What's new

Is there a name for this grind?

...and is there a purpose?
weirdrazor.jpg

Score? Ha, no, I wish. Just ran across it an was curious to know more; I imagine it will be more expensive than I'm willing to pay at the moment so for now I must admire it from afar.

I wonder if it's useful beyond looking cool? Allows a narrower spine on a wider blade while still maintaining a reasonable angle on the hone and adds stiffness?

i doubt the narrow spine/wide blade is a thing. i’m no expert, but geometry built in to a blade is a function of the spine and width. i think its cosmetic, maybe removes some weight of a wedge and may add some stiffness as a byproduct. maybe someone else has the real background.

I have seen those referred as blood grove.
I have one razor like this. Like faux-frameback, it might have been a primitive attempt at hollowing the blade before Ern figured out the modern hollow grind.

I have seen those referred as blood grove.
I have one razor like this. Like faux-frameback, it might have been a primitive attempt at hollowing the blade before Ern figured out the modern hollow grind.

It's a blood groove only in the sense of aesthetics. to be clear. My guess is that it is cosmetically appealing while also lowering weight as noted above.

Top Bottom