What's new

Is there a difference?

Can a difference be felt shaving between a razor that was honed on a 8000 vrs a 12000 grit hone. Say a Norton vrs a Shapton. Can the finer hone make any discernable difference? Would any difference be attributed to the micro serrations vrs hair diameter? I have the Norton 8000 and a Diamond King Barber hone. Do I really need to spend money on a 12000 hone? :confused:

Most of the guys on SRP seem to go from the 8k right to a strop or pasted strop. I don't think it will make much of a difference, but I'm not very experienced at honing yet.

Rick,

Rather than spend the money on the 12K, I'd vote for a pasted paddle strop from Tony Miller. Tony is a member here. Send him a pm and get his feedback.

Randy

From my experience my answer to your question is no. After my Norton 4000/8000 I thought I would go for the ultimate and bought 10,000, 12,000 and 15,000 hones. The 12K and 15K were very expensive Japanese ceramic hones. After a lot of experimenting I realized that they provided little to no improvement to sticking with the Norton. I should have listened to Lynn Abrams in the first place.

I'm surprised by this thread

All things being equal, there is absolutely a difference between an 8k finish and a 12k finish

I like to read old stuff. I found this accidentally while searching the net for info on an old hone.
Thought it was interesting.

Bump. Looking at my first stone and a 12k (what I decided on) is hard to find right now. I could have a 10k this week though. I appreciate all the data I can crunch... even though I'm sure I'll end up with more stones than I can carry at this point in my acquisition disorder. Hey, it's not all about the collection, it's about what works for me. I assume I can resell the rest somewhere down the road.

I think all changes in the hone used produce a difference in the shave. Not always a positive change, but a change none the less.

I can only speak for myself but I don't like shaving of a 8000 stone. I really need to go to the 12000 for optimal result (or a coticule).

Top Bottom