What's new

Is there a cologne that smells like Pinaud Clubman after-shave?

I was wondering where to look for canoe, it seems to be the most suggested of the similar brands. I actually have a Big Lots in my town, as well as some other places like Target, TJ Maxx, etc. I can run the circuit and see what I find. Good to have a starting point though, thanks for the head's up!

If you have a Rose's or Big Lots around you, they should have Canoe, its pretty cheap too.

Have you tried splashing some Clubman on your chest? I would typically splash it on at around 10 am and could still smell it at 3 pm. In my experience, fragrances seem to last longer under clothing.

+1 on Canoe. Check out your local discount stores, "Big Lots" type shops. I see it in those places all the time, often in gift sets.

I tried applying Clubman to the chest pretty liberally and I will say the fragrance was with me a good chunk of the work day. I wasn't checking myself much, but now and then the shirt would flex and allow air in then out through the neck opening and I could definitely smell it still.

I haven't had a chance to get to Big Lots yet, but I'll check it out, there is one here in my town. Also, happy to hear that Canoe is cheap! I will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled in any department stores I visit.

You may consider getting a small refillable atomizer that you can take with you or keep in your desk. Couple of squirts to solid up the scent when you feel the need

I tried Clubman for the first time yesterday. My girlfriend bought me a bottle at Sally's Beauty Supply.

It's not bad, but it is not really my style. I'm not an American, either, so it doesn't provide any barbershop nostalgia for me.
(My barber used to use a strong menthol aftershave of some kind; I strongly remember him splashing it on after he'd shave my neck! Pro Raso soap gives me flashbacks)

I found the floral opening to be loud and harsh, but it progressed into a decent little fougere. The mossy, musky powder wasn't too bad after it dried down and "smoothed out" for a spell.

I think the 355ml bottle will last me a lifetime, if it doesn't turn first... Still, as a fan of traditional masculine scents, I had to have this one for its own sake.

I definitely see the similiarities to Brut, and I think that that is the closest cologne to Clubman that I have ever tried. I think Brut is a little greener and less powdery, but they are definitely related. (I will never need to buy a bottle of Brut with this on hand - if I want a splash of Americana, here we go)

Still, the Pinaud is strong as hell so if I loved that scent like the OP I would listen to turtle and get a small atomizer full of the stuff.

I personally think Pinaud is too potent and too unlike my tastes for me to use it as an aftershave; it would be irritating and overwhelming to me. Still, yesterday and today I dashed a little on my wrists and neck - it lasts a surprisingly long time, though the projection is minimal when you use a light hand.

With that said, smelling the remnants of the Clubman I applied this morning prompted me to use some YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. They are not very similar, but there are faint fougere/barbershop associations between them in my mind. The RGPH is more of my style, though, and I am more comfortable wearing that at a higher concentration.

Get a Canoe (or Clubman if you can find it) car air freshener and hang it in your closet with your shirts and jackets.

PHM
--------

Good tips, I'll definitely try the chest trick tomorrow. I think if I could smuggle a hint of that smell into the afternoon I'll be happy. I may have to invest in a larger size container of Clubman when I re-stock!

I was wondering where to look for canoe, it seems to be the most suggested of the similar brands. I actually have a Big Lots in my town, as well as some other places like Target, TJ Maxx, etc. I can run the circuit and see what I find. Good to have a starting point though, thanks for the head's up!

I'm a little late on this, but Trufitt & Hill makes a very complementary Clubman-scented cologne that works well on top of Pinaud Clubman AS; fresh, clean combo, but you may want to try out a sample spritz of the Trufitt before committing to the $75 purchase price.

Pinaud's website (http://www.clubmanonline.com) doesn't offer much of a clue, though they make a Clubman Special Reserve scent that seems plausibly related. As of this writing I am waiting to hear back from the company, of whom I asked the same question.

Surprisingly pleasing scent at an unbeatable price.

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I dont know how I missed this thread, and it is a bit old. But an almost dead ringer for Pinaud Clubman is Penhaligon's Raquets. Great stuff IMHO

I dont know how I missed this thread, and it is a bit old. But an almost dead ringer for Pinaud Clubman is Penhaligon's Raquets. Great stuff IMHO

Hmmm, noses vary. I wear Racquets a lot. And I have Clubman. D you really think they are very close Issac. I guess I get a similarity.

