What's new

Is there a BEST Aftershave balm?

NMMB said:
For a pre-shave conditioner I think that many (or at least some) here choose to use hair conditioner. I do from time to time, and I think that it works great.
I thought this was interesting, the description says that you can use the Feather pre shave directly on your face, or that you can lather it directly into your shaving cream or soap.
Cheers, DJ.

boboakalfb said:
In addition to the above, I enjoy C&E's ASBs...L'Occitane Cade ASB...Truefitt & Hill Classic Balm...

If you have a Crabtree & Evelyn near, you can stop by for some samples of their ASB's...and you can purchase a small Cade ASB from L'Occitane for a couple of bucks as well (Travel Size).

Some of my favorite A/S Balms.

My top three are as follows (not in order):
Brave Soldier Code Blue
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort
Nancy Boy

I also like Trumper Skin Food, but tend to use it as an after-aftershave.

Although I've paid more $$ for the more upscale stuff, Proraso still does it best for me. Light scent; wonderfully refreshing; not heavy or tacky on the skin. And priced right.

What more can you ask for?

I'd say the best is what works best for you and your skin. And every person and their skin is different. I find that Neutrogena's Razor Relief works very well for me. It actually does what it says it will do. Anyone here ever tried it? One thing you mention is not wanting to compete with your colonge. I would say then that you might want to get a good, unscented balm or lotion where the emphasis is on the healing powers of the concoktion, and not on a scent. Good luck!

Christoph said:
I'd say the best is what works best for you and your skin. And every person and their skin is different. I find that Neutrogena's Razor Relief works very well for me. It actually does what it says it will do. Anyone here ever tried it? One thing you mention is not wanting to compete with your colonge. I would say then that you might want to get a good, unscented balm or lotion where the emphasis is on the healing powers of the concoktion, and not on a scent. Good luck!

I was using Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion SPF 20 and I have no complaints with it. Just didn't last me long at all since it comes in a small tube and I put it on my whole head.

I think tomarrow I will send the QED guy an email or just make a purchase. I just might try the Proraso, the general opinion seems a good pick. I want to get some of the Florida water just because I am curious and maybe couple other little goodies.

pitbulls20 said:
Have you ever used this or anyone at all??

Sure - I use it nearly every day which was why I recommended it (see my SOTD entries). It is just a fantastic product with excellent ingredients like witch hazel and rose oil with a hint of peppermint, and I am somewhat puzzled at the low play that it gets on the boards - just might have to do a review... It matched pretty exactly the description of what you were looking for I thought.

The balm comes on a nice quality plastic pump bottle. One pump dispenses just the right amount of balm - about the size of a dime. It looks quite similar to the Proraso liquid balm but the consistency is seems a bit different and having used both. I find the Feather stuff to be superior to Proraso, plus you get more product for just a couple dollars more so it probably works out cost wise. The sales rep at Classic Shaving said it is far and away their most popular aftershave balm. The bald guys on the California golf courses use it for the tops of their heads when they get sunburn too so it really makes the rounds and alot of walk in sales from word of mouth too, or so she said.

Dennis

In no particular order, and partly dependent on the season (Winter, Summer):

CAR Hydrolast Skin Conditioner
Nivea For Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm
Trumper's Skin Food
Cornhuskers Lotion

--Mark

Nivea sensitive A/S...
The 2 other from Nivea have alcohol ; I used to like the mild one, but they have removed the moisturizing stuff and added alcohol...too bad

Mike02 said:
Sure - I use it nearly every day which was why I recommended it (see my SOTD entries). It is just a fantastic product with excellent ingredients like witch hazel and rose oil with a hint of peppermint, and I am somewhat puzzled at the low play that it gets on the boards - just might have to do a review... It matched pretty exactly the description of what you were looking for I thought.

Dennis

Dennis,

This sounds very much like the Nancy Boy a/s gel.

Can you confirm that these are similar in fragrance and constitution?

-joedy

Joedy said:
Dennis,

This sounds very much like the Nancy Boy a/s gel.

Can you confirm that these are similar in fragrance and constitution?

-joedy
Joedy - I have (had - Rossination now has my NB stuff) both. The NB Cooling ASB contains alcohol which I did not care for at all - YMMV of course. The Feather stuff does not contain alcohol. Otherwise, yup, I suppose they would be somewhat similar except the scent on the Feather is quite light and dissipates quickly - the NB scent is more pow, in your face kind of thing.

Dennis

I would be hard pressed to come up with my call for the BEST aftershave but I'll give my $.02 with several:

Feather - Best value if you don't need heavy moisturizing
C&E - High quality and readily available. Available with same scent EDTs
D R Harris aftershave milk - A little pricey but does a great job
L'Occitane CADE - Great job if you're in the "I need moisturizing" camp

Top Bottom