What's new

Is there a difference between the gillette adjustable heads?

I have a black beauty and a fatboy. The heads seem to behave quite differently.
I'm wondering how the slim is compared to those two. Is it in between, having a narrower head that fatboy but shaving more efficiently that the black beauty?

I recently stopped using the black beauty, knicked myself with it a few times, and went back to the fatboy. I like gentle razors, so I'm interested in a slim at 1 setting.

I think Slim is more or less like Black Beauty. Correct me if I'm wrong.
proxy.php

Looks like they are all slightly different. Hmmmm. Gonna put the slim is on the list. Thanks for the helpful picture.

I think the slim and black are the same, the Fatboy is..well....fatter.

Well...taller, yes, IMO. :001_cool:

As far as I am aware, Gillette basically used the same head on the Slim as they did on the later "Black Beauty" ( known officially as the Super Adjustable ), which came in both short and long-handled varieties. The heads were of a lower profile than the "Fat Boys", and contained less brass overall due to ( I believe ) a design change which resulted in slightly shorter arms for the butterfly doors. The Slim was introduced in 1961 and the original Adjustable "Fat Boy" discontinued the same year.

As the years went on, Gillette started reducing the amount of brass still further, and had the end caps made thinner and crimped on over the hinges. Around 1968 they discontinued the Slim, and replaced it with the plastic-sleeved Super, and then in 1977 the "riser" plate at the bottom was replaced with black plastic.

Cost of materials and all that. :001_rolle

Last edited:
Details. I like the details. Thanks @navair2 for the details and @Naes12 for the OP.
From what I’ve read, the adjustables essentially had 2 versions, Gen 1 was 1956-69. The afore mentioned “Fatboy” (D1-G4) and “Slim” (G3-N4), then the premium Toggle, Executve Adjustable(gold fatboy), and Aristocrat Adjustable(gold slim). The Gen 2 was from 1966-88. These included the Black Beauty, the Super 109, and the Super 89. There could easily be slight variations in the shave experience with each of these due to changes in balance(weight & length) and guard/cap/blade interaction.
You now have permission to go buy or borrow one of each and share your findings.

I am interested for the shaving quality. My super is a 1969 gold version. Its hard to get a sense as to how these models shave for my purpose, as I pretty much exclusively use them on setting 1, which almost no one does. I think I'll probably end up grabbing the Slim to see how it compares.

... Gillette basically used the same head on the Slim as they did on the later "Black Beauty" ( known officially as the Super Adjustable ), which came in both short and long-handled varieties. The heads were of a lower profile than the "Fat Boys", and contained less brass overall due to ( I believe ) a design change which resulted in slightly shorter arms for the butterfly doors. The Slim was introduced in 1961 and the original Adjustable "Fat Boy" discontinued the same year.

As the years went on, Gillette started reducing the amount of brass still further, and had the end caps made thinner and crimped on over the hinges. Around 1968 they discontinued the Slim, and replaced it with the plastic-sleeved Super, and then in 1977 the "riser" plate at the bottom was replaced with black plastic.

Cost of materials and all that. :001_rolle

+1! OUTSTANDING SUMMARY!

I am interested for the shaving quality. My super is a 1969 gold version. Its hard to get a sense as to how these models shave for my purpose, as I pretty much exclusively use them on setting 1, which almost no one does. I think I'll probably end up grabbing the Slim to see how it compares.
I think you are right, get a Slim and see how it works for you. Worse case, you end up selling it off. I have done that with several razors, some within 4 weeks of receiving them! In the end, it is your shaving experience that matters. Good luck and enjoy the exploration!

I think you are right, get a Slim and see how it works for you. Worse case, you end up selling it off. I have done that with several razors, some within 4 weeks of receiving them! In the end, it is your shaving experience that matters. Good luck and enjoy the exploration!

As a new guy, this is also what I am doing. While I have been focusing on the TTO's first, my first extended experience was with a 1959 Fat Boy. 1, 3, 4, 5, & 6 have been the settings that I have tried. It'll be year or so before I try a 6 again...and it will not be on my neck.
@Naes12, the blade that you use definitely matters. And for the adjustable, I do wonder if it is possible to get out of spec. There is a guy referred to as Capt., that does adjustments. Perhaps he can be tagged in the tread and possibly share some insight.
And @mr-razor, thanks for the link.

Did you happen to check out the chart/table on this page? It basically states the Fatboy and Executive as the least aggressive shaver with a blade gap space of .011 when set at 1. The Bottom Dial(1-5) is one I have not seen in the wild and don't know of how available they are, but it starts at .008

Fat Boy head looks more like a 50's SS head. The Slim and BB are more like a 60's SS. Maybe I have some ocular defects but they do remind me of them. Any one you acquire you will enjoy.

You might try it again sooner than a couple of years. Once you get comfortable with the angle, which is steeper than some other razors (handle a bit closer to the skin), and light pressure, you can ramp it right up. The FB is a fabulous shaver, very comfortable and easy to use. I'm not a super aggressive fan, but typically use mine on around 7.- The slim is more aggressive on the same setting, and my BB/SA can really tear you up on the higher settings of your technique is sloppy.

That said, at a glance I'd have sworn up and down the slim and SA/BB used the same head, as they look pretty much the same to my eyes. But the gap on the BB/SA starts lower and is wider at 9, with a greater span or range than the others. My last real nick or cut was with my BB/SA!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The Bottom Dial(1-5) is one I have not seen in the wild and don't know of how available they are, but it starts at .008

It would be extremely, extremely, extremely rare to find one in the wild. There may be a few lying around somewhere but most of the bottom dials are held by collectors. They do come up for sale at times but they will cost you a pretty penny.

Around 1968 they discontinued the Slim, and replaced it with the plastic-sleeved Super
In it's original form, the Super Adjustable contained no plastic. The handle was made from anodized aluminium, rather than brass. Later versions had the adjusting plate (not sure if this is the correct term) made from plastic.

All I can say is for me the best setting for the Fat Boy is a 5. The best setting for the Slim and the Super Adjustable is 6, which suggests the Fat Boy is a slightly more aggressive razor, and the heads of the Slim and the Super Adjustable are the same, or very similar.

In it's original form, the Super Adjustable contained no plastic. The handle was made from anodized aluminium, rather than brass. Later versions had the adjusting plate (not sure if this is the correct term) made from plastic.

A misunderstanding on my part, to be sure, and thank you for the correction.

Being as light as it was, I assumed the entire handle on the Super Adjustable was plastic, similar to a hard plastic "sheath", if you will. Now that I think about it, black anodized aluminum makes more sense, IMO, and fits completely with Gillette's historic scheme of replacing brass with aluminum for certain parts of their razors.

For example, some of the Korean War Super Speeds used aluminum handles ( not sure what the TTO knob was made of ), while they used steel handles on others. The Blue Tip Super Speeds from the mid to late 1950's made use of aluminum in what I believe to be both the handles and knobs, and the later Black Handle Super Speeds seemed to consist of this as well.

Unfortunately, I just assumed that the black on the handle was plastic, especially in the Super Speeds, since Gillette did make use of black plastic in some of their contract Techs during World War 2... in the future, I shall endeavor to sharpen up on the facts before posting.

Cheers. :001_cool:

Last edited:
I have to compare more closely my 57 SS head vs my 68 Slim. The SS head may be taller but will check upon my return to my throne room. My Slim tends to be blade fussy

Top Bottom