What's new

Is there a correlation between the cost of H/W & S/W and the quality of the shave?

Motivated by @ThatDaveCh's spreadsheet I added the daily cost of hardware (brush, razor, blade) & software (pre-shave, soap/cream) used in my shaves to the spreadsheet I use to track everything and thought it would be interesting to see if there's a relationship of those costs to how I scored each shave.

Some background on the methodology.
  • Dataset is from the start of February to the end of November so should be statistically valid with 201 entries.
  • The calculation of software and blade costs is straight forward being:
Unit Price = Purchase Price ÷ Total Number of Uses From New
  • For brushes and razors it's similar but with an arbitrary value of 500 used for Total Number of Uses. This could be any value if it’s consistent for each item and the Unit Price for the hardware is comparable to that of software; a large delta between the two would artificially skew the results for one category or another.
  • The score is a subjective value based on my thoughts how each component (pre-shave, soap/cream, brush, razor & blade) performed for each shave plus an overall value that I would describe as my experiential rating of each shave. While I normally weight each of these based on my perceived importance of one category vs. another (i.e. in my opinion how a pre-shave performs is less important to how a blade performs so I weight the pre-shave by 0.5x and the blade by 1.25x) for the sake of this exercise everything has been weighted at 1.0x.
So, does a premium product provide a better shave….or specifically, do I get a better shave (as the saying goes YMMV)? Here’s the results:
Document1_Page_1.jpg

Document1_Page_2.jpg

Document1_Page_3.jpg

If you're looking for a definitive display of increased cost = increased quality the trendline should move markedly higher from left to right (i.e. positive).

Based on the total cost/shave there's a slight positive trendline but when looking at the respective hardware and software plots its clear that its the software that's providing that positive movement and the hardware is actually bringing it down slightly. Given the reasonably tight clustering and only a moderate number of outliers I'd consider the data to be credible.

This does support my anecdotal experience of the day to day shaves and how I notice a more significant difference with a more expensive soap/cream and a value brand vs. the difference between an inexpensive razor and a more expensive one.

Take it for what you will :001_rolle

Motivated by @ThatDaveCh's spreadsheet I added the daily cost of hardware (brush, razor, blade) & software (pre-shave, soap/cream) used in my shaves to the spreadsheet I use to track everything and thought it would be interesting to see if there's a relationship of those costs to how I scored each shave.

Some background on the methodology.
  • Dataset is from the start of February to the end of November so should be statistically valid with 201 entries.
  • The calculation of software and blade costs is straight forward being:
Unit Price = Purchase Price ÷ Total Number of Uses From New
  • For brushes and razors it's similar but with an arbitrary value of 500 used for Total Number of Uses. This could be any value if it’s consistent for each item and the Unit Price for the hardware is comparable to that of software; a large delta between the two would artificially skew the results for one category or another.
  • The score is a subjective value based on my thoughts how each component (pre-shave, soap/cream, brush, razor & blade) performed for each shave plus an overall value that I would describe as my experiential rating of each shave. While I normally weight each of these based on my perceived importance of one category vs. another (i.e. in my opinion how a pre-shave performs is less important to how a blade performs so I weight the pre-shave by 0.5x and the blade by 1.25x) for the sake of this exercise everything has been weighted at 1.0x.
So, does a premium product provide a better shave….or specifically, do I get a better shave (as the saying goes YMMV)? Here’s the results:
View attachment 933992
View attachment 933993
View attachment 933994

If you're looking for a definitive display of increased cost = increased quality the trendline should move markedly higher from left to right (i.e. positive).

Based on the total cost/shave there's a slight positive trendline but when looking at the respective hardware and software plots its clear that its the software that's providing that positive movement and the hardware is actually bringing it down slightly. Given the reasonably tight clustering and only a moderate number of outliers I'd consider the data to be credible.

This does support my anecdotal experience of the day to day shaves and how I notice a more significant difference with a more expensive soap/cream and a value brand vs. the difference between an inexpensive razor and a more expensive one.

Take it for what you will :001_rolle

CMM, I'm not sure your results are significant. You'd need to attach the R-squared value of the trend line to give context. It should be said tho, that without a doubt the quality of your soap is probably the single most important factor in the perceived quality of your shave. It dictates so much of the result, that reaching for some higher quality (and occasionally, more costly stuff) is probably worthwhile.

So, does a premium product provide a better shave…..????

Based on my personal experience and zero scientific data to back it up, sometimes it does, and sometimes it does not. :D :D :D

But eventually (again in my personal experience), regardless of a product, you are bound to hit that point of diminishing returns.

I love to see the charts some of y'all make, but sometimes they are beyond me. I think its is great you can narrow down that cost info, but I'm with @Bbb34 sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Data is good.

Was it Democritus who said, "I would rather understand one thing than be King of Persia?"

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes it is, and yes he did. He also said "Many much-learned men have no intelligence"

Which happens to describe a lot of my uni prof's

The (always bearded) ancient Greeks were awesome, and knew so much ... But didn't (clean-shaven) Alexander the Great kinda run them over?

Wonder if there are any Macedonian shave soaps?

AA

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yes it is, and yes he did. He also said "Many much-learned men have no intelligence"

Which happens to describe a lot of my uni prof's
*Harumph* Perhaps your coming exams this week and next will have regression analysis by hand (no calcs or excel) to 3 decimal points accuracy. *harumph*

LOL, glad someone got the reference

Good formula IMO, but we are not all = in our ways of tracking things.

Thank god we're not all the same, that would make for a very boring world. vive la difference!

Wonder if there are any Macedonian shave soaps?

AA
With all of the artisans out there I'm sure someone has to make a Vergina Sun soap

Looks a lot like mine :)

proxy.php
Nice grouping!

*Harumph* Perhaps your coming exams this week and next will have regression analysis by hand (no calcs or excel) to 3 decimal points accuracy. *harumph*
Thankfully exams, term papers, etc. are all in the past. I never enjoyed uni and was happy to be done with it

ROFL. Well given the price of the Ming-Shi and the Baili 191, I'd say that we have a baseline of $5 and no topline. Beyond that it's all a little random. Surely there are more duds at the lower price range... and a fair few duds repackaged and pushed out at the mid range.

I remember regression analysis - great fun. Haven't done it once since I studied it TBH.

Top Bottom