What's new

Is there an argument to be made for newer shaving cream brands versus the old stuff?

Not a fan of goo in a can, though I have to admit my mini proraso did a nice job compared to the Gillette drab I used before that.
Stuff in a tube (proraso, Palmolive, speick, arko, yes arko) was another step up the lader. But the croaps and hard soaps with a decent brush made the most impact.

So there is a market. But imho there is plenty in a tube out there already to make mainstream and above happy.

Has anyone tried the Barbasol 1919 cream in a tube?

Looks like a nice travel solution.

I have. If you’re used to lathering with real soap or cream, you probably won’t like it. I never reach for mine anymore. Clogs everything up.

The Gillette Pure on the next shelf is much better, probably about as good of a lathering cream you can buy in a general merchandise store. I ran through a tube and would replace it if I weren’t in sabbatical with five years of other lather fuel already in the house. Pure won’t stand up to artisan products, but there’s no shame in that.

Neither tube will fit in a carryon for TSA purposes. I haven’t needed such a thing, but if I did I’d take a sub-100ml tube of other lathering cream, an Arko stick, or a Cremo stick.

Sabbatical? I’ve heard this a few times on the forum. I take it to mean folks have self imposed no new purchases of shaving gear.

1919 reviews are mixed to be sure, but I haven’t found a product review/opinion on this site that isn’t!

The Gillette Pure on the next shelf is much better, probably about as good of a lathering cream you can buy in a general merchandise store. I ran through a tube and would replace it if I weren’t in sabbatical with five years of other lather fuel already in the house. Pure won’t stand up to artisan products, but there’s no shame in that.
I love Gillette Pure. Feels so creamy, leaves my face feeling good. I don't buy artisan soaps, so this is the tops for me. I don't have a collection of soaps, or razors for that matter. I want to keep it simple-1 razor, 1 cream, 1 aftershave. I have settled on a blade, but using up what I have extra. Don't have the room, and the wife doesn't want that stuff all over the bathroom, and I don't either. I love all things DE, but collecting is not for me. Gillette Pure is a pretty good cream...
20211227_115359.jpg

You are a sick man and need help. Unfortunately we are not allowed to give medical advice on B&B.
Yeah, I know I don't fit the profile for B&B, but I do love all things DE! I have a Parker 91R, paired with German Wilkies, its the bomb for me, especially when I Iather with the Gillette Pure Cream..

Top Bottom