What's new

Is there a recommended shampoo for oil removal?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone recommends a shampoo that removes oil. My hair usually lasts half a day before it gets oily and it bothers me about that. I usually sweat more easily too.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
From what I've read, stripping the natural oil from you hair only causes it to become oilier, as it causes your sebaceous glands to work overtime to re-lubricate your hair and scalp.

Best advice I've come across personally is to use a milder shampoo, and wash my hair less until things settle down in some natural equilibrium.

Also. I find vigorous brushing helps. Before combing--and with my hair dry--I brush forward, starting from the nape of my neck for a minute or two. When I then comb it, much of the greasiness is gone (or at least dispersed).

But that's just my lay advice. If things are as bad as you say, it may be time to see a dermatologist.

Try to keep your hair short.

Use a mild shampoo, and warm or lukewarm water to wash your hair and towel dry. Don't use shampoo more often than every other day.

On days you don't use shampoo, just wash your hair with plain warm or lukewarm water and towel dry.

Brush your hair daily, similar to what @Whilliam wrote.

I had this problem - and, if I don't do a thorough job washing, I get dandruff and psoriasis. I strongly support @Whilliam and @Atlantic59 for a mild shampoo/wash. I used to have prescription shampoos and was advised to use anti-dandruff shampoos, but those only left my scalp drier, itchier, and worse for wear.

Additionally, I often shower twice a day due to workouts, so it is doubly important. I found some shampoos that are oil or fat-centric and are 'nopoo' to rid it of the greasy or oily feeling, but without stripping the scalp or hair of healthy oil. I also use a sea-salt scrub on my scalp once a week to remove excess oil/product and then the richest mask/moisturizer I can find. I also use oils to leave in my hair, which has done a better job regulating the oil-production of my scalp.

I had this problem - and, if I don't do a thorough job washing, I get dandruff and psoriasis. I strongly support @Whilliam and @Atlantic59 for a mild shampoo/wash. I used to have prescription shampoos and was advised to use anti-dandruff shampoos, but those only left my scalp drier, itchier, and worse for wear.

Additionally, I often shower twice a day due to workouts, so it is doubly important. I found some shampoos that are oil or fat-centric and are 'nopoo' to rid it of the greasy or oily feeling, but without stripping the scalp or hair of healthy oil. I also use a sea-salt scrub on my scalp once a week to remove excess oil/product and then the richest mask/moisturizer I can find. I also use oils to leave in my hair, which has done a better job regulating the oil-production of my scalp.
Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I will also check out the products about scrubs.

Hair is supposed to be a little oily. What you don't want is dandruff, which is associated with hair loss and poor scalp health in general.

Top Bottom