What's new

Is the upgraded model electric shaver worth the higher price?

I tend to buy the middle priced product in most things. Is the upgraded model shaver of any brand worth the higher cost. For example according to the Braun online store the model 5 with cleaning station sells for $130 US, the model 7 with cleaning station $190 and the model 9 with cleaning station $279. Is the difference in the prices worth the cost in the quality of the shave?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I tend to agree @Flyboybob. For consumer electronics I tend to go midrange. That seems to have the most value. I did depart with that when I bought the Panasonic Arc-5. It's a very nice razor, well built, works well and so on, but my Norelco that was 1/4 the price shaves at least 90 precent as well. The Norelco doesn't feel substantial or well built in the hand, but it works well.

Never having owned a lower end Panasonic nor higher end Norelco I can't make a proper comparison within those two brands.

I tend to buy the middle priced product in most things. Is the upgraded model shaver of any brand worth the higher cost. For example according to the Braun online store the model 5 with cleaning station sells for $130 US, the model 7 with cleaning station $190 and the model 9 with cleaning station $279. Is the difference in the prices worth the cost in the quality of the shave?
Any of the Braun Series Shavers from 3 to 9 are great shavers. I like them all, just don't try to shave more than a weeks worth of growth without getting some hair tugging. My Series-5 worked great for me until a family member talked me out of it. It gave me an excuse to try the Series-7 which I still use. Comparing the Series-7 to my Series-9 I would have to say that there isn't much of a difference between the two other than the higher price on the nine. I do like the slide up trimmer better than the flip up trimmer on the Series-7. If I had to recommend an electric Shaver to someone I would tell them to look at the Braun Series-5 Shavers that have been updated recently and can now be used for wetshaving. So yeah I guess I'm still a middle of the road cheap mid price type of guy.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I tend to agree @Flyboybob. For consumer electronics I tend to go midrange. That seems to have the most value. I did depart with that when I bought the Panasonic Arc-5. It's a very nice razor, well built, works well and so on, but my Norelco that was 1/4 the price shaves at least 90 precent as well. The Norelco doesn't feel substantial or well built in the hand, but it works well.

Never having owned a lower end Panasonic nor higher end Norelco I can't make a proper comparison within those two brands.
I owned a lower priced Panasonic ES8103, which is still being made, and I can’t see where the higher priced shaver would do a better job by having an extra cutter. Of course, that brings up the value of bells and whistles which raise the price.

Any of the Braun Series Shavers from 3 to 9 are great shavers. I like them all, just don't try to shave more than a weeks worth of growth without getting some hair tugging. My Series-5 worked great for me until a family member talked me out of it. It gave me an excuse to try the Series-7 which I still use. Comparing the Series-7 to my Series-9 I would have to say that there isn't much of a difference between the two other than the higher price on the nine. I do like the slide up trimmer better than the flip up trimmer on the Series-7. If I had to recommend an electric Shaver to someone I would tell them to look at the Braun Series-5 Shavers that have been updated recently and can now be used for wetshaving. So yeah I guess I'm still a middle of the road cheap mid price type of guy.

Clayton

Obviously, you are the expert having both a Braun series 7 and a series 9. Interestingly, the last Braun shaver I owned in the early 2000s the slide switch which also popped up the trimmer failed. BTW the trimmer on my Panasonic shaver also was the first thing to fail a couple of years ago.

One difference between the series 7 and 9 is the speed of the motor. I timed my shave this morning and it took five minutes including removing the top and cleaning out the cuttings onto a piece of toilet tissue. Does your shave go appreciably faster with the series 9 than with the 7?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@Flyboybob Interesting on the time. My panasonic has a clock that times the shave. A short shave for me is around 1:45 and a long one around 2:45. I've never timed the Norleco, but I think it's in that time frame too. The time difference in our shaves is probably down to beard or hair length rather than brand of razor. I shave daily so there isn't a lot to cut.

