What's new

Is there a BEST Aftershave balm?

Or maybe is there a top 3? I know this is really a matter of preference but thought I would ask to see what comes up.

This is what I am looking for. I prefer an AS that has a lite to no scent so it doesn't compete with my cologne. I prefer a lotion or balm type since I shave my head also I feel I get better coverage and less waste of the product. Don't really want alcohol since I am still new to straight razors and I can get my throat and chin pretty raw.

Some of my favorite scents right now are Taylors St James, T/H 1805, and Dolce and Gabana.

Currently I am using Old Spice Soothing AS balm. I like it. It doesn't burn bad at all even if I have a pretty raw face and the scent is nice.

I saw where the Nancy Boy AS was getting some pretty good reviews so maybe a good one? I wanted to try the Lime Castle Forbes since I like citrusy scents but haven't heard much about it.

My budget is pretty tight right now so I don't have the luxurie of buying many different ones.

I enjoy my shave so I wonderd if there was something better than the Old Spice that I am using.

Tomarrow I plan to buy some Taylors St James cream, some kind of AS, and possibly a cologne ( one of the 3 listed above likely)

Feel free to post whatever you can think of, or just list off some. I'll do the research if needed.

Thanks
Larry

PS I was also thinking of getting some Florida Water too.

I have to go with GFT's Coral Skin Food or Limes Skin Food. They are very light in feel, zero tack or residue, and the scent dissipates in less than a minute. I use the Coral after every shave.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Is there a best aftershave balm?

Absolutely! In fact, if you ask ten people, you'll find that there are ten best aftershave balms.

ouch said:

Absolutely! In fact, if you ask ten people, you'll find that there are ten best aftershave balms.

HEHE yea I am afraid that will happen but i'll see what happens.

inkling said:
I have to go with GFT's Coral Skin Food or Limes Skin Food. They are very light in feel, zero tack or residue, and the scent dissipates in less than a minute. I use the Coral after every shave.

I like them bith but am not really sure if they qualify as a balm. Funnily enough and if the skin foods aren't balms my favourite is Proraso and good old cheap Nivea Sensitive.

I like the AOS unscented balm when I need more moisturizing and Trumper's Skin Food when I feel I need less. I just picked up the castle forbes lime A/S balm and really like the scent and the feel. They are all pretty pricey but excellent. I would also pick up bottle of the Proraso Aftershave balm, it's a fraction of the cost and does a great job. Of the ones I've mentioned, only the AOS balm is truly unscented. The rest have a scent but it doesn't really last long enough to interfere with your EDT of choice.

ouch said:

yeah... if you ask 10 NORMAL people... if you ask 10 B&B'ers you will find out that there are about 16 best balms... :biggrin:

That said, my top 3 are:
- Proraso "milky" balm (not the pre/post)
- T&H ultimate comfort
- Baxters balm

In addition to the above, I enjoy C&E's ASBs...L'Occitane Cade ASB...Truefitt & Hill Classic Balm...

If you have a Crabtree & Evelyn near, you can stop by for some samples of their ASB's...and you can purchase a small Cade ASB from L'Occitane for a couple of bucks as well (Travel Size).

ouch said:

[IDIOT_REMARK] Ah well, then we sort them on post count of the poster and use that top 3!! [/IDIOT_REMARK]

I know I know...

My top three value a/s balms are:

Proraso a/s balm (not the pre-post shave)
Nivea a/s balms
Neutrogena Post-Shave Defence

These are all pretty easy to find and represent good value IMHO.

Crabtree & Evelyn balms are wonderful. The sandalwood is just strong enough to last all day and has a wonderful scent. Works great too. I have no idea how it would interfere with a cologne, since I usually try and either layer scents or just go with the balm alone.

I like both the Proraso Pre/Post and the Proraso Aftershave Balm. Besides being great products, they are also very affordable and provided you live in the US, as easy to obtain as going to your local Target store.

g8orshavr said:
I like the AOS unscented balm when I need more moisturizing and Trumper's Skin Food when I feel I need less. I just picked up the castle forbes lime A/S balm and really like the scent and the feel. They are all pretty pricey but excellent. I would also pick up bottle of the Proraso Aftershave balm, it's a fraction of the cost and does a great job. Of the ones I've mentioned, only the AOS balm is truly unscented. The rest have a scent but it doesn't really last long enough to interfere with your EDT of choice.

I'll vouch for the AOS balms too. I have the Sandalwood, and enjoy it very much. The AOS balms are a top-notch product....but, not of the cheap variety.

I like just about everything merntioned above but, if you are looking for something cheap with no scent or a very light scent use Cornhuskers lotion. It is oil free, virtually scent free, and cheap. Just wet your hands, pour a small amount and rub on your face. I too shave my head and in the winter when my skin gets dry this stuff works really well.

Dinder1 said:
Anyone try the pre shave conditioner? I was thinking of purchasing the Feather ASB, when I also noticed the pre shave stuff as well.
Cheers, DJ.

For a pre-shave conditioner I think that many (or at least some) here choose to use hair conditioner. I do from time to time, and I think that it works great.

Top Bottom