What's new

Is there a cologne that smells like Pinaud Clubman after-shave?

A couple months ago I picked up the Clubman AS at a local pharmacy. I have traditionally been an Old Spice AS & cologne guy, and the wife loves the Spice, so I just stayed with it.

Anyway, I completely LOVE clubman, I love that classic smell. Like any AS splash, though, the fragrance never lasts. I put it on in the morning and I can't smell it anymore when I get to work (probably to the relief of my co-workers!). But I have burned through more than half a bottle because I freshen up with the stuff later in the day, but apply it generously after shaving. My Old Spice seems to never run out!

I went to a store that had some open samplers of some AS & colognes, and had a couple Pinaud products. So I took a sniff hoping to find a cologne with that Clubman flavor, but didn't find one that was the close to same smell. (As an aside, I tip my hat to anyone that has Vegetal as a daily frag... it literally kicked sand in my face like I was a 98 pound weakling and walked off with my girl. I am NOT man enough for that stuff!)

Is anyone aware of a Pinaud (or other brand) cologne that smells like the Clubman AS?

Canoe is probably the closest thing you'll find, but I'm under the impression that Canoe is slightly more powdery. If you want to step up your game, give English Fern and Sartorial a sniff. Not exactly like Clubman, but certainly in the same genre and much higher quality scents.

Canoe is probably the closest thing you'll find, but I'm under the impression that Canoe is slightly more powdery. If you want to step up your game, give English Fern and Sartorial a sniff. Not exactly like Clubman, but certainly in the same genre and much higher quality scents.

+1 The vintage version, if you can find it.

Op,
Seriously? The fragrance wears off that quickly for you? When I use it, which isn't much lately, it lasts at least 4-6 hours. It could be that you're just not smelling it after an hour. This happens more with some folks than others. Here's what you do. Once you get to work, ask all your co-workers to smell you and describe the aroma. One, it'll tell you for sure if the fragrance is gone. Two, it'll make for a very interesting day.

oake

My wife thinks Clubman smells just like Brut.

She hates it.

Damn.

But, she does like the Veg!

When I first joined B&B, I had to rush out and pickup some Clubman. Upon first application, Brut immediately came to mind indeed.

Havent tried Canoe, but have oft seen it referenced as smelling like Clubman. It would be couple notches up in quality from Brut.

In that same vein, Azzaro Pour Homme probably has some similarity as a classic fougere. Penhaligons Sartorial a high end version.

I don't know that any of them smell exactly like Clubman, but they all have a similarity.

Maybe I'm not putting enough on or something. After I apply it in the morning, I leave about 15/20 minutes later, and my commute to work is an hour. So it's almost an hour and a half until I get to work after I put it on. I can barely smell it on my hands when I get there, though I do smell it when I wash my hands at work, as the water seems to re-activate the stuff that creeps in between the fingers when I'm first clapping it on.

I haven't tried too many fragrances (AS or Colognes) but it's my experience that the AS wears off much quicker, where a spritz of cologne seems to remain a good chunk of the day. Maybe I do just get de-sensitized to it... who knows. That would be a shame since I use it only because I like how it smells!

Maybe I'm not putting enough on or something. After I apply it in the morning, I leave about 15/20 minutes later, and my commute to work is an hour. So it's almost an hour and a half until I get to work after I put it on. I can barely smell it on my hands when I get there, though I do smell it when I wash my hands at work, as the water seems to re-activate the stuff that creeps in between the fingers when I'm first clapping it on.

I haven't tried too many fragrances (AS or Colognes) but it's my experience that the AS wears off much quicker, where a spritz of cologne seems to remain a good chunk of the day. Maybe I do just get de-sensitized to it... who knows. That would be a shame since I use it only because I like how it smells!

Hmmm, Clubman is pretty strong stuff. But an EdT like Canoe will likely last a lot longer for sure. If you do find it smells a lot like Clubman, you can still use Clubman as your AS, and apply some Canoe to chest; wrists.

I haven't tried too many fragrances (AS or Colognes) but it's my experience that the AS wears off much quicker, where a spritz of cologne seems to remain a good chunk of the day.

Some products blur the line between Aftershave, and Cologne.

