What's new

Is the Semogue SOC worth 3X the price of an Omega pro boar?

Well I have 7 omega and they all have cheap plastic handles and I'm sick of it already. Besides I want to see what the hype is about with the semogue.

Have fun expanding your (boar) brush collection and happy shaves! Boars are great fun! :)

I prefer smaller brushes as well. For Omega's the 10065 and 10066 are perfect. For Semogues the 610 is the boss with the 620 and 830 right up there. However, nothing beats synthetics now days.

+1

boar02.jpeg
"I recommend synthetic brushes!"

Does the SOC handle feel cheap and light like those omega? Getting a little tired of omega with their cheap handles.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The price difference is the handle and maybe Semogue’s more discerning selection of boar bristle, if you think that matters at all. I’ve never had a SOC, but did thoroughly enjoy my 2000 before it died. I still regularly use and enjoy my Omega Pro 48. Yes, the handle is cheap plastic. I think you just have to accept that as part of the Italian barber brush experience.

B03-A26 from yourshaving.com

Try this and you’ll love it, feels better than omegas, better quality than what you have already for less money. If you like this and are still curious about the SOC, your decision will be easier. I really like my SOC, but love this zenith. I think this zenith should be THE first boar brush anyone buys. (Aluminum handle on the right).
8A572922-D142-444D-B70D-F941AF9E059C.jpeg

SOC below, wonderful soft knot, smaller handle than the zenith. Knot blooms once broken in and some who face lather don’t care for it, but I don’t find it to be an issue.
99EAC449-FFB1-4B8F-9413-2B7E22EF902A.jpeg

I have both and the 49 is my favourite Omega. Two (great) different brushes in my opinion and they both deserve a place in anybody's den. The difference in price is greatly justified by the awesome SOC handles, those Taj resin are simply gorgeous. The Omega has more backbone, the SOC has higher quality bristles, softer tips but in the big run it may become a little floppy.

B03-A26 from yourshaving.com

Try this and you’ll love it, feels better than omegas, better quality than what you have already for less money. If you like this and are still curious about the SOC, your decision will be easier. I really like my SOC, but love this zenith. I think this zenith should be THE first boar brush anyone buys. (Aluminum handle on the right).View attachment 1155583
SOC below, wonderful soft knot, smaller handle than the zenith. Knot blooms once broken in and some who face lather don’t care for it, but I don’t find it to be an issue.
View attachment 1155586

zenith is interesting. Do they have good backbone like omega? I prefer wood over metal handles. Any to recommend?

I have both and the 49 is my favourite Omega. Two (great) different brushes in my opinion and they both deserve a place in anybody's den. The difference in price is greatly justified by the awesome SOC handles, those Taj resin are simply gorgeous. The Omega has more backbone, the SOC has higher quality bristles, softer tips but in the big run it may become a little floppy.

"floppy" is the word that scares me the most when it comes to brushes. I mean, if I want a floppy one, I guess a synthetic might be better.

zenith is interesting. Do they have good backbone like omega? I prefer wood over metal handles. Any to recommend?
I would say slightly less backbone with softer tips, very close though. If you want loft and diameter similar to the pro in a wooden handle, I would go with the 506U SE or XSE (bleached or unbleached). The 507U is another option if you prefer a longer handle

^^ Best advice to the question asked of me about have zenith brushes. I would suggest a 57mm or shorter loft from a zenith of 26-28mm diameter. If you really want the extra backbone, the recommendation of the unbleached bristles would be a wise choice.

Im not a great person to ask about better options with omegas, as I found out I just don’t like them, either the feel and characteristics of the knots, or the overall feel of the brushes themselves. Zenith has plenty of variety to be found from the two main retail websites, allowing you to get one as soft and as firm as you choose. I also like semogue, but tend to speak on my preference for zeniths more often because they can be had for less money if you know where to look.

The tall zenith wood handle is wonderful. I recently acquired their extra soft horse with this handle in olive wood and it has become a fast favorite.

The Zenith brushes look amazing and I keep reading great things about them (particularly that aluminum boar and their Manchurians). Thanks for the link to the shop @Rustyshackelford–been wondering the best place to buy them. I feel a purchase coming on after the September GRUME!

Top Bottom