What's new

Is the upgraded model electric shaver worth the higher price?

In the end blade shaving can be as inexpensive as shaving with a Bic plastic handle razor or as expensive as a handmade double edge razor that you have buy on the secondary market or wait for years to purchase. In the end the result we all want is the same thing, a smooth face. Obviously, the big difference is that it’s difficult to cut yourself with an electric shaver regardless of the price and with a blade you can cut yourself with even the most expensive razor.

What started out as a simple device designed to shave without water using AC power have become very hitech devices with lots of features. Obviously, having a shave timer has limited usefulness and doesn’t really improve the shave. The real question is does the price of the tool really make a difference in the experience of shaving.

In the end blade shaving can be as inexpensive as shaving with a Bic plastic handle razor or as expensive as a handmade double edge razor that you have buy on the secondary market or wait for years to purchase. In the end the result we all want is the same thing, a smooth face. Obviously, the big difference is that it’s difficult to cut yourself with an electric shaver regardless of the price and with a blade you can cut yourself with even the most expensive razor.

What started out as a simple device designed to shave without water using AC power have become very hitech devices with lots of features. Obviously, having a shave timer has limited usefulness and doesn’t really improve the shave. The real question is does the price of the tool really make a difference in the experience of shaving.
I don't think the price matters one bit. It's all about prep and technique for me.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I don't think the price matters one bit. It's all about prep and technique for me.

Clayton

True, for example my all time favourite razor is cheap wilkinson sword extra 2 sensitive (in US known as Shick ST2). Paired with good cream/soap yields great result, even more so that I always questioned DE when I used them. I haven't used them for quite some time now, should give them a try again. Green shave; extra 2 sensitive, proraso cream and some nice AS with good prep is all you actually need. However buying a DE razor and electric razor is like an investment and I understand people that buy cleaning stations and more expensive razors. They want something that will last (and it should) and they want to take care of it.

Clayton

You are correct that the cheaper razor may give as good a shave as a more expensive one especially if you are using an electric shaver wet with or without shaving cream. Using it wet introduces another variable that can’t be accounted in a comparison easily. My point was that with electric shavers the higher priced ones may have the same head and cutter but have more features or more cutters. A true comparison of electric shaver models with different designs of screen or cutter would require a side by side test. Such a test would still be subjective unless you shaved with shaver one on the left side and shaver two on the right side.

I just had a very enjoyable 99.9% BBS shave with my Braun Series-7. I knocked down 3-days worth of growth in about 12 minutes. For my preshave I used Flag & Sail Electric Preshave. After a warm water rinse I finished my shave with a splash of Aqua Velva Musk AS. With proper prep and technique any shaving method can give good results.

Clayton

You mentioned having a three day growth and shaving it easily with your Braun 7 series. I usually shave every day because by the end of the second day without shaving my face begins to itch. How many days has anyone gone without shaving and been able to get a good shave with their electric shaver without having to use the trimmer or a pair of scissors to get the hairs short enough to shave with just the shaver?

You mentioned having a three day growth and shaving it easily with your Braun 7 series. I usually shave every day because by the end of the second day without shaving my face begins to itch. How many days has anyone gone without shaving and been able to get a good shave with their electric shaver without having to use the trimmer or a pair of scissors to get the hairs short enough to shave with just the shaver?
I went 6 day's once back in 2013 when I had the Stomach Flu. My Braun Series-5 that I had at the time gave me a smooth shave. I remember it took about 20 minutes and I had to clean out the shaver once during the shave.

Clayton

I guess electric has come a long way since my day. I've tried 2 electrics in my 55+ years of shaving and even with a lighter beard, if I didn't shave at least every other day, it was like plucking hairs out with a tweezer.

