What's new

Is there a USA Aristocrat as smooth as the 4th Gen. Brit Crat?

I just PIF'd my 4th Gen Brit Crat. I was looking to replace it. Is there any USA Aristocrat that can compare in terms of smoothness? They're so much cheaper!

Thanks.

Episode 7 Night GIF by The Simpsons

I'm going to take that as a big "NO"!lol​

R

romsitsa

I don't feel any obvious difference between British and US stamped base plate Gillettes.

I don't feel any obvious difference between British and US stamped base plate Gillettes.
Thanks for that. Can you tell me if there is any difference between the various US Aristocrats in terms of performance?
I'm interested in the mildest version (if there is such a thing). Thanks!

G

Guest2023

For me, Britisish Aristocrat 4th is a bit smoother than 1930's US Aristocrat.

Mildest to the most aggressive in the following order.

40's US Aristocrat - British 4th - 30's US Aristocrat - British 2nd - British 3rd - British 1st

but there's not much difference between British 1st, 2nd and 3rd in terms of aggressiveness.

They are all in the mid or mid-aggressive range.

Wow 🤩 thanks!

I’m going to have to keep my eye 👁 out for a 40’s US Aristocrat 🪒!!

Are there any date codes, serial numbers, or other markings that would help identify this particular razor?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Can you tell me if there is any difference between the various US Aristocrats in terms of performance?
I'm interested in the mildest version (if there is such a thing). Thanks!
The notched center bar (1948->) seems a little milder than the 1946-47 to me. Look for the knurling all the way up to the neck (although not 100%, it's a pretty easy identifier). Lots of 'em out there so not as expensive as that Brit one you PIF'd.

Oops...I just pulled the trigger on what's billed as a 1946-7, but it looks a lot like what you're describing:

proxy.php

It also has a notched center bar...

proxy.php

Plus, it only cost $51.22 shipped!

How did I do? :)

Besides the missing endcap I think the razor looks to be in "okay"-condition and especially for the price. A copy in a better condition and maybe the belonging case would easily cost +100USD including shipping.

I don't know where you have bought it, but if needed don't hesitate to give it a cleaning with a toothbrush and dish detergent 👍🏼

Hopefully nothing on the razor is bent and it will provide a smooth shave for you. Since you got it pretty cheap you can always send it in for a replating to get it ultra smooth and shiny if you want to keep it for many years 🙂

I’ve shaved with most of the US Aristocrats and all 4 generations of the British version. On my face, the 3rd Gen British model is the smoothest and most efficient. Further, the build quality rivals several of my modern CNC razors…
181A276C-4A5C-4E6B-9801-EBE3F3BC5E71.jpeg

I have to agree...the Brits have it! I just tried the American Crat. It's good, but the 4th Gen Brit Crat I had is amazing...it shaves as good as it looks!

Top Bottom