What's new

Is there a "Stropping Compendium"? Read "Honing Compendium and loved it!

Looking for something like a stropping guide, in hopes of learning daily blade maintenance. Is there one available?

Can someone post a link if they know if one exists or where it is?

Thanks,
Viper

There's a stickied thread at the top of this subforum with a bunch of links.

From a very basic perspective, properly stropping daily on clean leather will keep a good edge going for several shaves. Like, anywhere from 30 to 100 or more. Things like shaving with too high an angle will degrade an edge quicker. Or banging the razor on the sink. If you have a strop with a cloth secondary component it's nice to do 10-15 licks on that after a shave to clean the soap/blood/skin off the bevel. Not all cloth is created equal. Actual flax linen is slightly abrasive and I believe when used together with leather will keep an edge going longer. Others may disagree.

Pastes are a much broader subject and I won't go into it here, but they can keep an edge going *much* longer, if used judiciously and as long as the razor isn't damaged.

There's a stickied thread at the top of this subforum with a bunch of links.

From a very basic perspective, properly stropping daily on clean leather will keep a good edge going for several shaves. Like, anywhere from 30 to 100 or more. Things like shaving with too high an angle will degrade an edge quicker. Or banging the razor on the sink. If you have a strop with a cloth secondary component it's nice to do 10-15 licks on that after a shave to clean the soap/blood/skin off the bevel. Not all cloth is created equal. Actual flax linen is slightly abrasive and I believe when used together with leather will keep an edge going longer. Others may disagree.

Pastes are a much broader subject and I won't go into it here, but they can keep an edge going *much* longer, if used judiciously and as long as the razor isn't damaged.
Thank You.

You wouldn't have any site/product recommendations for such a dual strop as you have described?

Thanks again,
Viper

Legion

Staff member
Thank You.

You wouldn't have any site/product recommendations for such a dual strop as you have described?

Thanks again,
Viper
Worth mentioning, although the materials and workmanship should be of good quality, don’t spend a fortune on a “delux” strop if it is your first. Most people have a few accidents when they are new and learning muscle memory, and damage strop #1.

People like Tony Miller, mentioned above, usually have a basic beginner model.

Top Bottom