I have a 7 and a 9, and both are excellent shavers referencing the Braun 92XX Series and not the 90XX. As far as value for price, the 7 is probably a better bargain - that said, you should be able to pick up a 9 (in the US) for $250 or less, and I believe Braun currently has a $50 rebate on the 9. The build on the 7 is somewhat more substantial - more metal, less plastic - but the head on the 9, for me, provides a better shave, and faster because it covers more area. The 9 is slightly quieter in operation, but a little louder cleaning station due to the fan (the 7 is completely silent with an induction heater), although it only runs for about 40 minutes and isn't really that noisy (quieter than the Panasonic). The click stop head positioner on the 9 is a substantially better design, as is the trimmer - the trimmer and click stop on the 7 are notoriously flimsy. The 9 for me also provides a more comfortable shave, and the 2 flat trimmers on the head are more effective at trimming longer whiskers or odd angle growth. I also like the display on the 9 better, but a matter of taste. Cleaning stations are similar, and use the same cartridge. The 9 really is Braun's top of the line shaver, not hype, but slightly pricier than its vintage 7, although shopping around would maybe get the difference down to less than $50. Replacement heads for the 9 are also pricier than the 7. If it matters, there is apparently a new Braun model in China, but likely won't be seen in the US for a year or two, if then. Can't go wrong with either. My Amazon review:

9290cc vs 9095cc/799cc

The only reason I timed it this morning was that I had my watch on when I shaved. One would think that the faster motor would slightly shorten the time. Having a timer on the shaver is a bell or a whistle I would never have thought of having. Of course 20 years ago shaving wet would be considered a bell and cleaning with water a whistle.

I have a 7 and a 9, and both are excellent shavers referencing the Braun 92XX Series and not the 90XX. As far as value for price, the 7 is probably a better bargain - that said, you should be able to pick up a 9 (in the US) for $250 or less, and I believe Braun currently has a $50 rebate on the 9. The build on the 7 is somewhat more substantial - more metal, less plastic - but the head on the 9, for me, provides a better shave, and faster because it covers more area. The 9 is slightly quieter in operation, but a little louder cleaning station due to the fan (the 7 is completely silent with an induction heater), although it only runs for about 40 minutes and isn't really that noisy (quieter than the Panasonic). The click stop head positioner on the 9 is a substantially better design, as is the trimmer - the trimmer and click stop on the 7 are notoriously flimsy. The 9 for me also provides a more comfortable shave, and the 2 flat trimmers on the head are more effective at trimming longer whiskers or odd angle growth. I also like the display on the 9 better, but a matter of taste. Cleaning stations are similar, and use the same cartridge. The 9 really is Braun's top of the line shaver, not hype, but slightly pricier than its vintage 7, although shopping around would maybe get the difference down to less than $50. Replacement heads for the 9 are also pricier than the 7. If it matters, there is apparently a new Braun model in China, but likely won't be seen in the US for a year or two, if then. Can't go wrong with either. My Amazon review:

9290cc vs 9095cc/799cc
I’m familiar with the problem with the head locking function which is not an issue for me because I haven’t found a use for it. By going on Braun’s website and registering the warranty I got an extra year on the warranty. Hopefully, the trimmer will hold up for three years and be covered. The charge indicating lights on the series 7 are a joke but when the light turns red I have gotten two additional shaves and it’s not a big deal. The power mode function is also a gimmick whose only effect is to change the color of the power button. I picked up the 7893s for $100 at Costco and if it lasts five years it’s a bargain.

Last edited:
Other than the basic shaving function, what additional features are you willing to upgrade? For instance I’m not willing to upgrade for a shave timer function unless it came with the shaver.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Other than the basic shaving function, what additional features are you willing to upgrade? For instance I’m not willing to upgrade for a shave timer function unless it came with the shaver.

I certainly wouldn't either. I think in Panasonics case, the engineers, thought "why not" as they were putting in a battery power indicator. I didn't know it had the timer when I bought it and it would not have swayed me one way or another had I known about the timer.

I certainly wouldn't either. I think in Panasonics case, the engineers, thought "why not" as they were putting in a battery power indicator. I didn't know it had the timer when I bought it and it would not have swayed me one way or another had I known about the timer.
Braun could take a lesson on battery charge and other indicators from Panasonic. The German car manufacturers took lessons from the Japanese in the 1990s from Toyota, Honda and Nissan.

