the market are some cheap knockoffs that will most likely disappoint you.

I just spent a few minutes fiddling around with a blade in a Slim. I am only using my eye, no calipers or measurements taken. I do not visually detect any variation in the bend or angle of the blade from settings 1-9, but I could very well be wrong. To my eye, the Slim is the same as most adjustable razors where the gap is changed by moving the safety bar while keeping the bend and angle of the blade the same.

The Tatara Masamune is unique in that the movable safety bar plates are designed in such a way as to actively adjust both blade gap and blade exposure at the same time.
My memory may be wrong I have seen one almost 35 yers ago 🧠 have memory gaps

BST is the buy sell trade forum.

Thank you so much :)

@Medivh I haven't seen any decent modern twist to open razor on the market let alone being adjustable, so I wouldn't recommend you trying to find one, since all of them are either made in China, India or in some other Asian country and not only the quality of those razors is low, but the shaving performance isn't very good either.

I understand that some folks want something modern and that's fine, but the twist to open razors are way too complex and finicky for any serious razor manufacturer to start making them and what we currently have on the market are some cheap knockoffs that will most likely disappoint you.

You may be right in terms of complexity of the build of adjustable tto even modern adjustable merkur sucks. Yet asian made things are not always bad just like American or german are not always great. That being said i fully understand what you want to say. I better look for some original vintage stuff in good condition.

Last edited:
I gave up on finding a new twist to open adjustable when my Vikings Blade Emperor tore my face up no matter what setting/blade/soap combo I used. I traded away an extremely well made two piece adjustable (Rex Ambassador) because it was too rough for me on any setting. Now, I’m focused on getting a quality three piece razor that offers the option of more or less aggressive baseplates to customize the shave. In the long run, having a “configurable” razor will be better for me (no moving parts to wear out or need servicing).

Being an American, I would prefer my razor to be American made and I would expect someone from another country to feel the same about their domestically produced goods (if I was German, I would be all about Merkurs, for example).

Not all modern adjustable razors suck. I have a Parker Variant and get excellent shaves with it. Granted, it is manufactured in India and there were some early production problems, but mine is fine.

The Rex Ambassador is a modern progeny of the Gillette adjustable razors, but they're pricey.

Granted, it is manufactured in India and there were some early production problems, but mine is fine.
Merkur progress and futur have some issues even today. So place of origin of particular de razor does not matter. Place of origin does not implicate quality or lack of one

Vikings are probably re brand made by Yantal for external company. Yes the price is higher then Yantal yet the quality control probably is much better.
Reason for that if you make 10000 razors for some company you do not want to have 9000 returns. But if you sell to ordinary customer on aliex...
then you do not care 80% will not send back a faulty peace. You are left with 20% . You can reject 18% of complaints for whatever reason you left with 2% to deal with.

@Clouds But again thank you for telling me about Vikings

Have you taken a look at a Rockwell T2? It's basically the same systeem as Gillette used on their slims, black beauties and fatboys.

The head is quite a bit more bulky though and the blade tabs are covered.
The shave is smooth and not very aggressive.

Few years ago at auctions big web site I bought a brand new boxed Soviet clone of Gillette adjustable. Maybe IDEAL was the brand.

Great shaves but don't expect sooo great manufacture quality.

Better look for used Gillette slim.

Don't know if still available.

Thanks all for the clarifications about how even vintage adjustables work. One Gillette Slim clone is the Razorock Adjust (also available under other names). Sharpologist did a nice comparison of adjustables that is worth reading.

Here is the soviet clone I said:

20220602_205354.jpg

20220602_205401.jpg

20220602_205414.jpg

20220602_205424.jpg

20220602_205512.jpg

20220602_205609.jpg

Top Bottom