What's new

Is there a good non-comedogenic shaving cream?

I have acne and I have a feeling the Proraso shaving cream I'm using is irritating my skin and making me breakout. How would you guys rank the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shaving Gel? It is non-comedogenic by the way.

is the neutrogena gel non-aerosol and fragrance free? If it isn't , try just using a gentle, non-comedogenic cleanser as your shave "cream" (i.e., lather it on your face, leave it on, and shave with it). use a single or 2 blade razor and go with the grain only, using a light touch and not repeating strokes. shave around any cystic acne as best as you can, and rinse gently when you are done. dont use any kind of aftershaves or toners, just a light, oil-free moisturizer to soothe skin after shaving. the key to getting rid of acne is to not aggravate your inflammed skin any further, and slowly eliminate the blemishes you currently have.

i hope your skin clears up. once it stays clear, then you can probably start exploring other creams and soaps. but for now, the fragrances and other synthetics in lots of creams will inevitably lead to more irritation, so stick with an acne fighting system like neutrogena or just a plain old cleanser for a shave cream

But Musgo contains lanolin, and that's probably not good, either.

Personally, I feel you should try a hypoallergenic cream containing as little ingredients as possible---T&H's Ultimate Comfort, Taylor's hypoallergenic, Cella (soft soap, but easy to work with) and I believe Nancy Boy makes one too. You might even want to consider skipping soap-based creams for the moment and shave with brushless gels. Don't try fancy techniques for the time being: the less you irritate your skin the better. Then ask your GP or dermatologist---if you have one---for salicylic 'water', which is basically a solution of salicylic acid in water or alchohol, or a mixture of both. (I forgot the precise solvents, it doesn't matter much.) You cannot help the skin from becoming irritated while shaving, and the soap fats will clog pores no matter what. However, you can do something about inflammation afterwards, and that's where the salicylic acid comes in. I have no experience with it personally, but I have read acounts from people who have, and they almost invariably mention that it solved their skin problem.

Good luck!

Last edited:
the only non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic soap i've seen is Pear's soap. I havent used it as a shave cream but it does give a good lather. It leaves the skin feeling squeaky clean too.

I also have acne (at 52!) and find that Speick works well. Add the aftershave and it definitely helps acne. For me anyway. YMMV. Void where prohibited by law. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate.

T

TheBadger

Found this thread in the internet, i know it's old but i had to post.

Search for Avene products. They are all non comedogenic and for sensitive skin.

Tried all proraso, speick, art of shaving - all bad for my skin.

I'm using the Avene shaving gel (no brush), just apply it on the skin and massage with your fingers for 1-2 minutes.
Instead of after shave, i'm using the avene thermal water and after 5 minutes avene cicalfate cream: anti irritating, regenerating, anti bacterial cream.

Merkur HD + feathers + avene skin care products = smoooooth skin.

Hope this helps someone, i know what difficult is to find the right products.

But Musgo contains lanolin, and that's probably not good, either.

Personally, I feel you should try a hypoallergenic cream containing as little ingredients as possible---T&H's Ultimate Comfort, Taylor's hypoallergenic, Cella (soft soap, but easy to work with) and I believe Nancy Boy makes one too. You might even want to consider skipping soap-based creams for the moment and shave with brushless gels. Don't try fancy techniques for the time being: the less you irritate your skin the better. Then ask your GP or dermatologist---if you have one---for salicylic 'water', which is basically a solution of salicylic acid in water or alchohol, or a mixture of both. (I forgot the precise solvents, it doesn't matter much.) You cannot help the skin from becoming irritated while shaving, and the soap fats will clog pores no matter what. However, you can do something about inflammation afterwards, and that's where the salicylic acid comes in. I have no experience with it personally, but I have read acounts from people who have, and they almost invariably mention that it solved their skin problem.

Good luck!

You can pretty much use any shaving cream you wish as long as you find a good facial scrub (ya know one with a little grit) and salicylic acid. I have the same issue...always have. But, as long as I use my scrub I could shave with Crisco and be blemish free.