Various features on an electric shaver are worth more or less, depending on the user. Same quandary about whether a Wolfman is worth that much more than a Karve, or a Timeless, or an ATT. A charge indicator is very useful, but are 5 bars less useful than a percentage display? Maybe for aesthetics, but likely not practically. A timer? I actually like the timers on my Panasonics, but whether I observe 5 minutes or 10 minutes displayed for my morning shave, while academically interesting, doesn't impact my shaving technique significantly, if at all.

You mentioned basic shaving function, so what I have found somewhat useful is the flexibility of the head for instance, where the head will adapt to facial contours - or not - based on the ability of the head to rotate. Modern Panasoncs, 360 degrees. Brauns, more like 180, if described. Norelco, close to 360. Does it affect my shave? Moderately, but I actually adjust my technique to the shaver, although less effort covering facial contours with a more flexible head. Another useful feature is automatic speed adjustment. Braun Series 9 has it, Series 7 doesn't. Does it make a difference? Maybe a little. More dramatic is the difference in motor speed between different manufacturers - 14,000 cpm for Panasonic, 10,000 cpm for Braun. It changes the character of the shave, dramatically. Is 14,000 better, or worse? Depends on what you want from a shave - 14,000 cuts faster and closer, most would say the expense of comfort. You pays your money and you takes your choice. Small, incremental differences, just as with DE razors, may, or may not, make a difference to a particular user's morning shave, and be worth additional cost. Or not.

Obviously, you are the expert having both a Braun series 7 and a series 9. Interestingly, the last Braun shaver I owned in the early 2000s the slide switch which also popped up the trimmer failed. BTW the trimmer on my Panasonic shaver also was the first thing to fail a couple of years ago.

One difference between the series 7 and 9 is the speed of the motor. I timed my shave this morning and it took five minutes including removing the top and cleaning out the cuttings onto a piece of toilet tissue. Does your shave go appreciably faster with the series 9 than with the 7?
It goes just a few minutes faster. It does seem to get my chin, and jawline areas smoother in less passes which equals a faster shave.

Clayton

Your observations are spot on. According to my Braun 7 series owner’s manual, the shaver has three speed settings adjusted by two switches on either side of the power button. The following is from the Owner’s manual:
“Personalizing your shaver
By holding down the accelerator button –/+ (6) or (7) you can adjust the shaving power to your individual needs in the different areas of your face from sensitive to intensive. The pilot light in the on/off switch (5) changes within the following range:
(–) sensitive shave – light blue
– dark blue
– green
(+) intensive shave
For a thorough and fast shave we recommend the green (intensive) setting. When switching on next time, the last used setting will be activated.”

Other than changing the color of the power button I can’t tell any difference in the sound of the motor nor the feel of the shaver on my face between the three settings. Therefore, I just leave it on green.

My Panasonic ES8103 has a 13,000 cycle motor and the Braun 10,000. The motor speed does make a difference in the loudness of the shaver but the time to shave and the comfort of the two seem about the same. My skin must be pretty tough because I never experienced any irritation or discomfort with either shaver from the very first shave.

The Panasonic shaver had an LCD display to indicate the numeric percentage of charge left in the battery which was somewhat useful. Where as Braun has gone with two green lights and one red to indicate charge level. As long as the red light is not illuminated it’s got power. When the red light illuminates I have had at least two complete shaves remaining. The Panasonic also used the LCD screen to indicate with an icon when it needed cleaning and an icon when it was in the ten second cleaning mode. The clean light always illuminated after seven shaves and holding down the power button activated the cleaning mode which was obvious from the sound. All of which added nothing but extra cost. I went with that particular Panasonic model to get the 13,000 cycle motor.

If Braun left off two of the green lights and disposed of the accelerator gimmick the shaver would be just as good and maybe $20 US less money. I bought the Braun on sale at Costco for $100 US.