I guess electric has come a long way since my day. I've tried 2 electrics in my 55+ years of shaving and even with a lighter beard, if I didn't shave at least every other day, it was like plucking hairs out with a tweezer.
I assume that your comment about plucking out hairs with a tweezer refers to using an electric shaver in the past. Because it only takes five minutes or so to shave with an electric I just do it every day. On the weekends I shave later in the day instead of first thing in the morning. I have not shaved for three days on occasion and had no problem using my Panasonic ES8103 to get a very close shave which took maybe another couple of minutes longer than it does to shave every day. The advantages of using an electric shaver is speed and convenience.

I tend to buy the middle priced product in most things. Is the upgraded model shaver of any brand worth the higher cost. For example according to the Braun online store the model 5 with cleaning station sells for $130 US, the model 7 with cleaning station $190 and the model 9 with cleaning station $279. Is the difference in the prices worth the cost in the quality of the shave?
I just shaved this morning with a Braun series 1-130s, I have to say coming from straights for about 5 or 6 years, this razor shaved 90 to 95 percent as good. The price was less than 25 percent of my norelco series 9000 and shaves much closer. This is my 6th electric razor in over 40 years, the least Expensive and the closest shave. Bells and whistles do not give a closer shave. This is just from my Experience

Generally speaking, your return on investment gets reduced with each successive step up...not always but usually. If you like the extra bells & whistles, go for it. Will it shave better? Probably not but it's probably prettier! LOL

I have found I get a better electric shave with a single foil razor compared to double and triple foils, I bought it Because it is corded and single foil. The low price is just an added Bonus

I just shaved this morning with a Braun series 1-130s, I have to say coming from straights for about 5 or 6 years, this razor shaved 90 to 95 percent as good. The price was less than 25 percent of my norelco series 9000 and shaves much closer. This is my 6th electric razor in over 40 years, the least Expensive and the closest shave. Bells and whistles do not give a closer shave. This is just from my Experience
I just checked out the series 1 and it looks like a very close throwback to the Braun shavers of the 1970s with the addition of a push up trimmer. You don’t have to spend a lot of money if you don’t mind having the electric cord and an AC outlet in your bathroom. You could use this one for as long as Braun continues to make replacement cutters and screens.

That’s why I bought it, it looks like basic 1970’s or 80’s. I do not like Rechargeable razors, I have an Electrical Outlet in my bathroom and tv room. Shaving in the tv room is nice with a portable Mirror, nice,nice.

I just had a very enjoyable 99.9% BBS shave with my Braun Series-7. I knocked down 3-days worth of growth in about 12 minutes. For my preshave I used Flag & Sail Electric Preshave. After a warm water rinse I finished my shave with a splash of Aqua Velva Musk AS. With proper prep and technique any shaving method can give good results.

Clayton

Clayton’s comment about his Braun series 7 giving him a 99.9% BBS. I did a search on barber shops here in Dallas and discovered that a BBS will set you back $30 to $40. When was the last time you had one? For me it was 1968 and I can’t remember how close it really was. I do remember that I didn’t have to shave for a couple of days, I think. I’m not ready to part with that much money myself to try another BBS.😆 However, if any of you have had one recently it would be an interesting comparison to see if Clayton’s percentage is close.

Clayton’s comment about his Braun series 7 giving him a 99.9% BBS. I did a search on barber shops here in Dallas and discovered that a BBS will set you back $30 to $40. When was the last time you had one? For me it was 1968 and I can’t remember how close it really was. I do remember that I didn’t have to shave for a couple of days, I think. I’m not ready to part with that much money myself to try another BBS.😆 However, if any of you have had one recently it would be an interesting comparison to see if Clayton’s percentage is close.
The last barber shave I had was in 1976 or 77. I know it was not even close to bbs, how ever bbs was never even Mentioned.

I have the model 5 back when it was new I personally don’t think paying more for something that does the same job. IMO electric shavers aren’t great they work but just the experiences iv had is they tend to miss stray hairs, so I stay away. the philips body trimmer on the other hand can’t fault it shaves and clips, only electric I can personally say I like and does a good job.

Top Bottom