Hmmm, noses vary. I wear Racquets a lot. And I have Clubman. D you really think they are very close Issac. I guess I get a similarity.

I do. Racquets is to Clubman as Sartorial is to Brut. I wouldn't go so far as to say a dead ringer, but you can definitely see the inspiration behind them.

Canoe is a safe bet. I personally find it more refined and simple than Clubman but close. Try Walgreens as well. Also saw an AS/Cologne gift pack at Walmart for Christmas, might still have some on sale.

I'm a big fan of Azzaro PH. I don't think it's terribly close to clubman, but has that manly fougere vibe. For what it's worth, I generally don't buy aftershaves and would rather use my own mix of witch hazel followed by my chosen EDT for the day; however, the Azzaro PH AS is exceptionally good and adds a layer to the scent when combined with the EDT.

Here's a sideways suggestion for a post Clubman scent. Last summer I shaved and applied the Clubman, but my skin still felt stretched and dried out. I've been using Occitane Cade ASB for nearly a decade, it's a go to product for me when my skin feels roughed up and so I put some on. The combo of scents between the Cade and the Clubman was terrific. Wouldn't have predicted it, but they worked very well together.

Canoe is a safe bet. I personally find it more refined and simple than Clubman but close. Try Walgreens as well. Also saw an AS/Cologne gift pack at Walmart for Christmas, might still have some on sale.

I'm a big fan of Azzaro PH. I don't think it's terribly close to clubman, but has that manly fougere vibe. For what it's worth, I generally don't buy aftershaves and would rather use my own mix of witch hazel followed by my chosen EDT for the day; however, the Azzaro PH AS is exceptionally good and adds a layer to the scent when combined with the EDT.

Canoe is definitely the closest followed by Racquets. That said, here is another big fan of Azzaro PH which does have that barbershop-ish fougere vibe although more aromatic. It's legendary.

Hmmm, Clubman is pretty strong stuff. But an EdT like Canoe will likely last a lot longer for sure. If you do find it smells a lot like Clubman, you can still use Clubman as your AS, and apply some Canoe to chest; wrists.

I asked the same question a while back, and got Canoe EDT for about $20 on Amazon. It IS very close. I also think Mama Bear's Dragon's Blood cologne is very similar, as well. Love them all.

OCDingly tried to solve the riddle, and bought both the Canoe and the Brut cologne, then sprayed those + Clubman + Truefitt's Clubman scent on 4 napkins.

My wife threw two of them out before I could complete the laboratory experiment, but was surprised at how strongly the Brut resembles the Clubman, and how much longer the scent lasted - Pinaud's Clubman was a lingering memory by the morning, but Brut was still evident without being overpowering.

FWIW the Canoe is highly reminiscent though (as some concur) slightly more powdery. The Truefitt and Hill's main difference is a little harder to quantify (except for its giant pricing difference), but I would say that it may have a slightly more herbal or floral scent...but yet, still blends perfectly as a cologne after the Pinaud AS has done its skin bracing work. Mrs. Dan thought the combo smelled "clean, fresh, a little soapy".

As far as the Canoe over the Pinaud, once the two are layered, you may as well be wearing a more EDT level Pinaud. Haven't tried layering the Brut yet, but smelling out of the bottle it is indiscernible from the Pinaud.

Incidentally, did actually hear back from Corrado Cutlery (another sub of American International Industries, owner of the Pinaud brand; Corrado apparently gets all the web inquiries for http://www.clubmanonline.com).

Here's what they said, in 2 parts, when responding to the question "Is there a cologne version of the Clubman AS?"
Part 1:

No, the Clubman After Shave has its own scent. Each scent is different. There is not a specific cologne only with that scent. Here is the customer service telephone number for Pinaud-Clubman if you need more information:
American International Industries: 800-621-9585

Part 2:
Just an FYI, all the Clubman scent wear off fairly quickly even the colognes. Clubman is a nice quality, inexpensive line meant for barber shops and clubs. It is meant to be used freely but does not have the same essences that high end after shaves do which, of course cots much more. We also carry some very nice high end English scents from D.R. Harris if you would like to try those. Here is a link:
http://www.clubmanonline.com/d-r-harris-shaving-creams-soaps-toiletries.html

Top Bottom