What's new

Is there an existing scale of 1-10 for blade sharpness/comfort for us wetshavers to use as a reference when looking for new blades to try?

I've been wetshaving for three years and change, and I'm almost at the end of my 100 pack of Feather blades (the only blade I have ever used in my entire time wetshaving). As part of my Black Friday shopping, I bought a 5 blade pack of Wilkinson Sword made in Germany. Compared to my years of experiences with the Feathers leaving my skin tender and irritated even with the R2 plate on my 6S (not to mention setting 6 on the Futur), the Wilkinson Sword blade has provided the most comfortable shaves of my life. I used it in my 6S with the R6, R5, and R2 plates, and I used it in my Futur on the 3 plate. I can't believe how smooth it felt to use and how it still mowed down the hair.

The performance I've gotten out of this blade in three uses has me very curious on how other blades compare to the German Wilkinson Sword and the Feather. Is there a scale (1-10) for blades that reflects this level of sharpness and/or comfort? Are Feathers a 10 or a 9? Are the German Wilkinson Swords a 2/3 or a 5/6 or something else?

This is one of the attempts at something approaching an objective assessment. Approach with caution, as blades perform, in some cases radically, differently for different people.

It's pretty subjective. People are different. Some blades work better in some razors than others. You can search for many threads on here where people rank their favorite blades, that might give you some ideas. Best thing is to try them for yourself. Sites like razorbladeclub.com will allow you to create your own sampler from a large selection of different brands.

Last edited:
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3)-1.jpg

Nope, and there never will be one. Too subjective and too many variables.

What will work is trying out different blades. Choose say 6 blades that get a lot of love around here and you’re almost guaranteed to find one that works for you. Or if you’re feeling adventurous you can order a ton of different blades and work your way through them finding out what you like.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
There are factors, including sharpness and durability, but the way a given blade works for one of us does not mean it will work the same for someone else. Add to that that I might use a very sharp blade like a Feather in a razor with a large gap and reveal and you might use it in an AS-D2. So, do we assign the Feather a "wonderful" rating based on use in the AS-D2, an "I am bleeding badly and need for you to call 911" rating in an uber aggressive razor, or a middle of the road rating based on the use of some middle of the road razor to test everything? Even if we agreed how to go about this, YMMV.

Nope, and there never will be one. Too subjective and too many variables.

What will work is trying out different blades. Choose say 6 blades that get a lot of love around here and you’re almost guaranteed to find one that works for you. Or if you’re feeling adventurous you can order a ton of different blades and work your way through them finding out what you like.

+1! Too many variables IMO! There is no substitute for experience.

I have concluded, for someone with coarse tough whiskers, but sensitive delicate skin, out of trial and error trying and testing out many, many blades have concluded I need a coated razor blade (platinum etc...) which yields comfort, and smoothness.. Blades like Wilkinson Sword (German version) or GSB for me tick all the right boxes for optimum comfort, smoothness, sharpness yet are forgiving. As BigJ says 'There is no substitute for experience.'

Top Bottom