What's new

is there a Pocket edition rabbit hole?

I've collected razors and shaving stuff on and off for many years, but mostly for the past 3 years.
The first things that caught my eye were Gillette British Aristocrats. Still love them.
I have every year fatboy in its proper case. And the toggle version.
Lately I've enjoyed bell tube handle gillettes and their "ivory" cases

But I'm just become interested in Gillette Pocket editions. I bought a "U.S. Service set" that I assume is also a pocket edition.
It's case is the same size as a pocket edition.
I'll try to attach a picture.
I've been trying to find more information about the different case designs and the history befind the P.E.s
I've seen one style called the empire that I really like.

If anyone could point me towards more sources of information, I would appreciate it

pictures

Attachments

• Gillette PE - 1.jpeg
    Gillette PE - 1.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Gillette PE - 2.jpeg
    Gillette PE - 2.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 40

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Big Rabbit Hole..... I dont believe a service set is a pocket edition though. On a side note, the service set was a civilian set made to purchase for someone going into the military and is not militarily issued. It should also have a mirror.

Heres a link to the the ABC pockets. The Gillette ones came later.

Big Rabbit Hole..... I dont believe a service set is a pocket edition though. On a side note, the service set was a civilian set made to purchase for someone going into the military and is not militarily issued. It should also have a mirror.

Heres a link to the the ABC pockets. The Gillette ones came later.

Great link!! Wonderful sets!! :a29:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
The ABC is a pocket set, yes?
Yes. The American Button Company (ABC) was contracted by Gillette to build ornate pocket edition sets. Gillette later built their own sets after ABC was lost to fire.

Yes. The American Button Company (ABC) was contracted by Gillette to build ornate pocket edition sets. Gillette later built their own sets after ABC was lost to fire.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. But this is a rabbit hole I gingerly side-stepped😳😉😊

R

romsitsa

Iirc ABC sets doesn’t show up in ads after 1915-16 and the fire happened in 1918.

Adam

From what little I understand now I prefer the ABC pocket edition to what came later. I have 2 sets that I now think are Gillette, non-ABC and one ABC. The one ABC that I own has the flower box and a shell razor handle. Until yesterday I didn't know that they were a mismatch.

I also have a few sets that have the same size box. One I think is a tech and one is The New 501 special set.

I'm loving this new information. Thanks again keenDogg.

So I am now so much better informed about the ABC pocket editions and the various styles.
What about the gillettes after the american box company versions? What constitutes a pocket edition? I was told that the Service edition was not a pocket edition even thou the case is the same dimensions as the PE cases.
I have several others that share the same case. I have what I have called a tech set that bought 10 years ago for $26. It has the basket weave box. It has the 3 squares on the back and the diamond Gillette logo printer on the inside cap.

R

romsitsa

A pocket edition is a set that was called “pocket edition” by Gillette.
ABC: fancy handle, vesta style blade box, case with patent info on the bottom
Gillette: ball end handle, smooth blade box, bottom of case is smooth.

Adam

But the U.S. Service Set has a ball end razor and the bottom of the case is smooth. But I was told that its not a pocket edition. ????

Also, whats a vesta style blade box?

R

romsitsa

Service sets were sold as and called service sets by Gillette, so while they look pretty similar, they are not pocket editions. The phrase covering both was “compact set”.

Vesta is the earlier blade box design with a striped bottom. It was designed to store matches, once empty, and the bottom was the striker.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Missed one, the No 20 (ball end in a Khaki like, leather pouch) was also called a pocket edition in 1918, but was changed to “kit set” in 1919.

Adam

So it seems like the pocket editions that are from ABC sre much better defined than what came after
Thank you romsitsa for the link.

Top Bottom