What's new

Is there a cheaper version of the King C Gillette blades?

Took a road trip and found that I had no razor blades when unpacking (the horror!).

Walgreens to the rescue! I picked up the KCG's instead of Personna's just to try something new. Wow, these are great.

I am ordering some of the light blue Platinums to compare. I also have lots of Nacets that I can try head-to-head with the KCG's. . . but the Nacets are not nearly as smooth (based on my memory) as the KGC's.

I haven’t used Nacets in a few years. I never bought any more than the two tucks I initially bought. They were good, but they didn’t impress me that much. I am really curious about the KCG blade.

. . . . . I am really curious about the KCG blade.

They are definitely the ones to get if you need to pick up a few at a "brick and mortar" store. I know it wasn't a placebo in my case--I was expecting a rough shave (having never heard of them) and was pleasantly surprised. I only started researching after being impressed.

I have tried a few blades now to see if they are the same as the KCG's.

Nacet: Not nearly as smooth. I prefer the KGC's

Yellow 7 O'Clock: Every bit as smooth, not quite as sharp or as long lasting. I really like these blades.

Gillette Platinum (Blue Box / White Letters): These could be the same as the KCG's. They have the same longevity in terms of number of shaves and at least very similar smoothness and sharpness (so far after six shaves and one follow-up where I took a few strokes with the Platinum and immediately switched to the KGC). I noticed the glue spots are different, with the KGC having four "corner" dots. The fold order on the wrapper is also different, but this could be packaging--I hope Gillette adopts the 4 dot style. I am glad I went ahead and bought 100 of these (at less than $18 delivered from the club). At this price, I would prefer the Blue Box Platinums even if they weren't exactly the same as the KGC's (but so far, I think they are the same).

Still need to try some others from PPI (like the tri-color box Platinums and the Greens). It will takes some time though.

Yellow 7 O'Clock: Every bit as smooth, not quite as sharp or as long lasting. I really like these blades.

Gillette Platinum (Blue Box / White Letters): These could be the same as the KCG's. They have the same longevity in terms of number of shaves and at least very similar smoothness and sharpness (so far after six shaves and one follow-up where I took a few strokes with the Platinum and immediately switched to the KGC). I noticed the glue spots are different, with the KGC having four "corner" dots. The fold order on the wrapper is also different, but this could be packaging--I hope Gillette adopts the 4 dot style. I am glad I went ahead and bought 100 of these (at less than $18 delivered from the club). At this price, I would prefer the Blue Box Platinums even if they weren't exactly the same as the KGC's (but so far, I think they are the same).

Still need to try some others from PPI (like the tri-color box Platinums and the Greens). It will takes some time though.
Thanks, Elvis! I’ll keep this in mind.

Another blade that pops up in the discussion is the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black (even though it's made in India). I suppose it's possible that Gillette decided to essential make a 7 O'Clock Black at the Russia Plant as an easy way to get a "new blade" (A bit like how they make Gillette Wilkinson Swords in both India and China now).

Does anyone know how the KCG blades compare to the old 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Blue that were made in Russia?

Last edited:
Been using some the Gillette Platinum Light Blue Box blades for the last while (for those in the US - they're available on Amazon.com Prime: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KJNC4B5), and recently have been using the King C Gillette to compare (thanks to member "Mata_66", we arranged a blade trade and he sent a generous packet).

I've found the Gillette Platinum Light Blue to be identical to the King C Gillette blades.

Have recently also (re)tried some of the other blades in question - Gillette Nacet, Gillette Platinum Navy Blue/White Box, Gillette 7 O'Clocks and while they are quite decent blades of varying degrees, I don't find that they match the quality of the King C Gillette/GiIIette Platinum Light Blue Box

Been using some the Gillette Platinum Light Blue Box blades for the last while (for those in the US - they're available on Amazon.com Prime: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KJNC4B5), and recently have been using the King C Gillette to compare (thanks to member "Mata_66", we arranged a blade trade and he sent a generous packet).

I've found the Gillette Platinum Light Blue to be identical to the King C Gillette blades.

Have recently also (re)tried some of the other blades in question - Gillette Nacet, Gillette Platinum Navy Blue/White Box, Gillette 7 O'Clocks and while they are quite decent blades of varying degrees, I don't find that they match the quality of the King C Gillette/GiIIette Platinum Light Blue Box

I would check Razor Blades Club. $17 for 100 is better than $20 for 50. These don't show up on the front page but they are visible if checking through the menu under DE blades. You can get blades 1 blade or 1 tuck at a time too if you feel like testing more.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would check Razor Blades Club. $17 for 100 is better than $20 for 50. These don't show up on the front page but they are visible if checking through the menu under DE blades. You can get blades 1 blade or 1 tuck at a time too if you feel like testing more.

Thanks for the reviews and link on the Platinum's. Just picked up the 100 count.

Thanks for the reviews and link on the Platinum's. Just picked up the 100 count.
Any time! You will see when they arrive, they are essentially two of the 10x5 boxes shown in post #3. Please share your thoughts on how they compare.

I am finding more and more that I agree with @Jopo regarding these comments. I am really liking these a lot. I am to the point I want to also use them for a good while and then maybe cycle back as a test to some of my past favorites. I thought one of the pictures on the Amazon link was interesting. Everything I got looks like what is circled.

1615683850965.png

I tried the KCG blades recently and liked them. Price of blades alone is way steep. Too rich for my blood.

Me too. If they ever decide to sell them in bulk packs for a decent price, I might grab some, but I am not going to pay $6.00 for ten blades when there are many blades I love that I can get for less than $15 per 100.

I just saw these at Walmart and was curious, so I'll take a look at them. They are cheaper than the Wilkinson Swords, which are way overpriced but one of my favourites. I have tried pretty much all of the Gillette blades and was hoping that this might be the return of the spoilers. I still have about 10 spoilers so I'll put those to the test and see how they compare to the new KCG blades.

I just saw these at Walmart and was curious, so I'll take a look at them. They are cheaper than the Wilkinson Swords, which are way overpriced but one of my favourites. I have tried pretty much all of the Gillette blades and was hoping that this might be the return of the spoilers. I still have about 10 spoilers so I'll put those to the test and see how they compare to the new KCG blades.

If purchased at local stores both King Gillette blades and Wilkeison Sword blades are expensive (about 60 cents per blade). However, you can purchase 100 Wilkinson Sword blades online for a little over 20 cents per blade. However, there are lots of excellent blades that can be purchased in bulk for even less per blade.

If purchased at local stores both King Gillette blades and Wilkeison Sword blades are expensive (about 60 cents per blade). However, you can purchase 100 Wilkinson Sword blades online for a little over 20 cents per blade. However, there are lots of excellent blades that can be purchased in bulk for even less per blade.
That's true, I have over 1200 blades right now lol. I think I should run through my supply a bit.

I've revisited these a few days ago and I find them ok, but nothing spectacular or great and I find Nacet much better. I was hoping to like them, since I can find them very cheap locally, but I wasn't impressed.

81Z-SrkXVpL._SY355_.jpg

Top Bottom