What's new

Is there a trick to minimizing/reducing the fragrance in a soap / Pre de Provence

I bought a tin of Pre de Provence and I don't care for the smell. I find it overpowering, I've left the tin sitting open for about 2 weeks and the fragrance does not seem diminished. Is there a trick to reduce the potency of the scent? A little discouraged at this point, as it is a 150 gram tin and it will last months!:bored: It's been sitting open in a drawer unused. It has good moisturizing qualities, so I was hoping to bring it back on board this winter if only the smell could be extinguished!

Either your nose is a lot more sensitive than mine (entirely possible), or you have a sensitivity to one of the ingredients in the soap, assuming that we are talking about the Pre de Provence Shea Butter shaving soap. I just opened the tin and took a big sniff to confirm what I remembered, which is that this is one of the most mildly scented of the two dozen or so soaps that I own.

Like all Pre de Provence soaps it is quad milled and will indeed last a very long time.

Sorry I can't help you.

--Bob

Last edited:
I bought a tin of Pre de Provence and I don't care for the smell. I find it overpowering, I've left the tin sitting open for about 2 weeks and the fragrance does not seem diminished. Is there a trick to reduce the potency of the scent? A little discouraged at this point, as it is a 150 gram tin and it will last months!:bored: It's been sitting open in a drawer unused. It has good moisturizing qualities, so I was hoping to bring it back on board this winter if only the smell could be extinguished!

Is it the regular PdP soap you have or the 63 scent?

Just used my Pre de Provence (regular) this morning, and had a really fine shave. Good stuff! It is strongly scented but fades immediately on rinsing. I rather like it during hot weather like we have been having here in Nebraska.

I have a tin that I've had for over a year now without opening it because I've got about 20 other soaps and creams going. I'm wanting to wait till I mke a dent in my already-open stuff, but reading this make me want to open it and give it a try ... which is why I have more than 20 products already open at one time.

I haven't finished off anything in over a year, but I've only got a few shaves left in a tube of Musgo Real I've been working on for over two years and I'm only got a rim around the bottom on a tub of RR King Louis. So I'lll finish off two within the next month or so.

Either your nose is a lot more sensitive than mine (entirely possible), or you have a sensitivity to one of the ingredients in the soap, assuming that we are talking about the Pre de Provence Shea Butter shaving soap. I just opened the tin and took a big sniff to confirm what I remembered, which is that this is one of the most mildly scented of the two dozen or so soaps that I own.

Like all Pre de Provence soaps it is quad milled and will indeed last a very long time.

Sorry I can't help you.

--Bob

+1, I like it a lot since the scent doesn't stay with me for too long at all.

-Stephen

I have a tin that I've had for over a year now without opening it because I've got about 20 other soaps and creams going. I'm wanting to wait till I mke a dent in my already-open stuff, but reading this make me want to open it and give it a try ... which is why I have more than 20 products already open at one time.

I haven't finished off anything in over a year, but I've only got a few shaves left in a tube of Musgo Real I've been working on for over two years and I'm only got a rim around the bottom on a tub of RR King Louis. So I'lll finish off two within the next month or so.

Hi Jim,

Yes the soaps last a very long time making them a great value. The only drawback is it takes time to try new stuff or / and we can get backlogged with the diff soaps to try. We as wet shavers are lucky to have such an abundance of soaps to try!

+1, I like it a lot since the scent doesn't stay with me for too long at all.

-Stephen

True the scent does fade away, but I find it a bit overpowering during the shave.

I tend to use fairly light scented products so that may be a factor in my dislike. These days I'm trying to finish an Almond Tobs tub and get back to my favorite: Osma soap:)

The only thing I can think of is to leave the lid off for a few months and come back to it. Eventually, the fragrance will dissipate, but it may take a while.....

My puck is lightly scented, to my (uneducated) nose.

For light scents (and outrageously good performance) I don't think you can do better than Haslinger.

With a quad milled soap, I would imagine it would take quite a while for the fragrance to leach out. I do wonder why you think it is so strong though. It's just a nice light scent to me.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I do wonder why you think it is so strong though. It's just a nice light scent to me.

Right, I feel that the folks at Pre de Provence have already done a great job of minimizing the scent .... it's pretty darn subtle.

You could try grating it into another container increasing contact with air but this may change how the soap performs.

-Dale

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Sometimes the microwave helps, but I don't know for how long or what it might do to the performance. You might try a small dollop in a dish.

I've been using mine for the past few months non-stop and it still smells, to me, as new. It has not really dissipated.

I wasn't much of a fan of it at first but it's become a non-issue now that I've been using it so long. It's not my favorite scent but it's not offensive.

Been a few weeks and I've had it in directive sun for a few days. The smell is much milder now and I've used it the last few days. It does not seem as moisturizing (post shave) as before, so it may have lost some of it's moisturizing qualities. Not sure since it has been a while since I used it last. At the time I was impressed with the soap, apart from the strong fragrance. looking forward to using it regularly now!

This thread makes me so sad. PDP smells amazing to me. It reminds me of a scent from my childhood and my grandfather's shave brush still smells of PDP, he passed 9 years ago and it hasn't been used since. . .

The day I can't smell PDP anymore will be a sad day indeed. When I travel it is the only thing I bring.

As far as reducing the smell goes, good luck with that. The best suggestion was probably to grate the puck so more surface area is open to the air. I have read multiple people do that with Arko to help reduce the scent.

I bought a tin of Pre de Provence and I don't care for the smell. I find it overpowering...
I share this sentiment. If the scent were pleasing to me, it wouldn't seem so strong. To me PdP smells way too soapy. I've had a puck for a couple years, and initially I used it frequently, but I've moved on to more pleasing soaps. My PdP doesn't get much action anymore. In fact, the last few times I used it was only to hand lather to break in a boar.

Top Bottom