What's new

Is there a cologne that smells like Pinaud Clubman after-shave?

Wow, holy mackerel! Thanks for all the additional comments, opinions, tests and contacts with the manufacturer!! It warms my heart to see all the love for the Clubman AS. I am actually glad to see this thread come back to life. When I originally posted, I took advice and checked around for some of the brands, especially Canoe as it seems to get the most votes. I didn't end up finding any, but resigned to just re-applying Clubman as the day wears on if needed. But I do prefer to have a good long lasting cologne... it's nice when three or four hours later I get a hug from the wife followed by a compliment about smelling nice.

I will definitely redouble my efforts to hit up the department stores since it's the post-holiday hubbub now, I may be able to find something good on clearance. If not I'll just have to go to Amazon or something to make an internet order (which I probably should have done in the beginning, but I just prefer b&m stores myself).

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in and whatnot, you guys are all awesome!!

As one earlier commenter stated, Penhaligon's Sartorial (Usually found at the 'Art of Shaving') is similar but with more complexity and sophistication in my opinion.

Wild Country cologne by Avon melds right into Clubman. Perfect match

2nd would be Penhaligon's Sartorial but the price difference is huge

Penhaligon's English Fern harmonizes well with Clubman AS, but they're not really that similar even though both are technically fougeres, English Fern being really heavy on the Geranium and more woodsy, while Clubman leans more towards the Citrus side. Of the Penhaligon's fragrances I've tried (mostly the older ones), I'd say the closest match would probably be Douro Eau de Portugal, with Anthology Eau de Cologne (now discontinued) running a close second.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Okay, Clubman guy here, always wanted a Clubman scented cologne. You have all sold me on trying Canoe.

I do like the Special Reserve, which is more of a cologne, though the scent is quite a lot different. I find that the SR needs to go on VERY sparingly... just a fingertip dot on either side of the adams apple and another one to the lower sternum is about it as it can be very overpowering for the first few hours. Just a fingertip worth has the desired effect, which is making ladies who venture within arms length of me, want to get just a little bit closer to investigate that faint but masculine scent. Too much and you risk driving them off, plus looking like an egotistical, domineering, tasteless bozo by forcing your scent on others in the room.

I know it's an old thread, but I've never seen it before.

My first reaction was 'I hope not!' I'm just not a Clubman fan.

Haven't seen anyone mention Drakkar Noir. I think it goes really well as a cologne layered with Clubman aftershave (as long as you stick to using the Clubman as an aftershave and aren't drowning yourself in it). Better than Brut. I like Brut, but I don't think it really smells a lot like Clubman. Brut reminds me of those little pink anise candies my grandma used to always have in her candy dish. I haven't tried Canoe...

Drakkar Noir is a waste of money these days when there's Al Rehab - Dakar roll-on oil. A few rolls on some hot spots will do for some beastly performance. Still not similar to Clubman.

Pennhaligon's Sartorial comes close to Clubman's dry-down; on the whole, it's more of a metallic lavender scent. Pinaud Clubman has other notes.

Some great suggestions here! Canoe definitely smells of Clubman! Another I didn't see mentioned (or I missed it) is Jockey Club by Casswell-Massey - definitely similar to Clubman IMHO! In fact those two I pair together quite often!

I usually pair Pinaud Clubman with either Pierre Cardin for Men or Paul Sebastian PS Fine Cologne. I don't think Canoe smells anything like Clubman.

if your clubman scent seems to be dying down, just splash a bit of water on your face. It works for me as a mid-afternoon clubman revitalizer.

Top Bottom