I've been dealing with acne for over 15 years and I use traditional shaving soaps and creams. Most of the time, they do not make me break out, but there are some that do. Avoid products that contain large amounts of coconut oil and menthol and you should be fine.

I've found that the English style creams (Taylor's et al) are the most gentle on my face and result in the least chance of break out. Proraso, and some of the other old-style Euro drugstore/barbershop creams are very fatty and contain a lot more coconut oil than the English style creams. I can use them but not every day, and I find you really need to be extra careful to rinse them off your face. You can also take a cotton pad with witch hazel and gently go over your beard area after you shave just to be sure there is no cream/soap residue left on your face.

Aveeno is good for what it is, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are shaving with a DE. I used it back when I used disposable cartridge razors and I think it's the best of the canned gels out there but it can't compare to a high quality latherable shaving cream or soap.

Also, you may want to check to make sure you aren't dealing with other forms of irritation besides the Proraso. If your razor technique is sloppy or if you are lathering up with a scratchy brush, you can cause irritation that will in turn exacerbate acne. Same thing with facial scrubs, which is why I'm not a fan of those at all.

+1 on avoiding lanolin. I'd also check for anything containing cocoa butter, that stuff is highly comedogenic. Its not widely used in shave products but I've seen it show up in some creams and aftershave balms.

Musgo Real and the lanolin are bad for acne. This is very unfortunate for me because Musgo is an extremely good shave cream with a wonderful scent.

I would suggest using a high quality cream and then apply a moisturizer after your aftershave splash and/or balm.

I do also have very clog prone skin and regular exfoliation and washing is key for me. With a good routine, the shaving cream I use (as long as I am not allergic to it) does not really matter.

I would suggest actually trying a fine ground sugar and lemon scrub to begin with every 2nd-3rd day before shaving. Just grind the sugar to your grain taste (I like very fine grains, but some like their exfoliations a bit rougher) and mix in some lemon juice until you get a crumbly paste akin to damp sand. Wet your face, take a small bit of the sugar mix and start rubbing. It is a bit messier than cream based exfoliation, but generally cheaper and works. This gets rid of old skin all over your face, and helps prime for a deeper exfoliation/declogging. My favourite scrub, as I keep repeating, is Garden of Wisdom's Takrai Lemongrass Cleanser. I like it because even if it is finely ground it is effective, and unlike a homemade sugar scrub it does not melt on your face.

Once or twice a week I would do a salicylic acid mask. Just crush up some aspirin (four tablets) in a little, little bit of water. Let it sit for half an hour or so, then apply the whole thing to your face and let sit for 20 minutes or so. Salicylic acid gets down into your pores, dissolving gunk in them.

If you are open to it, I would suggest oil cleansing every now and again too, once or twice a week on the night after the salicylic acid mask. Personally, I must follow an oil cleanser with a good regular cleanser to get rid of the oil, but the oil cleanser does work wonders to break up clogs.

And finally, there is nothing like an old fashioned clay mask to draw gunk to the surface after you have gone through the exfoliation routine and opened up your pores with hot towels. Green Clay is my favourite, but there are many to choose from depending on your skin. Do some reading, try some premixed ones that can usually be had cheap in drugstores to find which clays work best for you.

And well...that should get you started, without spending a lot of cash on products that you might react to since all of these are as basic as they can become, essentially. The order: manual exfoliation, salicylic acid mask, oil cleansing and clay mask, repeat one of them each day. To begin with, you might break out for a week or two, if you skin is heavily clogged since gunk will be drawn to the surface. Don't be alarmed by this. If your skin does not start to improve after a week or two, then it is time to look into what might be breaking you out.

Hope this helps some. :)

I have VERY sensitive skin - had good luck with Trueffit $ Hill ultimate comfort cream as well as Taylor of old Bond Street sensitive Skin shave cream. I presume that you are using a brush - you really have to to use these creams. Really kind to the skin. Also use Lab Series after shave balm.

Top Bottom