Technically by definition, an Aftershave is supposed to have a lesser percentage of fragrance compounds than a cologne. An EDT has more than a cologne, and thus will typically last longer than a cologne.

So by definition, an aftershave is supposed to last a lot less longer than a cologne. Sometimes as little as 10-15 minutes. I always considered Clubman to be a scent that blurred this distinction though, as Clubman is quite strong, with a fairly decent amount of staying power.

I honestly think, based upon your description of being able to smell the Clubman when you wash your hands, that your body is simply tuning out the scent; it happens with almost all scents, about a half hour after application you will cease to smell the scent unless you were to wave your arm in front of your nose. It's the same thing that happens if you were to enter your car, and notice an off scent: after about 5 minutes you would likely not notice the scent anymore.

This phenomena is called Olfactory Fatigue.

Last edited:
Avon's Wild Country smells a lot like Clubman as well. :)

I also get multiple hours of smell out of Clubman, it is quit strong. :)

I'm on the road right now and used some vintage Wild Country that I keep in a mini traveling spray bottle/decanter as a cologne today. Works great.
I wouldn't say that Clubman smells a lot like Wild Country but for my nose, they're in the same kind of "masculine" scent family. Incidentally, those two are my favorite splashes.

Maybe I just get used to the smell. I will ask someone at work tomorrow... the guy I sit next to will give me the truth. He's never commented on fragrances I have worn, probably because, well, he is a dude. Although I think if he was a wet-shaver he might have said something... :)

I do have a feeling the Clubman gets aired off of me during my commute. I drive 15 minutes with the window down. Then I walk 5 minutes outside and wait on a train platform for another 5 minutes outside. Then 20 minute train ride, followed by 10/15 minute walk through the city to my work. If I were to drive directly to work, and was in a car with the windows up, I'd probably still have the smell on me. But with all the fresh air and wind, I think a majority if not all gets just blown off of me.

I'll know after tomorrow, I'll ask my neighbor at work and see what he says.

Either way, I'll have to look into some of the Cologne suggestions made. Thanks for the tips. I have never been too much of a fragrance person, so this is a new world to me. (aside from the Old Spice!)

+1 to Canoe.

Clubman wears off quicker but it isn't THAT quick. I like Clubman. Right price and it makes Witch Hazel tolerable. Add 10 ml to a liter and you have a nice splash that you can then add any EDT to without fear of a force fight.

Ok, I asked a couple different co-workers and everyone said they have never noticed any fragrances on me when I got to work.

I sit near a lady that complains to managers about everything (She had her desk moved because someone near her was cracking their knuckles!). She totally would have complained if I was coming in with any heavy fragrance.

These are guys I chat it up with all the time and would not hesitate to say yes if they did smell the Clubman on me still, so they weren't just 'being polite' or whatnot.

Sounds like Canoe is getting a lot of people agreeing that it is similar enough to Clubman. I'll have to check it out. It was kind of odd to me that Pinaud doesn't make a cologne that carries over the iconic scent of their famous after-shave, much like Old Spice does. Of course maybe they have and it wasn't a big seller... after all the company has been around for over 200 years! (since 1810 baby!)

Have you tried splashing some Clubman on your chest? I would typically splash it on at around 10 am and could still smell it at 3 pm. In my experience, fragrances seem to last longer under clothing.

+1 on Canoe. Check out your local discount stores, "Big Lots" type shops. I see it in those places all the time, often in gift sets.

Have you tried splashing some Clubman on your chest? I would typically splash it on at around 10 am and could still smell it at 3 pm. In my experience, fragrances seem to last longer under clothing.

+1 on Canoe. Check out your local discount stores, "Big Lots" type shops. I see it in those places all the time, often in gift sets.

Good tips, I'll definitely try the chest trick tomorrow. I think if I could smuggle a hint of that smell into the afternoon I'll be happy. I may have to invest in a larger size container of Clubman when I re-stock!

I was wondering where to look for canoe, it seems to be the most suggested of the similar brands. I actually have a Big Lots in my town, as well as some other places like Target, TJ Maxx, etc. I can run the circuit and see what I find. Good to have a starting point though, thanks for the head's up!

Top Bottom