What's new

Is the upgraded model electric shaver worth the higher price?

I have the model 5 back when it was new I personally don’t think paying more for something that does the same job. IMO electric shavers aren’t great they work but just the experiences iv had is they tend to miss stray hairs, so I stay away. the philips body trimmer on the other hand can’t fault it shaves and clips, only electric I can personally say I like and does a good job.

I don’t know how old your model 5 is nor brand. However, basically electric shavers work best if you keep your beard cut. Obviously, your Phillips body trimmer will work best on those stray hairs because it’s designed to cut longer hairs. If you have a problem with your shaver getting those longer hairs that lay flat a newer and or higher priced shaver may be what you need if you want to try an electric shaver.

I think there are a couple of things that will make electric shaving more successful.
1. Use your shaver daily for a couple of weeks to allow your beard and face to become accustomed to the new shaver.
2. Once your face and beard becomes accustomed don’t switch back and forth between blade and electric shaving. Here’s an excerpt from shavercheck,com which is a good resource for shaver reviews.

A razor blade will scrape off a thin layer of skin cells which triggers the body to produce scar tissue. It takes a few weeks to get rid of it and during that time you won’t get the best results with an electric shaver.
This is why all electric shaver manufacturers state that you should allow your skin a few weeks to get used to the new way of shaving.
So it’s best to simply pick one method and stick to it.

Last edited:
I don’t know how old your model 5 is nor brand. However, basically electric shavers work best if you keep your beard cut. Obviously, your Phillips body trimmer will work best on those stray hairs because it’s designed to cut longer hairs. If you have a problem with your shaver getting those longer hairs that lay flat a newer and or higher priced shaver may be what you need if you want to try an electric shaver.

I think there are a couple of things that will make electric shaving more successful.
1. Use your shaver daily for a couple of weeks to allow your beard and face to become accustomed to the new shaver.
2. Once your face and beard becomes accustomed don’t switch back and forth between blade and electric shaving. Here’s an excerpt from shavercheck,com which is a good resource for shaver reviews.

A razor blade will scrape off a thin layer of skin cells which triggers the body to produce scar tissue. It takes a few weeks to get rid of it and during that time you won’t get the best results with an electric shaver.
This is why all electric shaver manufacturers state that you should allow your skin a few weeks to get used to the new way of shaving.
So it’s best to simply pick one method and stick to it.
I started again with electric razors after six years, electric mon- fri , sat. and sun. de or straight. I hope my face adjusts to the electric.

I started again with electric razors after six years, electric mon- fri , sat. and sun. de or straight. I hope my face adjusts to the electric.

You may want to stick with the electric on the weekends also. At least until your beard and face becomes accustomed.

I just found a norelco spectra 8831xl I forgot about, must have put it away some time ago. I can’t find any info on it, the bay wants $500 dollars for it, as a side note it shaves quicker and closer than my norelco series 9000 which cost close to $300 when new, any opinions or info will be very helpful

In my opinion the top of the line shaver is the top of the line because of bells and whistles. I don’t think that the actual head and cutting system is measurably going to give you any closer or more comfortable shave than a lower priced model. Some of the bells and whistles include things such as a cleaning station which IMHO is just a worthless device that takes up counter space, must be refilled with cleaning fluid, and is not required for comfortable, close shaves. Other useless features are automatic power control. These are sensors which supposedly determine the speed of the shaver as a function of the thickness of your beard. My seven series Braun shaver has a manual speed control which doesn’t make any perceptible difference in the speed or quality of the shave.

I have been shaving with screen type shavers since 1973 without any of the features available on modern shavers. The closeness of the shave hasn’t improved as significantly as the features and the price. The biggest change has been rechargeable batteries and multiple cutters. Unfortunately, AC plug in shavers are only available on the lowest priced shavers which is unfortunate because plug in shavers last for a very, very long time. NiCad rechargeable shavers’ battries will eventually die and the shaver will have to be replaced. Obviously, the rechargeable shavers are here to stay.

I agree wholeheartedly about the bells and whistles, I am thinking about getting the Panasonic arc 3 $79 from the big river, how do you compare it to other shavers you have used? Right now I use a Braun single foil series 1-190s for my sideburns and moustache edging and the norelco spectra for the rest of the shave. The arc3 seems like the best of both?

I agree wholeheartedly about the bells and whistles, I am thinking about getting the Panasonic arc 3 $79 from the big river, how do you compare it to other shavers you have used? Right now I use a Braun single foil series 1-190s for my sideburns and moustache edging and the norelco spectra for the rest of the shave. The arc3 seems like the best of both?

Before my Braun I had a Panasonic ES8103 and it was a terrific shaver. I nearly bought a replacement but I saw the Braun 7983S shaver at Costco for $99. The ES8103 always gave me great close shaves for nearly five years. It was washable and can be used wet or dry. I just checked on Amazon and the ES8103 is less money than the Arc 3. The only drawback to Panasonic shavers is that the screens and cutters are stainless steel and you can buy a new shaver for the a few bucks more than replacing the parts. However, I shaved with it daily for nearly five years on the original cutters and screens when the cutters became dull and started pulling. Also, after five years the battery wouldn’t hold a week’s charge. Check out the ES8103, it’s the best value for the money on a Panasonic shaver.

Before my Braun I had a Panasonic ES8103 and it was a terrific shaver. I nearly bought a replacement but I saw the Braun 7983S shaver at Costco for $99. The ES8103 always gave me great close shaves for nearly five years. It was washable and can be used wet or dry. I just checked on Amazon and the ES8103 is less money than the Arc 3. The only drawback to Panasonic shavers is that the screens and cutters are stainless steel and you can buy a new shaver for the a few bucks more than replacing the parts. However, I shaved with it daily for nearly five years on the original cutters and screens when the cutters became dull and started pulling. Also, after five years the battery wouldn’t hold a week’s charge. Check out the ES8103, it’s the best value for the money on a Panasonic shaver.
Thank you for quick response sir

I just found a norelco spectra 8831xl I forgot about, must have put it away some time ago. I can’t find any info on it, the bay wants $500 dollars for it, as a side note it shaves quicker and closer than my norelco series 9000 which cost close to $300 when new, any opinions or info will be very helpful
The Spectra was one of the best shavers that Norelco ever made. I own one and it gives a great shave. The batteries are replaceable, and new cutter head's are still available. I recommend getting a Vollco Resharpening Kit so you can resharpen your original cutters. They were made better and give a better shave than the newer version. Plus you save quite a bit of money resharpening your old cutters.

Clayton

The Spectra was one of the best shavers that Norelco ever made. I own one and it gives a great shave. The batteries are replaceable, and new cutter head's are still available. I recommend getting a Vollco Resharpening Kit so you can resharpen your original cutters. They were made better and give a better shave than the newer version. Plus you save quite a bit of money resharpening your old cutters.

Clayton
Thank you for help and information

Top Bottom