What's new

Is the Semogue SOC worth 3X the price of an Omega pro boar?

Based on connaught prices, for one Semogue SOC, one can get 3 Omega Pro 49 after VAT deduction.

Is the SOC worth the premium price? Isn't the handle hollow like the Omega brushes except in wood?

Semogue SOC £21.50
Omega 10049 £6.50

I have both, the SOC out of the Box was smoother than the 49 and the handle (C5 Ivory Resin) is way nicer on the SOC. Broken in both feel great and lathering (Puck & bowl) is a joy. So if you already have a 49 get the SOC otherwise get the 49 first to see how you like the light handle. My next one coming up is an aluminum handled Zenith that is priced in between those two.

I have both, the SOC out of the Box was smoother than the 49 and the handle (C5 Ivory Resin) is way nicer on the SOC. Broken in both feel great and lathering (Puck & bowl) is a joy. So if you already have a 49 get the SOC otherwise get the 49 first to see how you like the light handle. My next one coming up is an aluminum handled Zenith that is priced in between those two.
I have the omega 104 which should be pretty similar to the 49.

Based on connaught prices, for one Semogue SOC, one can get 3 Omega Pro 49 after VAT deduction.

Is the SOC worth the premium price? Isn't the handle hollow like the Omega brushes except in wood?

Semogue SOC £21.50
Omega 10049 £6.50

The SOC handle is solid wood (cherry or ash) or solid resin in faux ivory or butterscotch. It is a much better handle quality-wise than the abc plastic that Omega uses.

Whether the bristles and knot is better than the 49 is a matter of personal preference. The way that the knots are constructed is quite different.

Since you already own the 104, what is it that you seek in another brush?

The SOC handle is solid wood (cherry or ash) or solid resin in faux ivory or butterscotch. It is a much better handle quality-wise than the abc plastic that Omega uses.

Whether the bristles and knot is better than the 49 is a matter of personal preference. The way that the knots are constructed is quite different.

Since you already own the 104, what is it that you seek in another brush?

The omega 104 is great. I prefer it over the other smaller omega which I have. But I'm just curious how a semogue would perform.

I use creams and I face lather. No soaps, no bowl lather. So I don't know if it's going to be a good brush for me.

I have 3 Semogue's and the omega 48 pro and gave the omega 10066 to one of my son's. The 10066 was probably the best brush of the lot. I do enjoy them all for different reasons, so i say just buy them all and put them in your rotation can't go wrong with any of them really.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Worth the price is always heavily dependent on personal preference.

To me it's easily worth the difference and more. But the only Omega brush I have was $20 many years ago and smelled funky for weeks. It looks nice on my shelf. But I use one of my Semogues - none of my 5 ever smelled - almost every day.

But Omega makes nicer brushes than the 10049 and lots of people like them.

The omega 104 is great. I prefer it over the other smaller omega which I have. But I'm just curious how a semogue would perform.

I use creams and I face lather. No soaps, no bowl lather. So I don't know if it's going to be a good brush for me.

I don't own the 104 or the 49, but I have smaller Omegas, the 10098 and quite a few Semogues including the SOC. The SOC is densely packed and exhibits a large bloom. As such it feels less springy and with a bit less backbone than similar sized Omegas, closer to badger brushes. It is a quality brush with one of the most comfortable handles I have encountered, both for face and bowl lathering. That said, it is still a boar brush, so don't expect it to be that much different from what you already have.

For me, the knot size of both the 49 and the SOC is too large for face lathering, but I like smaller brushes anyway.

As far as value is concerned, IMHO you can get the job done perfectly with cheaper options. Unless you are set on trying a Semogue or prefer the face feel of boars etc., I would seriously look for a synthetic in that price range. In terms of performance you might find them better and since you have the 104, a synth would add more variety to your shaving routine.

I don't own the 104 or the 49, but I have smaller Omegas, the 10098 and quite a few Semogues including the SOC. The SOC is densely packed and exhibits a large bloom. As such it feels less springy and with a bit less backbone than similar sized Omegas, closer to badger brushes. It is a quality brush with one of the most comfortable handles I have encountered, both for face and bowl lathering. That said, it is still a boar brush, so don't expect it to be that much different from what you already have.

For me, the knot size of both the 49 and the SOC is too large for face lathering, but I like smaller brushes anyway.

As far as value is concerned, IMHO you can get the job done perfectly with cheaper options. Unless you are set on trying a Semogue or prefer the face feel of boars etc., I would seriously look for a synthetic in that price range. In terms of performance you might find them better and since you have the 104, a synth would add more variety to your shaving routine.

Well I have 7 omega and they all have cheap plastic handles and I'm sick of it already. Besides I want to see what the hype is about with the semogue.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

I prefer smaller brushes as well. For Omega's the 10065 and 10066 are perfect. For Semogues the 610 is the boss with the 620 and 830 right up there. However, nothing beats synthetics now days.

Top Bottom