Various features on an electric shaver are worth more or less, depending on the user. Same quandary about whether a Wolfman is worth that much more than a Karve, or a Timeless, or an ATT. A charge indicator is very useful, but are 5 bars less useful than a percentage display? Maybe for aesthetics, but likely not practically. A timer? I actually like the timers on my Panasonics, but whether I observe 5 minutes or 10 minutes displayed for my morning shave, while academically interesting, doesn't impact my shaving technique significantly, if at all.

You mentioned basic shaving function, so what I have found somewhat useful is the flexibility of the head for instance, where the head will adapt to facial contours - or not - based on the ability of the head to rotate. Modern Panasoncs, 360 degrees. Brauns, more like 180, if described. Norelco, close to 360. Does it affect my shave? Moderately, but I actually adjust my technique to the shaver, although less effort covering facial contours with a more flexible head. Another useful feature is automatic speed adjustment. Braun Series 9 has it, Series 7 doesn't. Does it make a difference? Maybe a little. More dramatic is the difference in motor speed between different manufacturers - 14,000 cpm for Panasonic, 10,000 cpm for Braun. It changes the character of the shave, dramatically. Is 14,000 better, or worse? Depends on what you want from a shave - 14,000 cuts faster and closer, most would say the expense of comfort. You pays your money and you takes your choice. Small, incremental differences, just as with DE razors, may, or may not, make a difference to a particular user's morning shave, and be worth additional cost. Or not.
What are the following? Wolfman is worth that much more than a Karve, or a Timeless, or an ATT

A Wolfman COSTS more than the above. What it's WORTH is very much dependent on the buyer, or the user, and whether they value mystique, fit, finish, performance - or perceived value for money. Resale value, which will change over time, is but one indicator as well. The debates, on this forum and elsewhere, is if a $400 DE is 100% better than a $200 DE, for example. Does it perform 100% better, and is it worth the 100% premium? For some, it is, for others, not so much. All are DE razors that shave your face. Same for electrics. In fact for DE razors, the differences are much less distinguishable, and probably matter less than the differences between electrics.

Last edited:
The other interesting observation is that modern electrics cost about the same, or less, than the top or even medium tier DE razors, deliver arguably about the same shave - or at least an acceptable shave - in most hands, and are arguably faster and more comfortable for many, yet are somehow many times perceived as inferior tools for the job, or at most to be used for "emergency" shaves. I use multiple electrics and DE razors, and the only real deficits I've found in electrics are 1) recurring costs, and 2) longevity compared to DE razors. You could argue that electrics are noisier (they are), and they need electricity (they do), but you could also argue that you need water with a DE (you do - and you don't with an electric), and that you might cut yourself with a DE (you might). So all things being equal, electrics or DE razors are equally useable (with actually a steeper learning curve with a DE), deliver equally at least acceptable shaves, and are equally effective methods for removing hair from your face in the hands of many users. At least - in my experience.

The other interesting observation is that modern electrics cost about the same, or less, than the top or even medium tier DE razors, deliver arguably about the same shave - or at least an acceptable shave - in most hands, and are arguably faster and more comfortable for many, yet are somehow many times perceived as inferior tools for the job, or at most to be used for "emergency" shaves. I use multiple electrics and DE razors, and the only real deficits I've found in electrics are 1) recurring costs, and 2) longevity compared to DE razors. You could argue that electrics are noisier (they are), and they need electricity (they do), but you could also argue that you need water with a DE (you do - and you don't with an electric), and that you might cut yourself with a DE (you might). So all things being equal, electrics or DE razors are equally useable (with actually a steeper learning curve with a DE), deliver equally at least acceptable shaves, and are equally effective methods for removing hair from your face in the hands of many users. At least - in my experience.
I just had a very enjoyable 99.9% BBS shave with my Braun Series-7. I knocked down 3-days worth of growth in about 12 minutes. For my preshave I used Flag & Sail Electric Preshave. After a warm water rinse I finished my shave with a splash of Aqua Velva Musk AS. With proper prep and technique any shaving method can give good results.

Clayton

Top Bottom