What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Is there a way to set the "FILTER" button to display "last message" as default or a way to save the setting?

Everytime I switch to a forum or even go back it reverts to "first message". Very annoying. I looked within the user profile preferences and didn't see any way to make this as a default setting. Any admins/mods help in this regard? Thanks.

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Feel free to shoot me a screenshot of what is happening and I will look into it for you. It will also pay to note that a few of the Sub-Fora are set up to display by thread date/time independent of the most recent post.

Yeah I want every forum I go to to display the most recent post. That's how I do it on any forum I belong to. So you are saying there is no way to set it to most recent post as a universal setting on the user's end?

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Most Sub-Fora should default that way.

Which areas are you concerned about?

Most Sub-Fora should default that way.

Which areas are you concerned about?
When you say all sub - fora (are you meaning to say sub forum?) should default that way, you mean last message first? It doesn't. I can honestly say when I set the filter to display "last message first" whenever I leave that sub forum and go to a different subforum, it will revert back to first message.

As far as which areas I am concerned with, I would say ALL areas on this forum.

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Fora is simply the plural of Forum. When I say Sub-Fora, I mean Sub-Fora. Are you trying to say that every area of the site behaves that way for you?

If you would care to shoot me a screenshot of what you are seeing, I may be able to help.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Every area of the forum acts this way. It would be easier for you to tell me which areas of the forum do NOT act this way.

Ok now when I check the other forums, like General Shaving Talk, Straight Razors, and Everything Else they are set up to sort last message first which is fine, but Marketplace and the sub forums always revert back to newest thread.

I still want to be able to have the Marketplace forums all set to display newest message first, which was a hassle especially during the Black Friday period checking the Shopping and Deals sub forum and not getting the most up to date message without having to hit the filter button EVERY SINGLE TIME I revisited the site even if I stayed signed in.

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Ok now when I check the other forums, like General Shaving Talk, Straight Razors, and Everything Else they are set up to sort last message first which is fine, but Marketplace and the sub forums always revert back to newest thread.

I still want to be able to have the Marketplace forums all set to display newest message first, which was a hassle especially during the Black Friday period checking the Shopping and Deals sub forum and not getting the most up to date message without having to hit the filter button EVERY SINGLE TIME I revisited the site even if I stayed signed in.
Those areas of the site won't display in that fashion.

Any particular reason why? I am asking why there isn't a setting within preferences to be able to have the user customize this sorting order to his or her preference.

djh

Moderator Emeritus
Sorry, I asked you from the start which areas you were concerned about and you couldn't be bothered telling me. That is the way in which our Forum is set up. Strange as it may seem, for many of our members there are more important things than the commercial corner of Badger and Blade.

Jim

The reasons that the fora you mentioned are sorted that way are numerous and frankly too onerous to review. As a work around...When you change the sort order, it actually changes the URL to reflect that. So you can change the sort order to your preferences, then just bookmark that URL, and clicking it in the future will take you to that forum, with the sort order applied already.
Anything the team does here is done for the overarching benefit of our community.

After doing this for a decade plus we have learned a thing or two.
We apreciate the support and suggestions..all of which are considered.