What's new

Is the Semogue SOC boar a good brush?

I owned the SOC and after 6 months, the knot fell out. I wasn't going to send it back from Australia to Portugal so tried to glue it back in but the "waterproof" glue cracked and the knot fell out again after about a year. After more research, it appeared that others had the same problem with their SOC's so it's something to watch out for.

After the second failure, I tossed it in the bin. That said, the boar hair used was first class and broke in very, very nicely. Made and held and huge amount of lather. The handle felt great in the hand too so I was pretty bummed.

I replaced the SOC with the Semogue 620. This brush is bomb proof and has travelled with me without problems. That said, the 620 doesn't have the same quality boar bristles as the SOC does and still feels pretty stiff and scratchy after about 2 years. It is, however, easier to control the smaller loft and can easily get 2 passes with it.

Wow that's interesting to know. I didn't know the knot would fall off. Did you soak the entire brush in water or just the bristles before you use it?

SOC Taj Boar loft is a little shorter and this difference makes it a much better brush.
I believe SOC is the best boar ever made.
IMG_20200911_014405.jpg

Of Semogue boars, the Barbear classico LE was my favorite, then the 1470 then the SOC. All were very close though. Definitely a great brush... but the 1470 was such a steal, I'd recommend you try it first.

Usually a knot that pops out of a handle is an easy fix. You just clean up the glue from both surfaces if needed and then silicone in the two items together. you can use epoxy of course, but I like to be able to switch things around later if I feel like it and silicone just makes that a whole lot easier.

(Sent from mobile)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The SOC boar is one of my favorite brushes for bowl lathering. I find the handle the best in the business. For a couple of years I alternated daily between two (one ash handle and one cherry). It's a fine brush for face lathering if you like a big brush - and it splays pretty wide - but it's a little light on backbone for some face latherers. I don't find it a lather hog at all.

The SOC TSN LE is probably better for face lathering, but I don't find the smaller handle as comfortable.

I really like the SOC 2 band badger for face lathering.

It's pretty expensive for a boar so I don't want to waste my $$$ on a dud. Just need some opinions. I face lather mostly.
And, Slanterino, did you finally buy one? I am curious. I just bought one and am currently breaking it in. I was curious on this brush reading this thread and others. I bought it with the TAJ handle.

I have now used the 1800 about three times, and it is one sweet little brush - clearly giving the 1250 a run for its money. The premium 90% tops give the 1800 a feel similar to the 2000. The bit that I did not see coming is how the 1800 and the 2015 HD feel like siblings. Could not be happier!

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have the soc boar and its a wonderful brush, one of my favourites. Soft tips yet still good backbone. Would recommend for sure. I got one of the wood handle ones, forget what kinda wood it is.

And, Slanterino, did you finally buy one? I am curious. I just bought one and am currently breaking it in. I was curious on this brush reading this thread and others. I bought it with the TAJ handle.
No, I don't have it.

I won one in a pif in january together with the 2000 and omega 49. Unfortunately it did not arrive so I don't have a chance to try it out. It's been 2.5 months already so I doubt it's going to arrive.

I'll probably get one next time when the opportunity arises.

I have the soc boar and its a wonderful brush, one of my favourites. Soft tips yet still good backbone. Would recommend for sure. I got one of the wood handle ones, forget what kinda wood it is.
If it's dark, it's probably Cherry. If it's light, it's probably Ash.

1617981345824.png 1617981423148.png

If it's SOC, it's definitely Awesome! :cool:

Last edited:
If it's dark, it's probably Cherry. If it's light, it's probably Ash.

View attachment 1248883 View attachment 1248884

If it's SOC, it's definitely Awesome! :cool:

Based on my experience, it's not that simple. It seems that the light colored wooden handled Semogue brushes sold in the US are made from beech and/or oak, and that the equivalent brushes sold in Europe are made of ash. Check out Maggard in the US, and Gifts & Care, The Portuguese Factory and Vintage Scent in Europe. Because I prefer ash, I have bought these brushes from sellers in Europe.

Please shout out if you see otherwise. I do wonder if this is the result of some esoteric export/import regulation.

I'm just curious but can this beat the omega pro boar?
They are different, not exactly comparable. The SOC is very dense, with Semogue's Premium grade bristles. It becomes very soft over time and blooms into a larger size. If you prefer to face lather, there is a brush that is quite similar to the SOC, but with a lower loft that does not become so big.

This is the Semogue Torga C5 Premium boar. I got this one instead of the SOC. 24/50 mm instead of the SOC's 24/55 mm knot. Solid resin handle. I'm very happy with this brush. One of my other favorite boar brushes is the Zenith B03-A26. The Omega 49 is still an excellent brush, also.

fixed-four-base-4.png

Last edited:
Based on my experience, it's not that simple. It seems that the light colored wooden handled Semogue brushes sold in the US are made from beech and/or oak, and that the equivalent brushes sold in Europe are made of ash. Check out Maggard in the US, and Gifts & Care, The Portuguese Factory and Vintage Scent in Europe. Because I prefer ash, I have bought these brushes from sellers in Europe.

Please shout out if you see otherwise. I do wonder if this is the result of some esoteric export/import regulation.
Are you referring to all Semogue brushes or just the SOC? I ask because the only SOC boar brushes I have ever seen advertised with wooden handles indicate either Ash or Cherry.

Based on my experience, it's not that simple. It seems that the light colored wooden handled Semogue brushes sold in the US are made from beech and/or oak, and that the equivalent brushes sold in Europe are made of ash...

I have a 1250 in oak purchased from the UK. I think Semogue offers a choice of woods on bulk orders, and then each store decides which ones they want to stock.

No, I don't have it.

I won one in a pif in january together with the 2000 and omega 49. Unfortunately it did not arrive so I don't have a chance to try it out. It's been 2.5 months already so I doubt it's going to arrive.

I'll probably get one next time when the opportunity arises.
I hope you are soon able to get one - I really like it and am looking forward to the shave tomorrow.

SOC boar = worst boar (and brush) I've ever used. It was especially awful at face-lathering using a shave stick. Natural brushes tend to steal your lather, but this one took the cake in that regard.

I hate to agree. I have the both the SOC in badger and boar, and they are both beautiful, well-made brushes with very comfortable handles. However, the SOC boar just never worked for me, and I gave is more than ample time to break in. Although I mostly use synthetic brushes now, with only the very occasional, mostly nostalgic, use of some silvertips, I've tried many boar brushes over the years, and still find that the cheapo plastic-handled little Omega 10065 is the best. YMMV.

Top Bottom