What's new

Is the Simpson 58 Best Badger a good all rounder ?

Hello Everybody,

I am considering getting a new Best Badger brush.
After reading a lot of opinions, I have settled on a Simpson 58 for reasons I cannot recall and would like it if somebody can please advise me if this is a good option.

For some background, I am using a Semogue 1520 Boar brush and a Tweezerman badger brush (Knot +/- 22mm loft +/- 55mm).

I mostly puck lather/face lather, but I would like a brush that can perform well for bowl lathering as well.

Thanks,
Ian.

Last edited:
That sounds like as good a choice as any, considering you want to do both. I have seen that advised before. I ended up getting a Keyhole 3 on Amazon in Best earlier this year on a killer deal. I don't love it, but I do use it. If you wait, you can pick up something in Super for under $100.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a 58 in Manchurian and the handle shape is lovely. It lathers beautifully and is a pleasure to use. I face lather but the longer handle would also suit a bowl if that is your choice. Apart from Manchurian, my choice would be Best badger as I enjoy the backbone and find Super to be too soft and lacking in face feel. Best can be variable though with some being close to Super and some being scrubby with a little scritch, I prefer the latter. Good luck.

20211109_213338.jpg

That sounds like as good a choice as any, considering you want to do both. I have seen that advised before. I ended up getting a Keyhole 3 on Amazon in Best earlier this year on a killer deal. I don't love it, but I do use it. If you wait, you can pick up something in Super for under $100.
Thanks.
I see the Keyhole 3 is the same diameter as the 56, but 5mm longer, so I imagine it has less backbone than the 50's brushes ?
The dimensions of these brushes are all fairly close, so it's hard to judge what the effect of an extra mm or two will have without actually using them all.
What don't you like about the Keyhole 3 ?

I have a 58 in Manchurian and the handle shape is lovely. It lathers beautifully and is a pleasure to use. I face lather but the longer handle would also suit a bowl if that is your choice. Apart from Manchurian, my choice would be Best badger as I enjoy the backbone and find Super to be too soft and lacking in face feel. Best can be variable though with some being close to Super and some being scrubby with a little scritch, I prefer the latter. Good luck.

View attachment 1360165
Thanks.
Do you have any idea how the Simpson Manchurian hair differs from their Best Badger ?

Thanks.
Do you have any idea how the Simpson Manchurian hair differs from their Best Badger ?
Thicker base, more backbone and a lot pricier.

Going through various producers and hair grades in the last year and guided by the kind folks of B&B here I would suggest a Zenith Manchurian as an all around badger brush. The other great Allrounder would be a Semogue Mistura.

Yet I know the call of Simpsons is strong…

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thanks.
The Manchurian hair is thicker and stiffer in the shaft and with softer tips, at least when compared to the more scritchy examples of Best. It does not hog lather as it is slightly less densely packed than Best in my experience. To be honest for me it is superior to Best but not enough to justify the cost. It may be an anomaly but my 58 has a higher than advertised loft which reduces the backbone a little. For a longer handled brush you might consider an M7 - they are sometimes available in Best, but I would avoid the Persian Jar as I found it rather floppy. Otherwise, as said above the Semogue brushes, especially in two band Finest, are superb. They are the only other brand I own apart from Simpson and their two band finest is every bit as good as Manchurian for me, and at a fraction of the price.

Thicker base, more backbone and a lot pricier.

Going through various producers and hair grades in the last year and guided by the kind folks of B&B here I would suggest a Zenith Manchurian as an all around badger brush. The other great Allrounder would be a Semogue Mistura.

Yet I know the call of Simpsons is strong…
Thanks, I was looking at the Semogue SOC Best Badger brushes as well -I quite like the wooden handles.
I will also check out the Zenith as an alternative.

Thanks, I was looking at the Semogue SOC Best Badger brushes as well -I quite like the wooden handles.
I will also check out the Zenith as an alternative.
The Zenith Manchurian brushes are incredible values. I love mine and I say that as an owner of 1 Zenith and well over 20 Simpsons. 1/3 of the price of Simpson Manchurian and in the same class IMO.

Top Bottom